Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Hat be Worn in the Rain?

Should fur felt hats be able to hold up to the rain?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
WOW..talk about a hot thread!! Mr. H and Root, I have a 1932 Marmon model 8-125. There are 5 known to exist with mine being the only 4Dr. sedan in the US.
Nothing to add to the discussion, just answering questions folks..carry on... :D

Art Fawcett said:
WOW..talk about a hot thread!! Mr. H and Root, I have a 1932 Marmon model 8-125. There are 5 known to exist with mine being the only 4Dr. sedan in the US.
Nothing to add to the discussion, just answering questions folks..carry on... :D

Now that is a hot car to have---and it doesn't shrink in the rain. :p ;) Drive it as long as you can. Nothing hurts a car or hat worse than idleness. :D

Regards,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hats in the rain.

Singing in the rain...just singing in the rain. I 'm happy again.. Oops wrong movie.

Hats in the rain. Vintage, YES. Beaver, YES. Optimo...how heavy is the rain?

Had one taper like a dog....:rage:

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Art Fawcett said:

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Marmon, even in a museum. As we all know, a Marmon won the very first Indianapolis 500 in 1911.

squid

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Marmon, even in a museum. As we all know, a Marmon won the very first Indianapolis 500 in 1911.

I did not know that. But I'm sure it will stick in my head with all the other useless information.

I bet it looks something like this:
1932marmonmodel8-125deluxe.jpg

Regards,

J

J.B.

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:

Wow! A marmot???!!! Too cool! Here's a little closer shot of it...

woodchuckkj9.jpg

But I still think it was soooo wrong of those Hoosiers to force the little guy to run around the race track like that?! I mean -- where the hell was PETA when you needed them? :stampfoot:

Anyway, press these here yellow words to hear a recording (using primitive audio equipment) of the scream of delight as the little bugger rolled over the finish line ahead of the closing GM products...

WEEGEE

Practically Family
THREE FOOT BRIM

Samsa--
Sure it should be worn in the rain. I can't imagine venturing out in the rain without one. I do also take an umbrella, however; it gives added protection. (I have yet to see a hat with a three foot brim.)

I agree...hats on the head...dry. Umbrella ??? Suit and Tie...dry!!!

Art...did you get the big felt in from Paraguay for my special order SO UNSTINGY BRIM?lol

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I DID WEEGEE but now I need another pallet of stiffner to hold the brim shape.:rolleyes:

That's Phil Belote's car..very nice restoration. His is one of only 3 convertible coupes known, all restored. Then there is my unrestored black sedan, the fifth is a sedan also, up on blocks ( at least it was 10 yrs ago) in the Azores. I actually have pictures of it somewhere...geeze..after the move I don't know where ANYTHING is.:eusa_doh:

RadioHead

Familiar Face
What's a hat for, if...?

Count me as a yes.

Otherwise, what's the point of having a hat? OK, it keeps the snow and sun off too, but I just shake my head when I see hatless people walking in the rain looking miserable. Of course, I smile a little at the same time...:p

"RadioHead"

Art Fawcett said:
I DID WEEGEE but now I need another pallet of stiffner to hold the brim shape.:rolleyes:

That's Phil Belote's car..very nice restoration. His is one of only 3 convertible coupes known, all restored. Then there is my unrestored black sedan, the fifth is a sedan also, up on blocks ( at least it was 10 yrs ago) in the Azores. I actually have pictures of it somewhere...geeze..after the move I don't know where ANYTHING is.:eusa_doh:

I figured you would know who owned that car. That club is pretty small. :D
Three foot brim? I'll take one. :p

Regards,

J

BigSho

Vendor
Hats new or vintage unless they were advertised as RAIN hats like the ones mallory made were never meant to replace an umbrella. They are called DRESS hats for a reason they were are part of a style and a tradition. Why do you think that the communbity of hat wearers is so small today. Because you can't wear them in the rain or because people just dont get dressed anymore. There are treatments that you can get failry cheap for felt hats if you want to wear them in the rain anyways and it makes the whole argument moot but they were never intended to be an umbrella. I own 3 stetson temples and wear them on a frquent basis and after 2 years they are still just fine. Why? because i didn't stand out int he rain with them. They will take a light pour as long as you do not get them soaked they hold up just fine. Maybe art is right buy a nice car and drive it but I bet he wont be taking it off road in a rain storm.

Don't get me wrong here I am not trying to deny the fact that hat co needs to make there hats to a better standard then they have in the last few years. I have seen the decline personally and dont like it either. But everyone on here condemns all new hats that are coming out when there are plenty of nice quality "modern" hats around. But it is like anything else you want something nice you are going to have to pay for it.

BigSho said:
Hats new or vintage unless they were advertised as RAIN hats like the ones mallory made were never meant to replace an umbrella. They are called DRESS hats for a reason they were are part of a style and a tradition. Why do you think that the communbity of hat wearers is so small today. Because you can't wear them in the rain or because people just dont get dressed anymore. There are treatments that you can get failry cheap for felt hats if you want to wear them in the rain anyways and it makes the whole argument moot but they were never intended to be an umbrella. I own 3 stetson temples and wear them on a frquent basis and after 2 years they are still just fine. Why? because i didn't stand out int he rain with them. They will take a light pour as long as you do not get them soaked they hold up just fine. Maybe art is right buy a nice car and drive it but I bet he wont be taking it off road in a rain storm.

Don't get me wrong here I am not trying to deny the fact that hat co needs to make there hats to a better standard then they have in the last few years. I have seen the decline personally and dont like it either. But everyone on here condemns all new hats that are coming out when there are plenty of nice quality "modern" hats around. But it is like anything else you want something nice you are going to have to pay for it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Russ

One of the Regulars
Yes and no

I'll add my two cents with an answer I often heard my college theology professor use for the difficult questions: "Yes and no."

Of course a fur felt hat can be worn in the rain with no immediate negative effects, but there is always the eventual possibility of taper. I hate taper, and I'm not rich enough to keep replacing tapered hats, nor do I want to send them to the other side of the world for a reblock.

So I have a few Akubra bush hats which I don't mind getting soaked in the rain. Over the years I've seen taper on my old bush hats and I just accepted it (one of them was a favorite for dunking in the river, so no surprises there). When it is a real downpour or typhoon I'll switch to a waterproof Drizabone rain hat or even a Sou'wester (to my wife's extreme embarassment). These go better with my Drizabone coats anyway.

Here's me in a bush hat with drizabone coat (you have to guess which one is me).

drizabone.jpg

If it suddenly rains while I'm wearing one of my dress fedoras, I don't fret because it won't happen often enough to cause taper. And I am considering dedicating one of my fedoras to rain wear anyway.

Living in Tokyo and depending on public transportation also influences my rain gear decisions. If I am going to be squeezed into a crowded morning train, I will most likely choose an umbrella (in addition to my fedora). A wet umbrella can be rolled up and kept low where it will only drip on the floor and maybe a few shoes. Wearing a dripping hat and coat, on the other hand, will simply anger all the people around me, and I have to ride with these same people on the same train day after day. On a real crowded train, I have counted up to seven different people pressing against my body at one time. Ah, hot summer days when neighbors stick together...

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well I would never take my new Stetson into the rain because I fear damaging it (as the quality isnt that phenominal anymore ;_; ) looks great in fair weather tho XD.

I agree tho that a hat of any kind should be able to get wet every so often. Rain happens and I want to know that my hat/cap/helmet/plastic bag will keep my head dry until I can find cover.

Tho if rain threatens off comes the stetson and on comes the cheap wool felt fedora. That thing is amazing hehe, for such a budget cost i keep my head dry and look halfway civilized while doing it. ^_-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW