Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorpy All Stars

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
web.jpg

The Girl on the left is a cutie.:)

Very interesting! I like this quote from his niece's interview.

"Jean: Actually, if you look closer, Uncle Ray was wearing a jacket and a long sleeve shirt, and he had a hat on. If you ask me, that's a lot better than kids dress now."

Also at that time childeren smoking or chewing tobacco was not unusual.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
web.jpg

Ah the Bowler makes one do strange things.

"James Dawson, arrested for Indecent Exposure. North Shields Police Station, 9th June 1902." Our first image from a photograph album of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court in England between 1902 and 1916, now in the collection of the Tyne & Wear Archives and Museums.

The Shields Daily Gazette (dated 9 June 1902) provides a little more information:

"Today at North Shields, before Mr. J. Walton and Mr. T. Byers, James Dawson (38), a shoe maker, was charged on a warrant with behaving in an indecent manner in Albion Road on the 15th inst. Mr. G. R. Duncan prosecuted, and Mr. A. Whitehorn defended. Accused, who is a married man, was sent to prison for one month in the second division."

The 1911 census of England lists a likely candidate - James Dawson (46), a boot maker born in Leeds and living at 46 Sidney Street, North Shields, married to Mary Ann (45), with five children living at home - George Albert (25), James (18), Eva (14), Thomas (16) and Willie (4). An additional child, Amelia (12) is listed in the 1901 census; the family is living in Chirton, Northumberland, and James is listed as a boot repairer and shop keeper. In 1881, they are in Leeds (10 Prince of Wales Yard, Marsh Lane), with James listed as a boot riveter; also living with them is James's mother, Margaret (58).

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
This is excellent stuff. The photo currently on the front paged is a touched-up version of this, which depicts a street in my home town. I believe I recognize where it is, and I think some of the painted-brick signage in the background remains to this day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace