Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 654 Casual Racer

Gamma68

One Too Many
Since joining this forum last November, I've picked up six leather jackets (one of which I've sold). As has been said before, this forum is addictive!

Here is the sixth, which I just picked up on deep clearance: a Schott 645 Casual Racer in brown cowhide. The tags are still attached because I don't know if it's "me" or not. I'm not a motorcyclist and the style is quite different from my A-1, A-2s and G-1. What do you guys think?

If I decide to keep it, should I try to avoid it getting wet in rain? (I'm not familiar with how cowhide would react.) Would rain reduce the shine (if that's considered desirable)?

Here are some fit pics:

Schott_1.JPG

Schott_2.JPG

Schott_3.JPG

Schott_4.JPG

Schott_5.JPG

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got the same jacket in black, also purchased at a good discount. Like you, my other jackets are primarily military. I got this one specifically because I wanted something different, and I've come to really like it.

I don't ride either, so this motorcycle-style jacket, which doesn't include important moto jacket features (heavy protective hide, sleeve zips that actually change the closure, side buckles or ties, a bi-swing back and gussets), is just fine. Alas, mine didn't fit nearly as well as yours, I needed the sleeves shortened several inches.

I wouldn't think twice about getting wet. I've worn mine in the rain, though never really gotten it entirely soaked. (A leather jacket you can't wear in the rain is pointless, no?)

Fonzie

One Too Many
I've had that same jacket for five years now in black cherry, a reddish brown colour, bought full price and with extra for delivery to Autralia and I don't regret it one bit.
It has become my go to/favourite jacket.
I have/had Aeros, Eastman, Real McCoy, etc and that Schott is as good as any of them. I've gotten mine rained in and wore in many occasions, dressed up and down, it's a very versatile jacket.
It has also developed a very, very nice patina overtime, I like it even more now.
My advice, keep it, wear it as much as possible and enjoy the results.

Fonzie

One Too Many
By the way, it's a casual jacket, not intended specifically for bike riding so it's a bit looser when unzipped and the sleeves not so narrow, but that's what makes it so versatile. Easy to layer under and works great with shirts.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks, guys. I didn't mean to imply that this is a jacket intended for biking -- I know it's a cafe style racer.

Good to know it's a versatile piece that works with many different shirts. And that rain is no problem!

BobJ

Practically Family
Since joining this forum last November, I've picked up six leather jackets (one of which I've sold). As has been said before, this forum is addictive!

Here is the sixth, which I just picked up on deep clearance: a Schott 645 Casual Racer in brown cowhide. The tags are still attached because I don't know if it's "me" or not. I'm not a motorcyclist and the style is quite different from my A-1, A-2s and G-1. What do you guys think?

If I decide to keep it, should I try to avoid it getting wet in rain? (I'm not familiar with how cowhide would react.) Would rain reduce the shine (if that's considered desirable)?

Here are some fit pics:

Schott_1.JPG

Schott_2.JPG

Schott_3.JPG

Schott_4.JPG

Schott_5.JPG

Beautiful jacket. Fits you to a tee and looks great. Leather is awesome - as nice as the Italian horsehide often shown around here. I just went over to Schott and didn't see any "deep clearance" going on - where did you find it one deep clearance? Thanks, Bob

Gamma68

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket. Fits you to a tee and looks great. Leather is awesome - as nice as the Italian horsehide often shown around here. I just went over to Schott and didn't see any "deep clearance" going on - where did you find it one deep clearance? Thanks, Bob

Thanks for the nice compliments, Bob.

I found this jacket at a Nordstrom Rack. They honored their online 75%-off price of $178.75. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Wow, that's amazing. And I thought I did well when I got mine for $200 off list at a Legendary USA sale!

"Softened up"? It's pretty soft mid-weight cowhide. Not like say, the heavy duty naked cowhide on the Schott bomber (674?) I had back in the eighties. It only required a little breaking in - it's closer to goatskin weight/flex than to heavy cow or horse.

Here's mine when new, right after I had the sleeves taken up - I hadn't even worn it outside yet:

Schott654d.jpg

Sorry, no recent shots. Apart from some sleeve creasing, it looks about the same.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
It has been said before, but probably needs repeating: Patina = wear on the surface of the hide. Graining = changes in the grain of the hide. They are different concepts.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gamma68,
I'd say that one is a keeper! The leather is a very nice color and the jacket goes well with your Ray-Bans. The body looks to be a bit on the long side, but I prefer to err that way myself rather than wearing a jacket that feels too short. Great score!

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
I've had that same jacket for five years now in black cherry, a reddish brown colour, bought full price and with extra for delivery to Autralia and I don't regret it one bit.
It has become my go to/favourite jacket.
I have/had Aeros, Eastman, Real McCoy, etc and that Schott is as good as any of them. I've gotten mine rained in and wore in many occasions, dressed up and down, it's a very versatile jacket.
It has also developed a very, very nice patina overtime, I like it even more now.
My advice, keep it, wear it as much as possible and enjoy the results.

Really?....you'd say Schott are the equal of Aero , Eastman , etc...wow that's quite a comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Oh don't be such a wimp! This was not a sarcastic response at all , just an exclamation of surprise.
If you want a banal set of responses to every Fonzie post like ' oh well said Fonz' then go join a self help group it will be more consistent for you. Informed debate , knowledge and opinion is what I'm looking for...it's interesting.
For the record , I have NEVER heard anyone attempt to put. Schott into the same quality bracket as those others you've quoted. That's it!
Now go and have a great weekend and stop worrying the world might be against you , I'm sure you'll find it's not. I certainly am not :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy