Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remoulding lipsticks to fit mini tubes

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Having just bought a few small lipsticks to fit into my stratton lipstick compacts I'm wondering if it's possible to mould or reform lipsticks to fit into the tubes. The colours I have ar'nt my favourites and I can't find mini lipsticks in the right colours.

One of the lipsticks in the compact is the original alarming coral/orange shade and I'd just like to be able to change the lipstick whilst keeping the tube.

I know it was done during the war but I don't know how! Has anyone out there ever done this?

Louise Anne

Suspended
I have never done it but do have a idea how you could do it, like every thing it's always trial and error at first.

Vintage lipsticks were made by pouring the hot mixture into cylindrical aluminium moulds these had a point at the top and when cold a knife was run also to shape the top of the lipstick and the mould was them opened in half and the lipstick taken out and put into the case.

This is too complicated for home use.

So I would say.

a :- use a couple of very cheep lipstick and see in they would melt on a cooker ring in a water bath, a bake bean tin in a old pan is ok.
if you can do that and it sets hard again I think you be ok I do not know, and what temperature is needed to do it without burning
That's the first step I think to try out.

Next you need a mould making that you could reuse. the principle will be the same as making a candles with latex moulds look this up on craft sites how that done. the latex it about £9 for 1/4 ltr.

although I never done it with lipsticks it very close to what I do for a living and I feel it's very possible to do with ease with a little time for lipsticks.

If you need any more help then PM me , I did think once about doing some form of online workshop and working out a process, but working with hot liquids I could run into health and safety issues these days.

crwritt

One Too Many
This might help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoUGMgmKjZ8&feature=related

Now I realize the sound is not so good here, but she melts the liptick bits for 45 seconds in the microwave, pours it into a mold, and lets it set up in the freezer.
Then unmolds it and sets it in the tube. This looks like an easy process, the only difficult part being finding something suitable to use for a mold, since you are
making a mini size lipstick.

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
You need to find a piece of wood just the same size as the lipstick , then you dip it into liquid latex let it dry and dip it in again and again until you a decent thickness , might take a day or two. then let fully dry for a day or so
then you gently peel off the wood and you have your mould, and can melt and pour in the mixture ,with this method you do not have to grease the mould like in the video clip as the mould is flexible and you can peal it off.

here ia a page about mould making with latex

http://themodelmakersresource.co.uk/articles/article006.html

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I wonder if you couuld perhaps find a small length of PVC or other hollow tubing (perhaps clear pipe tubing, like for an indoor water line) from a home supply store, and simply cut to length and cap off an end? Grease the inside well then just cut it off after the lipstick re-hardens.

Louise Anne

Suspended
That's an idea, what do they say ... costs nothing to ask!
What about also trying a small chemist shop or do you call them drug stores, just taking in your lipstick and tell them what your looking for .

try any where you think they sell small items in metal or plactic tubes .

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
^ I wonder if you couuld perhaps find a small length of PVC or other hollow tubing (perhaps clear pipe tubing, like for an indoor water line) from a home supply store, and simply cut to length and cap off an end? Grease the inside well then just cut it off after the lipstick re-hardens.

Maybe you could just split said tubing along its length and keep it together with twist ties or something until the stuff sets and then voila...I can't figure out how you would shape the business end of it, however.

crwritt

One Too Many
I think the plastic tubing idea is the best. Find the tubing with the right diameter interior, cut it to length and in half lengthwise. Use duct tape to hold it together and cover the end. Melt the lipstick, pour, freeze, unmold, and set into the tube, shape the tip with a warm sharp knife.

If duct tape will hold up to the heat?

Then I just thought of Paul's idea of finding a dowel the size of the lipstick,
then making a mold over it with aluminum foil.

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
I like how every one coming up with ideas, the simplest the best, only if it works!
This may sound stupid and may not work, if you use foil or tape you might be able to put water around it and freeze it into ice for the strength and keep it's shape.
hot liquid always set fast at the edge first so might not melt the ice!!!! who knows

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I am a fan of lateral thinking so the plastic tube idea sounds interesting (i'm doing a mental tour of my house now to think of anything suitable).

What I did in the end was even more basic though. I broke off the existing orangy lipstick and cleaned out the tube then did the same with my new lipstick and wiped around the sides of the lipstick with tissues until it was the right size then jammed it in! Not a very elegant solution but it'll do for now.

When I find something suitable for a mould I'll try the remelting and remoulding method!

crwritt

One Too Many
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I am a fan of lateral thinking so the plastic tube idea sounds interesting (i'm doing a mental tour of my house now to think of anything suitable).

What I did in the end was even more basic though. I broke off the existing orangy lipstick and cleaned out the tube then did the same with my new lipstick and wiped around the sides of the lipstick with tissues until it was the right size then jammed it in! Not a very elegant solution but it'll do for now.

When I find something suitable for a mould I'll try the remelting and remoulding method!

Good for you, doing it the quick and uncomplicated way. Now you have a few months (or as long as
that lipstick lasts) to figure out something that will work nicely as a mold, if you choose to go that route.

TheNightingale

New in Town
Well, that worked!

I would suggest that when you're ready for more mad-scientist-y attempts, a double boiler (even a rigged up Alton Brown type—they work just fine!) would work well for melting. Maybe "grease" the inside of the top part with a little coconut oil to keep the bowl from staining...

Tried thinking of a way for you to make a mold, but the other ladies have given you good advice so far as that goes!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I think I have the mould sorted for the next time! I'm going to nip into my friends school workshop (we both teach D&T but I'm not working at the moment) and use the vacuum former to create a reusable mould. I don't know why I didn't think if it sooner, being out of work has turned my brain to mush!

Louise Anne

Suspended
The lipstick, if it was metal there are tables about shrinkage allowances as I sure you already know, and lipstick should act in a simular way, by how much and will it make a differance is the question,
if it contract will it be on the diameter ,length or both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran