Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second Hat

ph33nyx

New in Town
After getting a Scala as my first hat I've gotten so many complements that I bought a Panama for the summer (says on the box "Manabi Montecristi"). I'm not sure if it's a great quality hat, but it looks nice, is incredibly soft, and for the price of $27 I couldn't pass it up.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
You know, the phrase "second hat" makes me think about the days of those real hat wearers of the old days. It seems to me that most men had two maybe three fedoras and that is about it. One they wore most of the time and maybe one or two that were their "good hats." And here most of us are with dozens of them! We are all in overkill mode, I guess! Ha, ha.

I read somewhere that Mad King George would buy about 100 beaver hats a year in the 1700s. We aren't that bad, but we're getting there!
:)

Last edited:

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Mobile Vulgus said:
It seems to me that most men had two maybe three fedoras and that is about it.

As usual, it should be pointed out that Loungers hardly represent "most".

The few, the proud... or whatever.

Last edited:
You know, the phrase "second hat" makes me think about the days of those real hat wearers of the old days. It seems to me that most men had two maybe three fedoras and that is about it. One they wore most of the time and maybe one or two that were their "good hats." And here most of us are with dozens of them! We are all in overkill mode, I guess! Ha, ha.

I read somewhere that Mad King George would buy about 100 beaver hats a year in the 1700s. We aren't that bad, but we're getting there!
:)

I have that problem. I have 3 summer hats and 8 felts, out of the 8, one needs repair, one needs stretching, and one I don't wear, but it was my "first" hat, so I don't want to get rid of it. so that really leaves me with 5 felts and some times I want more hats, but then I realize that I don't wear those often enough, yet I wear a hat every day. so I'm going to weed it down to...

sunday-go-t-meeting hat
every day hat (2 actually, one grey, one tan)
country hat (thin ribbon western, something like that)

what other "catagories" do you fellows have?

My grandfather passed away in 1981. He had quite a few hats that unfortunately didn't fit my melon head. He had Sunday hats, both felt & straw. He had "work hats" both felt & straw. He had dress hats (hats for Friday/Saturday nights, horse shows/harness races) both felt & straw. He was a farmer/rancher that never left the house without a hat & I never saw him wear a ball cap in all the time I knew him. He wasn't rich but he wasn't poor either. Now back in the depression days, I'm sure he only had 1 good felt hat.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I have that problem. I have 3 summer hats and 8 felts, out of the 8, one needs repair, one needs stretching, and one I don't wear, but it was my "first" hat, so I don't want to get rid of it. so that really leaves me with 5 felts and some times I want more hats, but then I realize that I don't wear those often enough, yet I wear a hat every day. so I'm going to weed it down to...

sunday-go-t-meeting hat
every day hat (2 actually, one grey, one tan)
country hat (thin ribbon western, something like that)

what other "catagories" do you fellows have?
I think I am a few hats short of my family setting up a "Hat-ervention" for me...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a 'collector,' either. I have a few, and only wear 2 regularly, and three or four a little less regularly. The rest just sit. I keep thinking Im gonna put the 'sitters' up for sale, but I just dont have it in me to do so (yet).

I don't think I collect hats, though I have a few that are pure souvenir related on the hall tree, gifts from trips by family members.
I do wear multiple hats each day & alternate thru most of mine on a regular basis, some on special occassions like coming up holiday parties.
I do sometimes buy "upgrades" to styles I already have then sell the lower tier ones or any duplicates I end up with since I don't seem to be able to pass up certain styles in my size!
Hats are like shoes & boots...you need different styles & colors depending on what you are wearing, where you are going & what you are doing....

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
I do sometimes buy "upgrades" to styles I already have then sell the lower tier ones ....

I'm in the process of doing that now -- acquiring Akubras to replace my wool felt "starter" hats. In the past few months I've purchased three Akubras and they're the only hats I've been wearing on a daily basis, except for a couple beaters I wear for yard work or snow shoveling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn