Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rotary Dial Cellphone? Fact and Fiction

20thCenturyTim

New in Town
Hello everyone! I am officially new in town, but I have visited a lot. As a retrophile, I tend to prefer the designs of things from 1900 to 1949. This includes telephones. I hate the design of about 98% of all cellphones. So, one day, for fun, I Googled, ?¢‚Ǩ?ìRotary Dial Cellphone.?¢‚Ǩ? And as I am about to acquire this 21st century technology, while not giving up my retro inspired, land line phone, I thought I would let you know what I came up with. I did not find anything I could really buy, but it was fun to look. By the way, if you know of any other retro or vintage themed cell phones out there let me know. I am inspired and in awe of all you retrophiles here at the lounge!

First, my favorite image! A great image from the fictional technology site, worth1000.com.
RotaryCell.jpg

Here are some others you can find at Worth1000.com
http://www.worth1000.com/cache/contest/contestcache.asp?contest_id=1677

Also, someone has succeeded in converting an old rotary dial desk phone into a cell phone. Appearances can be decieving!
Port-O-Rotary-Mini.jpg

http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorial/Port-O-Rotary/portable-rotary.htm

Nokia came out with this model, the 3650 in 2003, but no American carrier is still selling it I believe. And no basic black. But hey, they tried!
nokia_3650_2_velky.jpg

Here?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the latest. Very small, but closer in vintage design. Unlocked I think and compatible with some American carriers, but it costs $1500!!! Rats! Inner disc does move like a dial to scroll through menus. And the hinge can be flipped so that the screen is on top.
serene.jpg

http://www.serenemobile.com/

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
Great! I'm in the market for a new cell phone in the next month or so, and now I've got the perfect April Fool's prank for hubby! Thanks so much!!

Tamara
(who's cell phone ring is "Moonlight Serenade")

20thCenturyTim

New in Town
Cingular Bell!

CWetherby said:
Great! I'm in the market for a new cell phone in the next month or so, and now I've got the perfect April Fool's prank for hubby! Thanks so much!!

Tamara
(who's cell phone ring is "Moonlight Serenade")

I just want an old-fashioned ring. BTW, if I get a Cingular phone, I will either try to download this as a background or make a decal for the back of the phone. With MaBell having Cingular, this logo I made only makes sense! It will give it a little retro look anyway.
CingularBell.jpg

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
20thCenturyTim said:
I just want an old-fashioned ring. BTW, if I get a Cingular phone, I will either try to download this as a background or make a decal for the back of the phone. With MaBell having Cingular, this logo I made only makes sense! It will give it a little retro look anyway.

I WANTED an old-fashioned ring, but with the phone and company I have (Verizon) I couldn't find, midst the thousands of options, one decent old sounding ring. But I'm an absolute sucker for Glenn Miller, and "Moonlight Serenade" sounded so nice, I couldn't resist. I get lots of nice comments and smiles from people who hear it. I'd like to think they are grateful to hear something other than electronic beeping, but I do tend to live in my own fantasy world! And on that note, (electronic beeping, not fantasy worlds!) don't forget to sign on for the Great American Beep-Out! :)

20thCenturyTim

New in Town
CWetherby said:
I WANTED an old-fashioned ring, but with the phone and company I have (Verizon) I couldn't find, midst the thousands of options, one decent old sounding ring. But I'm an absolute sucker for Glenn Miller, and "Moonlight Serenade" sounded so nice, I couldn't resist. I get lots of nice comments and smiles from people who hear it. I'd like to think they are grateful to hear something other than electronic beeping, but I do tend to live in my own fantasy world! And on that note, (electronic beeping, not fantasy worlds!) don't forget to sign on for the Great American Beep-Out! :)

It would certainly be refreshing to hear your phone. How ironic that amongst thousands of choices you could not just find a "ring." I was surfing for vintage ringtones. "Real" phone sounds! I saw a link a few days ago and now can't find it. I will post it here if I find it again.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Some time ago there was a post of an attachment that was a vintage rotary phone handset. It plugged into your standard cell phone. It had a thick coiled wire just like an old phone. Get yourself a real ring tone,attach the old style handset...cell phone in bag...it should get an interesting reaction when in public!

Because of my work I have to have a cell. Don't want it, but I have to have it. Several years ago I went out looking for a razor thin phone. Vintage living to me means being unencumbered, so I had to have the thinnest phone possible. Well, all the retailers said there wasn't such a thing. Of course, now there is. So I plunked down the money for a Razor, and I have to say in some reagards it's a very reto phone, in that it is thin. Can't explain it. I guess it's akin to having a thin billfold wallet or a slim flask. It's just trim, trig, and, somehow, very 20th Century.

Regards,

Senator Jack

matei

One Too Many
Very neat pic - I wish it were real...

I too hate clutter and bulging pockets. I too went with the Motorola RAZR because it is very thin. My work phone is a massive piece of junk, a Siemens SP65. I keep it in my bag/briefcase otherwise it ruins the lines of my suit! :p

I think I will go with a "real" telephone bell as well, the problem is finding a WAV or MP3 file of one. I find that I have trouble hearing the phone when I use a polyphonic ring tone - for some reason it doesn't cut through the street/room noise like a plain old ring-ring-ring...

Speaking of old rotary phones... it may sound odd, but I love that "ca-chunk" sound they make when the receiver is placed back in the cradle. I don't know why - ever since I was a little kid I liked it. Maybe it is from watching the old films, you know - when the important call comes through and they slam the reciever back down after getting the hot tip?

It is a sound you don't get anymore with today's uber-small home cordless phones.

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
20thCenturyTim said:
It would certainly be refreshing to hear your phone. How ironic that amongst thousands of choices you could not just find a "ring." I was surfing for vintage ringtones. "Real" phone sounds! I saw a link a few days ago and now can't find it. I will post it here if I find it again.

Well....I probably could have spent more time looking for a ring, but there's only so long you spend on such a thing before giving up...besides, I AM a sucker for Glenn Miller! So there may have been one and I missed it. When I get my new phone, I'll have to do it all over again:confused:

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
So the Razor is a good one to consider? My hubby (who feels that he must always have the latest in technology--bah!) wants one and I hated to admit they were kinda cool looking.... But if you guys can recommend it based on your experiences with it, then that just might be the ticket! Besides, they do come in PINK!! :) (Pink for me, not hubby...)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A word on cell companies too... I, my friends and family have had every company and found Verizon is the best in all respects at least in Southern California.

Lion

New in Town
Twitch said:
A word on cell companies too... I, my friends and family have had every company and found Verizon is the best in all respects at least in Southern California.

That really does depend on location. I've had great luck with TMobile from KC to PA. But, having worked for them, I know that they have (or at least had) LOTS of trouble in CA.

The best thing to do is talk to as many people with as many diferent providers as you can. And as a general rule, don't trust the sales person. Another natiowide provider that I worked for discouraged honesty about coverage. They didn't actualy come out and tell you to lie, but it was HEAVILY implied.

Leo

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
Cell phone update!

Well! We went ahead and got the Razr. It's a lot nicer than the Kyocera I'd had and the best news is that it came with an old-fashioned ring, AND I can download an even better version of "Moonlight Serenade"! I'm a happy camper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW