Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Amy Jeanne said:
As always, thanks gals. I've been sewing my brains out. I worked on this during the 4 day weekend...

n624014163_1112836_666.jpg

It's from this: http://evadress.com/6222.html
My chest closure didn't turn out as snazzy, but any looser and it looked silly. I'm sure it was intended for a flat chest originally.

WOW! Looking great! I think this style is very flattering on you, and I love your fabric. Go you for being ambitious with buttonholes! :eusa_clap

Lady Day, that bag is really interesting! I have never seen something like that before! I love your fabric, too. And zippers are the enemy. I was just saying the other day how I wish someone would teach a "zippers only" class with all the different techniques and styles and how to do each one (necklines, skirts, shirts, etc... decorative and functional and both). It's one thing I STILL haven't grasped all the way.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I have yet to really tackle zippers. I have done a couple with (a lot of) help. But I shy away from them, because even my mother who could sew anything with a blind fold and one hand tied behind her back - snarks about zippers. Well, I will have to bite the bullet and learn or my skirts I have lined up are going to be rather airy.

Cherry Red - That is really - really awesome! I am on such a tight (see: non existent) budget - that might just be that ticket! If I can afford enough duct tape. We have done corset patterns that way - but I have never looked into dress making forms! Well, done.

Mrs Merl:
It really turned out better than I thought. One tip : buy the cheapest most light weight duct tape you can get. DH bought Walmart brand recently and I hated it but it was perfect for this. Do one layer on you and then add two more after you stuff it. I only have 1 1/2 layers on it now. It will work but needs to be a tad sturdier.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, I so need to make me one of those!!! I want to make a duck tape dress form that goes over the shoulder, and half way down the thigh so I can use it for slacks too.

Oh Lauren! An all zipper class would be wondrous! I have yet to learn how to put in an invisible zipper, and front zippers on pants I all but avoid! There are great tutorials on Threads website, but seeing someone do it in person is the learning experience.

LD

Vanessa

One Too Many
I hate zippers. Invisible ones are the only ones I'll do - why bother with anything else when a placket closure w/hooks or snaps works just as well 80% of the time? And is oh so period.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
HA! True! Invisible zippers are my friends. If you can't see it, it's not un-period, right? (is un-period even a word?). There's a special invisible zipper foot for my machine that makes it nearly brainless, but I couldn't do it for the life of me without one. I'd say look into it if you want to put them in!

La Julia

One of the Regulars
CherryRed said:
I finally gave up on trying to buy a $130 dress form and coerced DH into helping me make the duct tape dress form. I need to add more layers of tape but I am quite pleased how well it turned out. Plus her measurements match me perfectly!:D
3079379965_b243e2f071_o.jpg

I love this, ducktape can do sooo many things, it dosen't even know

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Wide Leg High Waisted Pants

After being very discouraged by department store offerings, I decided to make my own 1940's style pants. (I blogged about it here when i wore them in a more modern manner.)
I designed the pattern and made these up myself in a stretch (I know that is cheating) denim, with a rear zip and cuffs. I'm so please with how they turned out. They are super comfortable and work into both vintage and modern looks.

Vintage look:
3078610447_6d2ce35c64_o.jpg

Modern Look:
3079675010_66dc293a28_o.jpg

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Were they hard to design? I was thinking of drafting a pattern for high waist trousers, as I am rather a difficult fit. Yours are certainly an inspiration!! They are great!

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Mrs. Merl said:
Were they hard to design? I was thinking of drafting a pattern for high waist trousers, as I am rather a difficult fit. Yours are certainly an inspiration!! They are great!
Well I guess the answer to that depends on your skill level. There was a bit of tweaking going on over the course of a week to make them just right. I don't consider myself advanced, but I have had lots of experience making pants. Oh and they aren't as creased as they look in that first photo, I had been in the car for over two hours by that point!

I am considering offering these for sale on Etsy, as it seems lots of people are interested, but I just don't know if the price point would be viable for most. (I'd have to offer them for about $130 AUD to cover time and materials). What do you think?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I would love to buy pants - but between being a very odd fit and being broke...well. But I think they could be a big hit, if you can get people to find them - for me my site has been like burial ground. They are really awesome and if you are so inclined I would totally give it a try! Who knows you could have mad money coming out your ears!

Aurora

One of the Regulars
SuperKawaiiMama - Fab trousers, although I did gasp at the words "stretch denim"!! :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
l_ea8e7d0e9c4443b9bc826f88ac998a67.jpg

Nothing too exciting or taxing -- just a curtain for our bathroom for that extra added privacy!! :) My husband picked out the fabric. I sewed it with red thread. It looks swank!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou