Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott steerhide

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
I am trying to find alternative of Aero cxl 4oz steerhide(might eventually go), I heard schott 618 steerhide is much substantial than their horsehide, can anyone share the experience of their steerhide? Thanks!

I am trying to find alternative of Aero cxl 4oz steerhide(might eventually go), I heard schott 618 steerhide is much substantial than their horsehide, can anyone share the experience of their steerhide? Thanks!

They're the same. While the Naked Cowhide is heavier than the two (had one that outweighed any Aero or Vanson I've seen), I never noticed any difference in weight between Schott Horsehide and Steerhide. It depends on the jacket, really.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

What do you mean by alternative? Do you mean another really heavy leather but with some different qualities, tell us more?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
For me this is not the case, my steer 618 is much heavier than my 618 horsehide. But still I don't think this is what you're after, its is heavy (3oz according to Schott) but not 4oz. It broke in really fast and easy, now it is really supple.
Amazing leather.

Edward

Bartender
Never owned a HH 618. Compared to Aero, though, my steer 618 is about the same weight as Aero's medium-weight steer that my HWM is made from. That Aero steer is about the same thickness at FQHH, but noticeably lighter and more supple from new. Somewhere I still have an Aero MC style - very similar to the 618 - made from that steer; actually a much nicer jacket than the Schott, but not cut for my bodyshape. (Unlike the boxier Schott, the Aero has a very pronounced nip in at the waist).

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Monitor - I like that Schott a lot. For me, this discussion about hide thickness is great to see, however there's an additional factor that should be considered, and this Schott 118 demonstrates it.

Start here: https://www.schottnyc.com/store/men/jackets/motorcycle

Now look at the 118 detail page: https://www.schottnyc.com/products/classic-perfecto-leather-jacket.htm?catID=7
Note this detail: 5.5 ounce fixed nylon poly-quilt insulated lining

This is important, as it pretty much makes these jackets a winter coat, not a "un-lined" or "lightly lined" leather jacket.

Note how many of Schott's jackets have a similar insulated lining. 118, 613, 618 (all models) etc...

This is the opposite of most newer M/C jacket vendors who are seeking to increase ventilation, not warmth.

For me, it's a deal breaker. I just get too warm with all that Poly-fill insulation around me. Not as warm as down feathers, but still much to warm for general wear. If it was zip or snap out, that helps a lot. These do not.

Something to consider.

Monitor - I like that Schott a lot. For me, this discussion about hide thickness is great to see, however there's an additional factor that should be considered, and this Schott 118 demonstrates it.

Start here: https://www.schottnyc.com/store/men/jackets/motorcycle

Now look at the 118 detail page: https://www.schottnyc.com/products/classic-perfecto-leather-jacket.htm?catID=7
Note this detail: 5.5 ounce fixed nylon poly-quilt insulated lining

This is important, as it pretty much makes these jackets a winter coat, not a "un-lined" or "lightly lined" leather jacket.

Note how many of Schott's jackets have a similar insulated lining. 118, 613, 618 (all models) etc...

This is the opposite of most newer M/C jacket vendors who are seeking to increase ventilation, not warmth.

For me, it's a deal breaker. I just get too warm with all that Poly-fill insulation around me. Not as warm as down feathers, but still much to warm for general wear. If it was zip or snap out, that helps a lot. These do not.

Something to consider.

Yep, spot on. All Schott jackets with quilted lining are warm. Like, winter-grade warm. I found it impossible to wear any of the Perfectos I've had on temperatures higher than 75f. Same deal with Vanson's quilted lining.

But then again, how many people actually wear Schott jackets on a motorcycle nowadays? So I'd say it's wise they keep them warm. You can't wear any kind of leather jacket once summer becomes unbearable. Lined or unlined, the jacket's going to end up in a closet so this way, you at least got the whole winter of wear time. Same as how lightly lined jackets (cotton, etc.) are good for nothing during cold days.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
All opinions appreciate, I will be NYC next week, I will see if I got time to check their retail store.
I did asked some ebay seller about the weight of 618 steerhide, the answer is 5lbs 10 oz, it's about same weight with Aero 3oz HH highwayman

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
All opinions appreciate, I will be NYC next week, I will see if I got time to check their retail store.
I did asked some ebay seller about the weight of 618 steerhide, the answer is 5lbs 10 oz, it's about same weight with Aero 3oz HH highwayman
Keep in mind that the 618 has really heavy hardware (belt buckle)! This adds to weight!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
You really need a Gibson & Barnes Coronado, my size 46 Tall is 11.0 lbs. Zip-out liner weight is 1.0 lbs. My jacket has no belt.

However that heavy of leather makes it a bit more than un-comfortable overall, IMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo