Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for Vintage Fashion Magazine

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
Hi,
Newbie here. I am looking for a copy of Seventeen Magazine May 1954. My grandmother modeled bermuda shorts in this issue. I keep checking ebay but no luck. I am wondering if anyone knows some other sites to check.
My grandma loves to tell the story and I really want to get her a copy (hers was lost) to show when she tells her story.
She was chosen by her home economics teacher and all the girls scoffed cause they didn't think she was pretty enough, but her teacher thought she was the most model like (tall, long legs, pretty eyes). The day of the photo shoot there were other girls from other schools in Minneapolis there too. None of the other girls would wear these bermuda shorts because they hadn't come into fashion (I think just Katherine Hepburn wore them, they weren't mainstream yet) but my grandma stood up and said she would be happy to model them. Well when the issue came out her photo was in the magazine and many of the other girls were not.
Of course Grandma tells the story better than I do, but gives you an idea anyways. Thanks so much.

Snookie

Practically Family
Hi MissMissy,

It's so sweet of you to look for the magazine for your grandmother! If you have trouble locating the issue right away, you might contact any large libraries you have nearby, either public or at a university or design school. You might be able to make a nice color photocopy of the page, something to give her for the time being.

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80