Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe stretching

moustache

Practically Family
Having taken a gamble on a pair of shoes,i lost on this one.A pair of 10.5 A's fit just a bit snug on my 9.5d feet.
Have anyone of you stretched shoes?
If so,can it be done on such a pair??The length is ok.Just the width is too tight.
Any ideas would be splendid.I would hate to have to re-sell them.
This is a photo of the shoes.You might remember them on classified last week.
b4_1.jpg

JD

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

If they are just a bit too snug in the width, they certainly could be stretched. Just get to a reputable cobbler in Vancouver and I am sure they can handle it. Beautiful shoes either way.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
provided it is only a tad you can do it yourself. You can buy shoe stretching fluid and shoe stretchers to go inside. Spray with the fluid and then crank up the stretchers and leave.

Alternatively, if not too painful, spray with the fluid and wear them for a few hours with double socks.

Good luck.

moustache

Practically Family
More than a tad

nightandthecity said:
provided it is only a tad you can do it yourself. You can buy shoe stretching fluid and shoe stretchers to go inside. Spray with the fluid and then crank up the stretchers and leave.

Alternatively, if not too painful, spray with the fluid and wear them for a few hours with double socks.

Good luck.

it is more than a tad.But not so bad that it is painful to put them on.
I will take them down to a cobbler next week after the holiday rush susides.

JD

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Didn't know about shoe-stretching fluid

I have used plain water and shoe stretchers cranked up full width including any buttons attached onto the stretchers. Leave 'em for a day or more. Or do one shoe at a time, save half the price of a pair of shoe stretchers. Saw some at the local Salvation Army for a pittance, 99 cents. Left 'em for some other lucky soul to buy, I got mine full price about $15. :) The ones I had to stretch were spectator pumps.

Stretching and Zucchini!

Just remember you can only go so far with stretching.

The stretching fluid is a great help.

Now for the Ultimate Zucchini Recipie!

Take those extra zucchinis that took over the back yard this year and dice them up.
Put the zucchini in two big zip lock bags.
When the bags are full enough, place each of those bags inside another zip lock.
Now push them inside your tight shoes.
Shoes should be laced and tied tightly.
Make sure the bags are as full as you can get into the shoe.

Now place the shoes in a freezer!

As the zucchini and liquids in the bags freeze, they expand.
The force from the freezing is irresistable and will stretch the leather.
If it is just plain water it expands too much and will bust the stitching.
The plant matter is a control for not as much expansion.

I have did it once a long time ago and it did stretch my shoes.
If it is not as much as needed you can defrost and repeat as necessary.

GOK

One Too Many
I had chubby tootsies as a child so my nanny used to soak brown paper in vinegar and stuff my shoes with it. They always fitted perfectly after that. Mind you, it could be because they were only a little on the narrow side. My advice Moustache, would be to take them to a reputable cobbler who will know the best way to do it.

However, I do like John's idea! Do you cook the courgettes afterwards? :D

In a large skillett saute diced onions until clear and add garlic, sautee for 2 minutes, add italian seasoning and tomato sauce then crushed tomatos.

Drain zucchini and add, simmer for about 20 minutes, salt and pepper to taste serve as side dish.

GOK

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
In a large skillett saute diced onions until clear and add garlic, sautee for 2 minutes, add italian seasoning and tomato sauce then crushed tomatos.

Drain zucchini and add, simmer for about 20 minutes, salt and pepper to taste serve as side dish.

Hold that thought, I'm on my way over right now! I'll bring gelati! lol

moustache

Practically Family
Thats what i thought

Tomasso said:
From an A to a D would be quite a stretch.

But then again i think that since the A is on a pair of 10.5 size shoes,the A doesn't fit too bad.Therefore i really don't want to stretch to a D.That would be too big.
I will take them to a cobbler on monday.As of right now i'm writing this at a small coffe shop in Long Beach,Washington where my sweetie and i are enjoying a vacation.The only WiFi access i could find!!!The coffee is good as well.

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks.If the cobbler is way to expensive (over $30 or so) then i will try sone of the hints here.

JD and Lavendar Lady in Long Beach,Washington

moustache

Practically Family
UPDATE:Shoe stretching.

Well here is an update to my shoe stretching question.I decided to try it myself.The local cobbler wanted a bit too much money for the service.And he could not guarantee any results.So i found a stretcher and some stretching fluid.
After one day in the stretcher: Wow!!! The first shoe,which was the tighter of the two,fits perfect!!! Now the other shoe is being done.It needs minimal stretching . So for a total of $10, i have turned a pair of Johnston and Murphys brown/white Broadstreets into a viable part of my wardrobe.
I hope to wear them this weekend and get a few shots with the Nikon D50.
I will post them later.

Here are a few photos i shot tonight:

jm51small.jpg

jm21small.jpg

JMbrowns1small.jpg

Thanks for your input folks!!

Cheers!

Jim in Vancouver,Wa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member