Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolled brim - what can be done?

rrog

A-List Customer
I recently purchased a Stetson Royal Deluxe on eBay. It has what I believe to be a rolled brim. It's very stiff and in the rolled up position. I'd like to use this as a project hat and bash it and re-shape the brim as well. Can a rolled brim be unrolled or re-shaped or worked with with any success? I'm probably not using the correct terminology, so bear with me. If needed, I can post pics.

It's also too big, so I'd like to try shrinking it. Any suggestions about that? I read recently about sewing in another sweat band, so that might be an option I could do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
From the sounds of it, you bought a homburg - probably a Stetson St. Regis. The brim is intended to be stiff to remain in place, unlike the snapable brim of a fedora. Many have asked about converting a homburg to a fedora and the answer is always "leave it alone, if you want a fedora, buy a fedora."

If you can post photos, it would be easy to be certain on this point.

Read this.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's someone who has been able to do it. You should know that he's really getting into making hats and has had a lot of practice at major modifications. Do not attempt this unless you're willing to ruin your hat.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
From Homburg to Fedora

I had the same need once I bought an Homburg that has demaged the brim ribbon, so I decide to unstitch it and to iron the brim and to block the crown by hand using steam.

The hat was a Stetson St. Regis from the early 50's, and this is the ressult.

rrog

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
Here's someone who has been able to do it. You should know that he's really getting into making hats and has had a lot of practice at major modifications. Do not attempt this unless you're willing to ruin your hat.

That's exactly what mine looks like. Okay, not exactly, but pretty dadgum close. One difference between that one and mine is that the brim binding is not the same top and bottom. The bottom/outside part of the binding is much larger than the top/inside part of the binding. I'll try to get a couple of pics set up.

Rick

Well, rrog, even though I've done homburg conversions, I'm still inclined to advise against it. You CAN do it, and it CAN come out okay. But you could mess it up, too (this I know from firsthand experience, having screwed up a time or three myself). If it's an old hat in nice shape, well, maybe you could swap it for something you're likelier to wear. I'd imagine there's at least one person around here who would be interested.

I once thought that homburgs just weren't for me. I've since changed my thinking. Indeed, my best hat, and one of the best hats I've ever seen, is a dark blue vintage Cavanagh homburg. It's a stunning example of the the fine craftsmanship and quality materials that once went into factory-made hats. I wouldn't dream of altering that lid in any way. And I happily wear it on those rare occasions when I really put on the dog. The other homburgs around here get used more than they once did. Indeed, a dark gray vintage Borsalino is among my more regularly worn lids. (I got both of 'em from our own Ande in Kansas, via the FL classifieds. It's a great resource.)

Good to see Fortino37 back with us. Now THERE's a hat guy. Really knows his stuff. Looks like that Stetson (former) homburg got its brim reduced some, eh Fortino?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's like taking a Packard and trying to turn it into a Cadillac. You have a gorgeous hat. Get used to the different look and feel of it. Experiment with different outfits. It's a more formal hat style. Check some of the other threads on the subject. Especially check out Winston Churchill and Michael Collins, maybe people like Adolphe Menjou and Anthony Eden. PLEASE, don't cut the hat!

rrog

A-List Customer
Fortino37 said:
I had the same need once I bought Dobbs Homburg that has demaged the brim ribbon, so I decide to unstitch it and to iron the brim and to block the crown by hand using steam.

Nice hat. Very nice. But what did you do with the stitching holes?

Rick

rrog

A-List Customer
First let me say thanks for all the input. As other newbies have said, this is a very helpful forum. :eusa_clap

Now here are some shots of the hat:

Front View:
000_0004.jpg

Side View of Brim Binding:
000_0006.jpg

Sweat Band:
000_0003.jpg

Me (to show why I don't think I'm a Homburg guy!):
000_0007.jpg

So by now, I guess we're all in agreement that it's a Homburg. Although I like the color, I don't think it's "me." Is sending it to a pro a viable option, should I just trade it in or is this hat more worthy of becoming a project hat? Oh and a little info regarding my options... The crown appears to measure 4 1/2" in front and back and 5" in the middle (can that be right?) and the brim is 2 1/4" as far as I can tell. It's probably not exact because the brim is rolled and hard to get an exact measurement. The size is 7 1/2. Counting the $15 shipping, I spent $46 for it. And the hat is in great shape. Again, thanks for the advice.

Rick

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Actually I think it looks good on you.
If I was a 7 1/2 I'd try to trade you for it, but I'm a 7 1/4.
7 1/2 is a desirable size, I imagine somebody will come up with a trade before too long.
Good luck. Bob.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The only thing that doesn't look good in that picture is the T shirt. That hat looks great on you. Try a cigar.
The thing about this whole hat thing, and the Lounge exacerbates it drastically, is that the more you wear them, and the more you experiment with different looks, the more you start seeing yourself in new, and cooler, ways. You just wait. At some point you'll look at yourself in the mirror with this hat on your head, and some snazzy outfit (not necessarily a three piece suit) and you'll think to yourself, "Man, that looks cool." And you'll be on your way. ;)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Put a listing in the Classifieds that you're looking for a trade. It can't hurt to try.

Your picture showing why you're not a homburg guy is unconvincing, however. It looks good on you.

I'm joining the chorus, rrog. That hat looks just fine on you. Real nice, I'd say. Imagine a brisk night in December, a holiday party to attend, your significant other all gussied up and hoping you'll go to similar lengths yourself.

dhermann1 kinda beat me to it, but what the heck, allow me to make essentially the same point ... For year upon year the only hats I wore with any regularity were of the Open Road variety -- you know, those Westernish jobs with the narrow ribbons and the widish brims. Had a bunch of 'em. (Still do.) I still like the style, but I now wonder why I ever so limited myself.

rrog

A-List Customer
Gentlemen, I appreciate the input. And let me say you're really good for the old ego too. I've seen some of your pictures in Homburgs and y'all pull it off better than me. I dunno, maybe it will grow on me.

Thanks again,
Rick

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
You Have F.D.D. (Fedora Dysmorphic Disorder)

You look GREAT in that lid, man! T - shirt included. Own it! Wear it around the house. Venture out into the yard. Then around the neighborhood. Gradually you will become less self-conscious and come to realize that the Homburg is you!

Beautiful hat!

frijoli

One of the Regulars
rrog said:
Gentlemen, I appreciate the input. And let me say you're really good for the old ego too. I've seen some of your pictures in Homburgs and y'all pull it off better than me. I dunno, maybe it will grow on me.

Thanks again,
Rick

I think it looks pretty good on you. It does not however look great with that shirt.lol

That's sort of a dressy style hat.

Clay

Edward

Bartender
I'm another one a-saying it's a keeper. Can't beat a Homburg for those nights on the town when you want to turn things up just a notch.... and as I've said before, if you want to 'soften' the look just a bit til you get used to it, you could always give the crown a little bit more of a fedora shape with some side dents. Great looking hat, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80