Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 654 Casual Racer

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've owned a few Schotts too. Mine were certainly as well crafted as my Aero. The only thing I'd say is the lining materials were not quite there.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Oh don't be such a wimp! This was not a sarcastic response at all , just an exclamation of surprise.
If you want a banal set of responses to every Fonzie post like ' oh well said Fonz' then go join a self help group it will be more consistent for you. Informed debate , knowledge and opinion is what I'm looking for...it's interesting.
For the record , I have NEVER heard anyone attempt to put. Schott into the same quality bracket as those others you've quoted. That's it!
Now go and have a great weekend and stop worrying the world might be against you , I'm sure you'll find it's not. I certainly am not :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No time for your smart arse comments. You seem to enjoy controversy more than discussion.
For the record, there's plenty of forum members here that back up the claims about Schott.

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
I've owned a few Schotts too. Mine were certainly as well crafted as my Aero. The only thing I'd say is the lining materials were not quite there.

I posted elsewhere that I love the styles that Schott has and the leather seems ok. I'm with you though , it's the furniture , linings , zips etc that let Schott down in my opinion. I used a Perfecto as an example , all great until you look and feel the seeming cheap tinny belt. I sold my Perfecto and now have a Vanson and a Langlitz. IMHO there is no comparison the later being far superior quality.
The one Schott I have kept and loved over many years is the Sheepskin flying jacket ( Schott Irvin version). This has been great?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manolito

Familiar Face
I have just received my SCHOTT 654 in size small.

6541.JPG

For context, my size is about 37, and for the Schott Jackets, I have always been satisfied with the 38 or medium size.

For this jacket, the size advice from the schott website was Small. So I bought it this size Small in brown.

6542.JPG

The brown cowhide is beautiful, with a rich look, the leather is very good. It is quite thick for a Schott Jacket, more than the 141, 184, 618 for instance. And quite sturdy (but it is brand new and unbroken).

The fit is quite slim. The P2P measurement is about 20/21 inches, which tight for me.

It is very comparable to the Aero Board Racer in jerky Horsehide I had - very slim fit, no bi swings in the back or football beneath the arm - except that it does not have the super rigid kidney panel of the Board Racer.

Like the Board Racer, it tries to compensate the lack of action back options by adding space around the shoulders and the back. But it is not as noticeable here as on the Areo Cafe or Board Racers. And the 654 does not have the annoying problem of the very unconfortable (to me) collar of the Board Racer.

But as is said, it is a slim jacket with no action back system, and so you don't have a wide freedom of movement, especially when the jacket is zipped. The 141, often derided for its bulky look and its complex action back system, lets you a crazy freedom of movement. It is not the case here (as it was not the case with the Board Racer). It is ok for walking around hands in the pockets and looking cool, or for having a glass with friends at a café, but that is about it

I always thought that a slim cafe racer is a good looking style, quite sexy, but let's face it, it is not the most confortable one !

Let's notice that it has a wind flap, but it is a rather discret one. The lining is black polyester, like on the Schott 141. It is ok, nothing to write home about, but it does the job.

Well, anyway, a wearable jacket, made of high quality leather, a very good looking one anyway, in the very slim category. Not as unconfortable as the Board Racer and its "pain in the neck" collar, but not as confortable as the most classic schott design like the 613/8, 184, 141, 674 etc...

But as I said, it is brand new from Union NJ, so it has a time of breaking and stretching coming...

Last edited:

Al 916

One Too Many
654 is a great CR!

Occasionally you can find a good one from the 60s for sale in classifieds...

DSC_0066_1.JPG

Occasionally

Manolito

Familiar Face
I should add the this new 654 design is bit long (26 inches), which is just a tad long of me (the best back length for me being 25 inches). but still very wearable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80