Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refer madness!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
Here it is the second day and running perfect! I have a nice 1940s ribbed glass pitcher with a glass lid on the top that sits inside... I keep water in it and when I have fresh oranges, I juice them and put the juice in that... also, I have some old milk bottles that I've cleaned out and I put milk in them... I also cut out some paper lids for them as well. lol I know, I'm a nerd!

I'm trying to keep things in this fridge that are vintage styled... and trying to eat whole foods... along the same lines as the 30s and 40s life styles.

Last night I bought a carton of Breyer's All Natural ice cream... that fits nicely into the small freezer! lol... with very little room for anything else... lol That's ok, cuz, I don't eat much frozen foods.

=R
Not a nerd at all, Rob. Great job! Thanks for sharing the pictures and descriptions.
Ashley

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Sure do...

insidegefrigeth4.jpg

The light don't work for some reason... put a new bulb in it... not sure how to get it fixed.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Looks you're about due to defrost there. Get your drip pan ready.

Yeah, just thawed it out today... used a 40s hairdryer too... lol Works great, gets it all done in 20 minutes!

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Just noticed the milk bottle is right,...but is that a real vintage pizza box in there too??

No, not a vintage pizza box... lol I don't eat vintage pizza lol

Here's a photo of the fridge now after I cleaned it out a little and defrosted the freezer.

gegutsqc5.jpg

PS: the bowl is a GE bowl I found at an antique shop for $5 bucks! How about that!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
That all looks great.
I grew up with a fridge that my mother covered with paisley red and white fabric. (When Crafts Goes Bad!)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forgotten Man said:
Yeah, just thawed it out today... used a 40s hairdryer too... lol Works great, gets it all done in 20 minutes!

No, not a vintage pizza box... lol I don't eat vintage pizza lol

Here's a photo of the fridge now after I cleaned it out a little and defrosted the freezer.

gegutsqc5.jpg

PS: the bowl is a GE bowl I found at an antique shop for $5 bucks! How about that!

Ok, looks like you have the makings for French Toast today. ;) :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
RetroToday said:
Sweet fridge, 1939's a great year for style!

About your painting idea - The original paint is porcelain enamel (most likely), much harder than our regular paint today. They usually baked it after it was sprayed on too, very durable. I can't tell from the photos just how bad the condition really is, but you may not have to repaint it unless there's areas that are chipped or rusted through. Looks like most of it is a lot of shop grease that got onto it from dirty hands over the last 60+ years.

Super Fine steel wool dipped in automotive hand cleaner and a lot of elbow grease (& caution) might get it looking fairly shiny once again.

ps: Do you have the metal icecube tray? I believe this fridge would have had one.

No, only the DeLuxe model GE scotch-yoke refrigerators had porcelain cabinets. FM's icebox has a Glyptal (synthetic enamel based on a Bakelite resin) finish. A modern Acrylic enamel with a bit of flatttener added will duplicate the original finish quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy