Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Hat be Worn in the Rain?

Should fur felt hats be able to hold up to the rain?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fedorista

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
They are no impervious but in my experience with vintage and yours, it takes about three or four hours of constant rain to get to the leaking stage...

What brings you into a constant rain for three or four hours?

Fedorista said:
What brings you into a constant rain for three or four hours?

I knew someone would ask. :p I was handing out flyers door to door in the rain (local political thing). Come to think of it, it was probably longer than that. :eek: :eusa_doh:
I had the tan center dent Dobbs for that excursion. The rest of the hat held but the water collected in the center dent and it finally seeped through near the end of the time. That hat was soaking wet on the outside and took three or four days to dry in the house. What a hat for a beater with moth damage. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Hloy Crimony! I just looked at the poll. 97.1% say you should be able to wear a hat out in the rain. I think this is a big wake up call to Hatco and other BigHat corporations. If they want to sell hats they should hold up to rain because that is what we are going to do with them. :D

Regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
This is cool!

Art Fawcett said:
I also own one of the rarest automobiles known and I drive it regularly because after it's all said and done, it's just a car and is mean't to be driven.

Art, I couldn't agree more! Sorry to hijack this hat thread but, one vintage car owner to another, I feel the same way but, only thing is, my car is anything but rare.lol

What car do you own Art? I think you told me once but, I can't seem to recall what it was.

Now, back to hats! I wear my hats to keep the sun out of my face and off of my neck, I wear them to keep me warm and also to keep the rain off. I don't like being out in the rain so much but, when it starts to pour, I'm so happy I have my hat on my head!

=WR=

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
I wear my hats to keep the sun out of my face and off of my neck, I wear them to keep me warm and also to keep the rain off. I don't like being out in the rain so much but, when it starts to pour, I'm so happy I have my hat on my head!

I couldn't agree more, and am still slightly baffled that the question needed to be asked in the first place. Not that JP felt the need to ask it, but that some companies make hats that bring the question to relevance.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Joel Tunnah said:
Poll: Wingtips that can't be worn in the pool are shite!

Vote now!

Let's not be silly, we all know that the only choice of foot wear for the pool is the ever so popular swim fin.

Joel Tunnah, reading your posts indicate an upset individual. I feel if you love your hats, wear them if they're up to rain or not... you're the man who has to go hatless in the rain, not us. Aside from vintage hats, Art and others make a fine hat that can take the rain, we feel that a hat was intended to be used and not so much a fair weathered item.

I'm sure you can agree if you have seen any movie from the 30's to 50's that the hats of that period were designed to be used... also, by other's testimonies here who have worn vintage hats in large amounts of exposure to rain, you can see that a felt hat can take it!

High Regards,
=WR=

Tony in Tarzana said:
Or because it's a costume piece, to be worn on Hallowe'en, not something for real wear.

Search for top hats on the 'Bay, if you really want to get depressed.

Oh geez, don't get me started on that. The tophats they make nowadays. :eusa_doh: I think they forgot how or lost the plans or soemthing.
Toy hats are probably a good number of hats you see. They just won't hold up. I have even seen felt crack like wood. :eek: Not rip but crack like a glass. That is a pretty fragile felt. We aren't talking fifty year old hats either.
If it can't take the rain then it don't belong on your head. You can make a newspaper hat for cheaper and a plastic shopping bag works better than a mushy felt. :D

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Oh geez, don't get me started on that. The tophats they make nowadays. :eusa_doh: I think they forgot how or lost the plans or something.

Well, I found a real one, I hope. Too damn much money, of course, thanks to a couple of numbskulls who bid back and forth and drove it up. Well, my max bid was higher anyway, so who's the numbskull? lol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
You can make a newspaper hat for cheaper and a plastic shopping bag works better than a mushy felt. :D

That reminds me of a sight I saw more than once a few
years back, while traveling in Vietnam. Mothers driving
their kids home on scooters, in the everpresent rain.
The kids had plastic shopping bags over (yes over) their heads.
I kept feeling the temptation to say, 'er, don't do that!'.

And the more I read and see about modern factory made
felt hats, the more I feel the temptation to suggest that
form of rainwear for the executives of the companies that
are ruining the good names of Stetson and Borsalino.

Fedorista

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
I knew someone would ask. :p I was handing out flyers door to door in the rain (local political thing). Come to think of it, it was probably longer than that. :eek: :eusa_doh:
I had the tan center dent Dobbs for that excursion. The rest of the hat held but the water collected in the center dent and it finally seeped through near the end of the time. That hat was soaking wet on the outside and took three or four days to dry in the house. What a hat for a beater with moth damage. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Ah! God bless your civic mindedness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW