Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resistol Flatop - Uncommon Hat?

photogravity

One of the Regulars
Based on the little research I've done so far, it seems the Resistol Flatop was a short-lived hat in their lineup. There were others who also made similar hats, but just as with Resistol, it doesn't seem they were produced very long. A few days ago, as I was trolling around eBay, I spotted one in my size as an auction or BIN. As I have at times seen items sell for more than the BIN price and I liked the hat, I hit the BIN without too much hesitation. I patiently waited what seemed like an eternity for the hat to arrive, which it (finally) did today.

The hat appears to have been well-used, but in reasonably good condition.The felt is soft and thinner than any other hat I currently have. The liner has a spot or two that need to be cleaned and is a bit loose besides, but that's easily remedied. I love the funky style and the overall feel of the hat. This is my first Resistol and I am very impressed.

I don't really have a spot in the house with very good lighting, so I'll have to wait until later to get some better pics of the hat, but here's a little teaser.

Resistol Flatop - 6 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Resistol Flatop - 5 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Resistol Flatop - 1 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Resistol Flatop - 2 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Resistol Flatop - 3 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Resistol Flatop - 4 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
In my experience -- I have several -- Resistol fedoras were truly the value buy of yesteryear. The felt was good, the self-conforming sweatbands were comfortable, and their "Kitten Finish" felt was a delight to touch. Your Flatop looks something like the fedora worn by Darren McGavin in his "Mike Hammer" TV series back in the 1950s!

I also have a couple of flat top porkpies in the pile from other old brands. They were not as mainstream as other styles; short-lived around the middle of the last century.

photogravity

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. I'm really tickled to have found this hat. I agree with @Benzadmiral about the finish. It feels wonderful when you handle it. This hat doesn't specifically say that it is "Kitten Finish", so I don't know if it preceded that time, but as a cat owner I think it would qualify as such. ;)

photogravity

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking a "Beaver Twenty" might have been a step up from the "Kitten Finish"

That's good information to know. As this is my first Resistol and I'm so impressed with what I see, I'll be keeping an eye out for more of their vintage hats in the future.

The New Resistol Flatop is touted as "the first completely new hat style for men in a generation" it a 1956 issue (volume 26) of Esquire magazine.

Mystic

Practically Family
Based on the little research I've done so far, it seems the Resistol Flatop was a short-lived hat in their lineup. There were others who also made similar hats, but just as with Resistol, it doesn't seem they were produced very long.

I have a twin flat top to yours I got off ebay a couple of years ago. Except mine is an Adam premier. Wide ribbon back bow in a chocolate brown.

Here's the auction photo from when I bought it. It cleaned up nicely.
Adam%20Premier%20Flattop%20Brn.%20%206.5_zps8m4ya1yl.jpg
[/IMG]

photogravity

One of the Regulars
I hope the beaver content in the "beaver twenty" is higher than the kitten content in the "kitten finish" :)

As with tommyK, this one had me chuckling. :) I can see where the "kitten finish" would have been a selling point to folks because, after all, a lot of folks have petted a kitten at some point in their life and can relate to it. I'm quite sure there are a lot less people who can truthfully state they've petted a beaver. :eeek:

photogravity

One of the Regulars
I have a twin flat top to yours I got off ebay a couple of years ago. Except mine is an Adam premier. Wide ribbon back bow in a chocolate brown.

Here's the auction photo from when I bought it. It cleaned up nicely.

@Mystic do you have any after pictures of the hat? Also, I'm interested in seeing the a closeup of the edge. It looks to me like it has a Cavanagh edge. Very nice hat.

I would be surprised if one of these had a cav edge. Although not impossible, wasn't that feature generally reserved for the higher end products? Here are a couple of others...
IMG_7471.jpg IMG_7477.jpg IMG_7475.jpg

Tommy may be correct about the back bow being the standard on this style... I found no side bows. Even the puggary style ribbon on the Milan terminates in the rear of the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183