Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ribbon Treatments

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
So after looking at the buffet of hats, I would love to see close ups of all the sharp ribbon treatments that folks are having done. I figure it might be a good idea to consolidate all the various options, so that if nothing else we have a good place to reference options for custom jobs.

Just a thought!

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Here are two that I'll add.
PS1.jpg

Here is a back bow from Stevens
DB2.jpg

And a side bow on a Dobbs boater. What I loved about this boater is that I'm used to seeing the red and blue or the black ribbons. This was a nice change

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Who is Ben Johnson?
[video=youtube;JlV5Xj2xS9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlV5Xj2xS9s[/video]
[video=youtube;-xyHrABos4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xyHrABos4k&feature=related[/video]
He's the only person to have a recurring role in ANY John Wayne movie. Sgt. Tyree!

Last edited:
I do lots of fancy (some might say outlandish) ribbon work because I like it and because people ask for it. The ribbon work is often the most conspicuous thing distinguishing a custom hat from an off-the-rack offering, and I like to make distinctive hats.

But, you know, vanilla is still the most popular ice-cream flavor. And I still like plainer bows just fine.

Truth is, these days just about any "proper" hat makes its wearer stand out. (Yes, there are exceptions, such as those places where Western hats are routinely worn, but very few of us reside in those locales.) I've grown quite accustomed to the "nice hat" comments -- happens all the time -- but I very rarely hear any commentary specifically about the fancy ribbon work. Joe and Josephine Average just aren't that up on hats to articulate just what it is about the hat that makes it "nice."

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Thanks for the Ben Johnson clips.

He started out in Oklahoma and here in Kansas it was easy to find old timers who remembered having contact with him. A true gentleman and a real cowboy. Man, could he ride.

He had a great run through the westerns and some really great moments

Thanks again.

Sam

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
So after looking at the buffet of hats, I would love to see close ups of all the sharp ribbon treatments that folks are having done. I figure it might be a good idea to consolidate all the various options, so that if nothing else we have a good place to reference options for custom jobs.

Just a thought!
This was my nightmare project I started 2 days ago and just finished tonight. I wanted something new for my Dobbs 15X OR and the original band was toast, so I decided to make a band and new bows, there are two on the hat, to give it a "two tone" effect. The pictures from my cell phone sort of stink, but you can get the idea of what I painfully did..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy