Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing Stiffener from Panama...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hi,
While out of NYC I had one of my panama hats re-flanged. The person did a good job but I noticed he added a bit of stiffener to the brim (he denied it but, hey, I know my hats!) I was wondering if anybody knows how to remove it to restore the hat to the way it was. I assume he used a spray as I saw he sold them as well. (white can, only said hat stiffener for felt and straw) Thank you.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I can offer you this information:

I shape my Panama straws by dampening them with water. If I want to shape the brim, for instance, I dab water on it with my fingers until it actual soaks right through and I spread it around both sides and work the brim until it is pliable. I then dab off the excess and dry the hat as I shape it.

The thing you may find interesting is that every time I've done this - and on several hats - the straw seems much more rigid when it dries than it did before. I like that because it holds the shape I wanted. It's not too rigid, just firmer than before the water. It's either the behavior of the straw to do this or it's that the water reactivates latent stiffener in the straw.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Before trying the water I'd like to ask Orlando, indeed. With Straw hats I'm always more cautious than with felt. He was not at the shope yesterday or the day before...

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
Before trying the water I'd like to ask Orlando, indeed. With Straw hats I'm always more cautious than with felt. He was not at the shope yesterday or the day before...

Be patient. I agree one slip up and you have a very damaged hat.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo