Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Skipped a couple days due to the ned of vacation, so I was a little apprehensive this AM.
1961 Slim Adjustable
Derby Blade
Nomad Soap
C&E Pure Badger Brush
HOT towel
Clubman AS
4 passes and what a nice Sunday Morning shave.

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
rmrdaddy said:
HatMagnet,
Nice Slim Adjustable there. I have one as well, it's a great shaver. What's the date code on the under side of the head on yours?

Tell us a little about that Edwin Jagger brush! What hair? handle style?

My apologies for taking so long to answer but I missed Your post somehow. Anyway,the razor has a date code of I 3 which I believe is late '50's. The brush is a best badger with a faux ivory handle. The difference between my 10 year old boar brush and the badger is absolutely amazing. The badger builds lather in no time flat. :coffee:

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
Today:

Parker 91-R razor
Badger brush
Mama bear's shaving soap
Crystal blade

I've been trying different blades for a while now and I've just about decided that the Israeli made Crystals are my favorite with Feather brands being a close second. If you've never tried these I highly recommend them.

JEEP

Practically Family
Merkur HD
Gillette swede, fourth use
Douglas pure badger
AOS unscented soap
Taylor of Old Bond Street alum block
Aluminium chloride
Organic 98% Aloe Vera gel mixed with unscented skin lotion
Four passes: Two WTG and two XTG
I normally do not use my blades for more than three shaves, a habit from my M3 days, due to my beard being thick and stiff. Today I tried squezing a fourth shave out of a blade. Big mistake! Especially the last XTG pass was a pain, leaving lots of razorburn and a nasty collection og weepers - aluminium chloride took care of those, but my face is burning and I can feel the remaining stubble all over my face. Lesson learned; only use blades three times.

Regards.

Jakob

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
back from vacation

HOT shower
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Derby Blade
Savile Row 3118
Tabac Soap
3 passes
Aqua Velva, baby!

Was nice, didn't shave much during the Christmas break and with my daughter back in school I had the bath to myself....

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Broke in a undated Gillette Aristocrat today
Derby blade
C&E Pure Badger Brush
Nomad soap
Aqua Velva Musk AS
4 passes and a very good shave for a new razor! WOW!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
HatMagnet said:
My apologies for taking so long to answer but I missed Your post somehow. Anyway,the razor has a date code of I 3 which I believe is late '50's. The brush is a best badger with a faux ivory handle. The difference between my 10 year old boar brush and the badger is absolutely amazing. The badger builds lather in no time flat. :coffee:

I3 is actually 3rd quarter of 1963
It's a great razor, hope it shaves well for you. Thanks for the brush info too, I don't have an EJ ...yet... :D

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Great shave today with a new cream!

Gillette Superadjustable
Dollar General Blade, day 2
Kent T8 Brush
TOBS Mr. Taylor's Shave Cream
Earth Science for men After Shave Soother
Saint Charles Shave Aspect After Shave Balm
Paul Sebastian Cologne

JEEP

Practically Family
No shave this morning, maybe tonight - still recovering from the "worn out gillette swede experience", this is some of the nastiest razorburn I have ever experienced :(

But, with a little luck, I will get a smashing new badger this afternoon - more on that later.

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Got a new brush today :)

First a little lesson on Danish social history: It is tradition in Denmark for blind (and and otherwise physically impaired) people to be employed as brusmakers and other similar "small-craftsmen", originally in large workshops, with attatched lodgings, ovned by the government, the idea was (and is) that instead of leaving people with various handicaps at the mercy at their (often poor) families, it was better to teach them a craft and give them the opportunity to make a living for themselves. Unfortunally principles gave away to greed and it ended up to be more or less forced labour with minimal wages, just enough to pay for food and lodgins - and on top of that they were forced to work side by side with convicted criminals and the mentally ill. In 1929 Blindes Arbejde (translates; Work of the Blind) was founded in order to provide the blind workers with a chance of making a better life than in the givernment ovned facilities. The workers were, following the tradition, mainly employed as brushmakers.
Today Blindes Arbejde is a company with about 80 employees, all blind or suffering from extremely poor eyesight. The company still makes all kinds of brushes and is famous for it's dedication to quality and oldfashioned workmanship: http://blindesarbejde.clickasite.dk/

So, before commenting on this brush, keep in mind that is has been made by a blind or nearly blind person:

BlindesArbejde_0101.jpg

BlindesArbejde_0102.jpg

BlindesArbejde_0103.jpg

The knot is pure badger and the handturned handle is african bubinga wood (a cocobolo handeled version also exists). The knot is not entirely even, none of the brushes at the store had even knots, but considering it has been set by a person with no or extremely poor eyesight I think it is actually impressively even.

I have not yet had a chance to try the brush, but as soon as I have I will post a review.

In case anoyne is interested (sorry, no English version available, but I wil happily assist); here are the direct links to the Bubinga handeled brush and the Cocobolo handeled brush.

Regards.

Jakob

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Great Brush Jakob!

Obviously you don't have to be able to see to make a great brush.

today:
HOT shower
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Derby Blade
Kent BLK4
GFT Limes
3 passes
Pinaud Citrus Musk

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD080109.jpg

Gillette 40's Super Speed
Gillette Swede, first use
Blindes Arbejde pure badger
AOS unscented soap
Taylor of Old Bond Street alum block
Aluminium chloride
First shave with my SS (got it in the mail this evening) and first lather with my Blindes Arbejde brush. A plesant and smooth shave with only a few nicks going XTG (mostly due to my skin still being a little beat up from the "Gillette Swede gone dull experience" last time I shaved).
The brush performed nicely, though it did shed a little too many bristles for comfort, I hope it doesn't keeps on doing that.

Regards.

Jakob

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Wow 3rd day with the Aristocrat and it keeps getting better
Derby blade
Nomad soap
Col Conk Pure Badger Brush
Gillette AS Balm
3 passes and nearly BBS! Not the razor's fault, I'm still learning it, but what potential!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
OOH, got some Mama Bear's Diogene's Club soap in the mail yesterday and tried it out this AM. Great scent and excellent lather.
Today looked like this:
Gillette Aristocrat
Derby Blade
MB Diogene's Club Soap
Gillette AS Balm
lots of time, 4 passes and BBS with the Aristocrat for the first time.

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD110109.jpg

Prep
Long hot shower

Shave
Gillette Swede, second use
Blindes Arbejde pure badger with Bubinga handle
AOS unscented soap
Four passes: Two WTG and two XTG and a little buffing
Nice smooth shave, to small nicks; one from the last XTG pass at the jawline and one (+ a little razorburn) at a "sweetspot" at my neck, still got to nail down that spot

Aluminium chloride

Post-post
Gin and tonic :)

The military style hairbrush is a vintage Kent, kindly presented to me by Vintage Betty.

Regards.

Jakob

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Today I used a "new" 1961 Fatboy for the first time, sweet, the best Fatboy I have ever had out of 6 or 7.
61 Fatboy
Derby Blade
Mama Bear Diogene's Club Soap
Clubman AS
Enough soap for 4 passes and BBS, with a first time razor. Unbelievable. I LIKE this razor.

JEEP

Practically Family
Today:

Prep
Long hot shower

Shave
Gillette Swede, third/last use
Douglas Pure Badger
AOS unscented soap
Nice smooth shave, no blood and only a little razorburn :)

Regards.

Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot