Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Hat be Worn in the Rain?

Should fur felt hats be able to hold up to the rain?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Joel Tunnah said:
Fur felt hats may have varying resistances to rain, or water repellance, and varying recovery after the fact - but there isn't a single fur felt hat that was designed specifically as a rain hat. And if it was, it was coated with something that renders the felt completely irrelevant.

Joel

Uh, look at the ads above your post. There were several hats---in fact all of the hats Mallory made---were designed as rain hats. They did it for decades and decades. It was just par for the course for most hat makers of the day. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:
The felt was not irrelevant because it sure had the ability to shrink and taper even if it was treated. [huh]

Regards,

J

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
James, I can't read the print in the ads (too small), but I would bet that the gist of them is that the hats can take an occasional shower.

Look at deanglen's posts about campaign hats. The army wore those felt hats day and night, through all weather. The result is plainly visible. They are rumpled, tapered, shrunk, bent, and dirty. Look at cops, forest rangers, the military - outdoor hat wearing professions - they all either cover their felt hats with plastic when it rains, or they use non-felt waterproof hats.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Look at deanglen's posts about campaign hats. The army wore those felt hats day and night, through all weather. The result is plainly visible. They are rumpled, tapered, shrunk, bent, and dirty. Look at cops, forest rangers, the military - outdoor hat wearing professions - they all either cover their felt hats with plastic when it rains, or they use non-felt waterproof hats.

Amen!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Modern felt making isn't what it used to be! They used to use mercury in felt back in the golden era. I have two Imperial Stetson's and I have worn both of them in heavy rain... I set them on a table, let them dry... keeping them away from heat... they dry and are ready for another round! Now, I do have some beautiful rare fedoras from the 1930's that are in super fine shape, I don't put those into action but, I know if I was ever caught out in a storm and that was the only hat I had on, it would take it till I could run under an awning or into a car.

Matt Deckard has put all his hats into a test of rain, only the vintage ones have come out on top! I have come close to crying when he put some of his nicest hats to a test... wore them as he walked in a down pour! They dried and were fine!

One of my light gray Imperial Stetson's has a logo with an umbrella on it... says Auqanized Stetson... I've worn it in snow and rain and it is the same hat as it was when I bought it at a vintage shop... it's actually in better shape then when I bought it!

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

Neville Chamberlain pretty much ruined umbrellas for me, and not even John Steed could bring 'em back. lol

Besides, they're a P.I.T.A. when getting in and out of the car. When the rainy season hits, I'll be wearing the Akubra.

feltfan

Repeating myself...

Hats are supposed to protect your head.
My vintage felt hats go out in the rain.
Yes, the black roll up Borsalino Suprema
has been soaked, even though it is probably
the thinnest felt I own. Yes, my Cavanagh
fedoras get soaked every year. No visible problem
(they do get cleaner). I will admit I don't wear
white hats in the rain much for fear of soiling.

A felt hat that is protected from the rain is
a toy hat.

Fedora

Vendor
I always reply that they’re designed to be worn in weather, that’s the reason why men wore hats!

Well, not entirely Wildroot. :) Hats were worn by some folks as protection from the elements, but later on, a hat was worn for more important reasons. Fashion, style, and status. Back in the day, you could tell a man's position in life by the hat that he wore. Sort of like folks driving expensive cars today, and building houses that are way too large. Status. If protection was the key element involved, hats would have never went out of style. Folks that worked outside needed a hat, and to this day, you will find many who still use them, or some sort of cap. Those that wear hats or caps in this manner are after the protection, while someone who works inside and stays inside most of the time wear them for fashion statments, and that statement may be a retro look.

If hats were intended just for protection, like coats, they would still be on every man's head. IMHO.

And if hats were for protection only, the felt would have remained thick as a thick felt will protect more than a thin felt. Just like a thick pair of pants will protect you better than a thin pair. Fedora

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
singin in the rain

yesterday it came a torrential downpour when a lady came in to pick up her car for service....it wasn't my job, but i said, hold on a minute and i will pull your car into the garage...

i went to my office got my rain jacket and my "rain" hat...older akubra, that I have now laying around in the office...and went out into the rain and retrieved her car....

the receptionist and the customer were amazed...and i didn;t hear anything about "the hat looking funny either"....

let it rain...

mark the shoehsine boy

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sorry JP, I passed right over this thread, thinking it was a joke. You ARE joking right? Of course a fur felt should be worn in the rain. No, it isn't impervious over an extended period of time but it's hard to get plastic to take a brim set...

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Aw, come on. See it looks just fine:

Picture064.jpg

Regards,

J

So are you saying that you'd put my newly acquired Dobbs 40 through the "rain test"? [huh] :p

Mulceber

Practically Family
Funny you should say that considering your avatar.

I wouldn't quite describe Bogie as a vulture there. For one thing, he doesn't look like he's about to eat a big steak (like a lot of the guys in those ads do when they look at the woman) and at that point and time he's just about to tell Ilsa to go with Laszlo. Not exactly a vulture-like thing to do. But I take your point. Not all hat ads involved men eyeballing women in the same way they'd eyeball a steak. Just some of them, and most of the ones I've seen. Clearly I need to see more of them. -Mulceber

J.B.

Practically Family
YES

RBH said:
I may have a couple that I would rather not get wet.. but I wouldnt want a hat that could not get wet.

Thanks! This is how I've been wanting to say it.

S

Samsa

Sure it should be worn in the rain. I can't imagine venturing out in the rain without one. I do also take an umbrella, however; it gives added protection. (I have yet to see a hat with a three foot brim.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy