Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Save a Suit, Lose that Wallet?

G

gwold

I've worked a job for nearly 15 years now where a suit is required, daily wear. In this time I've taught myself that a good suit, though costing more than a cheap one, is definitely worth it. Another thing I've learned is to put my wallet in my suit coat's breast pocket when I can. This is not because it's uncomfortable in a back pocket of my pants, but because in little time at all that wallet will wear a hole in my pants. Not a good way to lose a suit!

Having a wallet in my coat's breast pocket isn't a happy solution, either, though, as it bulges the coat and is an uncomfortable mass against my ribs. I don't have a large wallet, either. I carry relatively little cash, a couple of credit cards, and a couple of pictures of my kids. No big deal.

So, after moving from a tri-fold wallet to a two-fold, then to the suit coat pocket, I'm curious: How have you all decided to deal with this, or similar, problems? Those tall, flat wallets made for coat pockets? A money clip? A caring wife with a purse?

Edit: Oh yeah: and please explain why your solution works for you.

Greg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
An old (pre-decimalisation) wallet meant for the jacket pocket. It's not quite as convenient for cards as a modern wallet, but I keep them to a minimum, which also keeps the wallet slim so it doesn't add bulk.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
A slim wallet, with minimum cards. This I keep in an inside jacket pocket. I tend to keep cash to a minimum.
If I don't have a jacket I just put a couple of cards and the odd note in my key case which is small enough to fit in my hip pocket.

Despite all the options the key is to travel light with your wallet contents.

This presents another question to me; where do you gentleman keep your mobile/cellular phones, when you carry them?

My preference is in a top waistcoat pocket, most waistcoats I have the pocket is such that you wouldn't even know that it was in there.

DerMann

Practically Family
Wallets designed for jacket pockets (sometimes referred to as secretary or checkbook wallets) are simply the best.

Got mine off eBay for $15, and it's great. Keeps my cash (if any :eek: ), credit card, ATM card, and IDs whilst maintaining a very slim shape.

No bulge produced on the exterior of the jacket. The only thing that bothers me, though is when it rests against an arm rest and pokes out.

univibe88

One Too Many
I carry a money clip with some cash, my Amex and license in my front trouser pocket and I keep a "coat" wallet with all of my plastic and check book in my briefcase. If I need more items and I won't have my briefcase in tow, the coat wallet fits nicely in the breast pocket of my suit.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Slim Clip part 2

I have not experienced any wear problems from the slim clip as of yet. I have been using it since the middle of December before I went down to Mexico. The edges really aren't that bad. Instead of ordering my online I found it in the infamous "as seen on tv" section of Walgreens.

Cheers,

Scott

CaptainB

Familiar Face
I'm wearing a double sided stainless-steel money clip with the money on one side and my driving license and student card on the other. Before using the clip I always had many cards with me, but I learned to carry only the ones I really need since :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Big problem over the years. Do not like the slim check book style, just not for me.

What has worked is a small trifold that snaps closed. I can close my key into the wallet and it has a snap for a valet key if I choose.

Old Ghurka. I never carry money so DL Credit, card etc fits right into the wallet, into my front pocket I do not even know it's there.

No discomfort, no wear and tear.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I´ve never carried anything in the back pocket of my pants. I was too afraid to break the stuff when I sit down, as nearly all of my friends already did (one phone, two credit cards. I know why I hate the slim modern cell phones).

I carry the wallet in the breast pocket and you´re right, it doesn´t fit to some of my more tight jackets. However, if you carry the change outside the wallet, the problem disappears. All in all, my cell phone is much "fatter" than my wallet, and my breast pocket can bear it.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
bombayjack said:
Would you guys mind posting a picture of these long, thin "checkbook" wallets? I'm intrigued.

DSC09152.jpg

DSC09153.jpg

armod

Familiar Face
this...
1190-rogue-ccard-holder-5-pock-blkandred-image-1.jpg

together with a money clip.

it's light compact and there's no need to flash your cash when you're simply going to pay by card.

you can also put them in your pants or waistcoat pocket if you leave your jacket in a cloak room

spstogie

New in Town
My current
Solution is a money clip with my I'd & debit card in between the bills. A long slim wallet in the breast pocket for times such as traveling. The cash still remains in the front pocket.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
univibe88 said:
I keep a "coat" wallet with all of my plastic and check book in my briefcase. If I need more items and I won't have my briefcase in tow, the coat wallet fits nicely in the breast pocket of my suit.

This is also a good idea, I do something similar with the various other cards I may need. Some of the loyalty/discount card for example. Always carry the cheque book but it seems that lees and less people are using them now in the UK.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Aside from ruining your pants pocket a wallet in the back pocket can cause back problems due to sitting on the lump.

Amen...I threw my back out at one stage until the missus forced me to chuck out all these cards from blokes I will never meet again!lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy