Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refer madness!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
That GE looks very similar to my Hotpoint- I believe they were made the same year. Ours started out looking a lot like yours, but add a whole lot of bat droppings from being stored in a barn! We did take the plunge and had it painted Coca-Cola red in a body shop; however baking the enamel on also baked the wiring and the compressor. We had those replaced and it works like a charm now, and is quite efficient. The whole project cost about $600, but it sure beats buying a new fridge!

cokefridge.jpg

100_2728.jpg

Here's a source for gaskets and parts, if you need any... http://www.antiqueappliances.com/parts.htm

freebird

Practically Family
cool fridge, can't wait to see it when it's finished.

When I was in my 20's I shared an apartment with a friend of mine. It was in an old house built around the time of statehood, 1907 or thereabouts. Whoever had sectioned it off for apartments didn't leave much room for dressers or even multiple bedrooms, so I slept in what was supposed to be the kitchen/dining area. (open floorplan).

Someone had left one of these old fridge's in there and not having a place to keep my clothes, shoes and personal items, I used the fridge. I put my Shoes in the freezer, which was on the bottom, and my belts in one of the storage bins, cologne went in the door, pants and shirrts folded and on the shelf. It worked out wonderfully. Thing was, the fridge was in pristine condition, and had my friend not had a fridge we'd probably used it.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Bump... with an update!

And now news from the front... the restoration process has halted due to lack of time... however as of this week, restoration has resumed and is nearing completion.

Primer has been sprayed and sanded, sprayed and sanded. Enamel will be sprayed later today.

Last night the interior of the unit was cleaned and came out very nicely. Here is a photo of the two drawers, one cleaned and one not cleaned to show a before and after effect.

gedrawerswo3.jpg

More photos to come soon,

=R

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Sweet Leilani said:
That GE looks very similar to my Hotpoint- I believe they were made the same year. Ours started out looking a lot like yours, but add a whole lot of bat droppings from being stored in a barn! We did take the plunge and had it painted Coca-Cola red in a body shop; however baking the enamel on also baked the wiring and the compressor. We had those replaced and it works like a charm now, and is quite efficient. The whole project cost about $600, but it sure beats buying a new fridge!

cokefridge.jpg

100_2728.jpg

Here's a source for gaskets and parts, if you need any... http://www.antiqueappliances.com/parts.htm

Coke Zero in a classic fridge? Sacrilege! :eek: J/K

That dose have an overall general style of mine... same shape and same construction... mine just as a different door style with the fluted pattern that flows from the GE logo to the bottom.

I'm not crazy about "Hotrod" fridges... multi colored or themed... I'm kinda boring I guess, mine is going to be straight white.

Anyway, I appreciate the link... I'll keep that handy if I need anything for my fridge!

Cheers,
-R

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Before paint...

Here she is... before paint as you may recall:

gels7.jpg

And now after a few coats of primer.

1940geprimerhp8.jpg

Also, a look at the nice clean inside!

1940gedooropenlk0.jpg

I have the little section that fits under the door... it's hanging right now after two coats of enamel. When that dryes, I'll wet sand it with 1000 grit and get it really smooth! Then, polish it to a nice gloss!

The guts are just waiting to go back in... it's going to be a great day when I have this pup in my kitchen! Oooh yeah! I'll take photos... count on it!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, I have the bottom part that covers the motor just about finished. I was thinking of giving it another coat but, it looks fine. I wanted to have a mirror finish on this but, I recall that I can't bake this enamel on how they would have done it originally. This is a backyard paint job... I can do it well but, it wont be a factory finish. I'm also runnin' out of paint and I don't care to make any more trips to Home Depot. It's going to look nice, it's already looking 100% better then it did before I started.

I'll be happy when I'm finished with the second coat and after sanding it down to a smooth touch... then, giving it that nice hand rub luster with some polishing compound.

PS: It is so hot out back... if there wasn't any shade; I'd wait to finish this in November... lol

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
well it sounds like everything is going along smoothly!! I bet you're proud of this project!! Heck, who doesn't want a vintage refridgerator! :)

and yes, it was way too hot today, ...as always... hope it's cooler tomorrow, this heat is killing me..

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man said:
Coke Zero in a classic fridge? Sacrilege! :eek: J/K

LOL- when you're diabetic, you don't have much choice! It sure beats Diet Coke- I just wish it came in glass bottles...

Seriously, tho- good job so far. It'll be really neat to have up and running. It's a lot of fun and everyone will comment on it! :)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Well, I put one more coat of RustOleum appliance enamel on it, let it dry, and wheeled it in the house... with a little help of course... this thing weighs as much as my '46 Plymouth dose! lol Tomorrow, I'll wet sand it in the house, towell it down, and polish it with a fine polishing compound... then, she'll be finished! But, she's plugged in and running nice and quiet... super quiet! And getting nice and cold... ahhhhhhhhhhh... nice! And the little thermometer on the door seems to be working... says it's just right! Hahaha.

I give you, the freshly painted 1940 GE Deluxe!

1940geinsiderg5.jpg

So, what do ya'll think?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Dankeschön! :)

I really worked hard on this little guy... I just have one problem with the fridge... I noticed that the light inside wasn't working... so, I figured it was a burned out bulb... I replaced the bulb... nope, that bulb didn't work either... I think there's some lose wires or something... not sure how to check them... I know nothing about refrigerators!

Any ideas gang?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy