Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Hat be Worn in the Rain?

Should fur felt hats be able to hold up to the rain?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mr. 'H' said:
Why yes of course. Better than a "sissy" umbrella. Just my opinion.... I've said this before. lol

That was my response as well. It ain't a fur felt hat if it ain't water repellent (kids don't say ain't. I only use it here for emphasis). :D
All of my fur felt hats can take the rain without turning into the same mess that a newspaper hat would in the rain. :eek:

Regards to all,

J

mallory41meriddunes1.jpg

They were touting the use of a hat in the rain years ago. What happened? [huh]

Regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
This is all too funny! I have never owned a hat that I didn’t wear in the rain and I’m not talking just about vintage hats. I have owned some pretty cheap hats early on in my collecting years; they were 100% wool fedoras that one used be able to buy at Aardvarks. They looked ok for wool and were affordable. I wore them in the rain and they always held their shape… I never did over obsess about them because I bought them to wear. My vintage hats always do fine in the rain… I have had many people ask me why I’m wearing such a nice hat in the rain… I always reply that they’re designed to be worn in weather, that’s the reason why men wore hats!

=WR=

Mulceber

Practically Family
For me, it would depend. If it were more than 60 years old, I'd probably try to baby it a bit. Otherwise, soak it all you want. -Mulceber

Ps. Is it just me, or does it seem like in every old hat advertisement, the men are hovering over a woman like vultures?

Wild Root said:
This is all too funny! I have never owned a hat that I didn’t wear in the rain and I’m not talking just about vintage hats. I have owned some pretty cheap hats early on in my collecting years; they were 100% wool fedoras that one used be able to buy at Aardvarks. They looked ok for wool and were affordable. I wore them in the rain and they always held their shape… I never did over obsess about them because I bought them to wear. My vintage hats always do fine in the rain… I have had many people ask me why I’m wearing such a nice hat in the rain… I always reply that they’re designed to be worn in weather, that’s the reason why men wore hats!

=WR=

Amen:
Mallory1.jpg

Regards,

J

Haversack

One Too Many
Although this will brand me as a heretic within this community, my preferred hat for wearing on rainy days is an Austrian hat of loden wool. Lightweight. Water rolls off of it. The brim channels water away from my face and neck. It is dry at the end of the day for the return leg of my daily 3 mile waliking commute. I've had it for over 20 years and it shows no sign of falling apart. Of course, it is not made of wool felt, but rather it is fulled wool.

Haversack.

Haversack said:
Although this will brand me as a heretic within this community, my preferred hat for wearing on rainy days is an Austrian hat of loden wool. Lightweight. Water rolls off of it. The brim channels water away from my face and neck. It is dry at the end of the day for the return leg of my daily 3 mile waliking commute. I've had it for over 20 years and it shows no sign of falling apart. Of course, it is not made of wool felt, but rather it is fulled wool.

Haversack.

Sounds like a keeper if it can cut the stress of use. :eusa_clap
I bet these fellas agree with you:
1940spicnic.jpg

Regards,

J

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I'm an over-protective father when it comes to my hats. I don't have the heart to put my lids through the "rain test". lol

Unless it's wool, of course.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Absolutely positively YES! What the hell was/is a hat for if not to cover your skull in inclement weather! If it's going to rain, I'm grabbing a felt fedora on the way out the door (AND a sissy umbrella :)).

Did some dolt say otherwise?

Of course, if you have a fine vintage felt that you prefer to baby a bit, that is another story, but truth is, it could take a drenching. I would't grab a 1930's unworn Cavanagh to wear in a downpour, but I wouldn't drive a '36 Packard in it either. Either could take it, but why do that to something rare and desireable?

I have felt hats that have been drenched completely over and over again (we all do), and they look and perform as new - that's what they're made for - unless they are of modern poor quality.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Fur felt hats may have varying resistances to rain, or water repellance, and varying recovery after the fact - but there isn't a single fur felt hat that was designed specifically as a rain hat. And if it was, it was coated with something that renders the felt completely irrelevant.

Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner