Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

$ally

One Too Many
Sunny said:
Ooh, that's lovely, $ally! I've never seen raw silk look so pretty, either. It looks like a nice wool with body.
Thank you. I'll get a picture of the whole ensemble up eventually. Raw silk is soft and draping, yet strong. Great for this project.
The jacket pattern has just the right amount of flare in the peplum, and I love how it's angled into long tails in back.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I'm not trying to be obnoxious I swear! Anyway this dress is not super. I managed to sew on the most hideous looking zipper ever. Not that the zipper's ugly just the way I sewed it. Grr zippers! Anyone interested in coming over and sewing zippers on for me? I'll give you a cookie.

l_24f0702961e27ce57616cb81d983652e.jpg

1950s pattern:
l_3190110b4f76375efe2179aa671218a8.jpg

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Maybe after we move into the new place at the end of the month, I can show you zippers. They are scary at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad! Do you have a zipper foot for your machine? It makes things aLOT easier, plus they are cheap and you can get them Joann.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
How about 2 cookies and a glass of milk? ;)

Zippers are a pain to get a hang of! And didn't you start sewing recently? You are doing an amazing job thus far- you'll pick up zippers in no time! RedHotRidinHood is right- if you have a zipper foot, it makes the job a ton easier. And an invisible zipper foot will soon become your new best friend, I promise!!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Cherry_Bombb said:
How exactly are you putting in your zippers? Maybe we can help you?

My mom showed me how to do it. I just have problems keeping the lines straight and making it so there's no gap at the top. Does that make sense?

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
Pink Dahlia your dresses are absolutely gorgeous!! And even more so knowing that you've only jsut started. Well done! I really adore the yellow one, the print is so cute! I'm jealous of anyone who can wear yellow, it's such a hard colour to wear but it's so sunny and pretty.

As for zippers, I can't recommend enough using invisible zippers with an invisible zipper foot. I HATE zippers, I can still remember struggling with them in Home economics at school. So when I discovered how easy invisible zips were to put in, I was overjoyed! I would recommend getting a proper metal foot for your machine, rather than the plastic ones that you can pick up at sewing storesl they work much better.

I know invisible zippers aren't exactly period, but they really take the pain out of putting in zippers. Plus they're invisible, so they don't stand out, even if you stuff them up. There are generally instructions on the zippers themselves (well the packaging) but if you google it, there are more in depth instructions. The main difference is that you sew the zipper in before you sew the seam, so it actually makes it easier to take out if you happen to stuff up. It's really just a case of making sure the zipper is basted in, and then sewing as close as possible to the teeth, which is pretty easy with the zipper foot. And the more experience you get, the closer to the teeth you can sew and then more invisible it is.

Yes my invisible zipper foot is one of my favourite sewing tools *sigh* I just don't know how I'd survive without one :p Best of luck with the zippers and I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful dresses!

Snookie

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:

Pink, of the dresses you made to match your shoes, this is by far my favorite color combo. Love the red sash, bringing the color upwards.

Even after doing hundreds of zippers, I'm still not happy with mine, either. These days I'm using invisible zippers almost exclusively. They aren't as strong and certainly aren't period-correct, but they look so much better. Or rather, they don't LOOK at all!

Hand basting is a pain, but can help zipper application tremendously. also try drawing on your stitchline (with a disappearing marker or something), and pin ALOT if you don't want to baste, but remove the pins before sewing over them (which you should do anyway, but here it's extra important).

You're stitching the seam and pressing it open before laying down the zipper, right? Not just folding back the seam allowance?

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
Pink, of the dresses you made to match your shoes, this is by far my favorite color combo. Love the red sash, bringing the color upwards.

You're stitching the seam and pressing it open before laying down the zipper, right? Not just folding back the seam allowance?

Actually those are different shoes not the Faryl Robins.

Wait I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Am I supposed to sew the seam closed before putting in a zipper?

In regards to the other posts, I do have a metal zipper foot and I think I will look into these invisible zippers.

Snookie

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
Actually those are different shoes not the Faryl Robins.

Whoops! :eek: They look nice, too, though!

Pink Dahlia said:
Wait I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Am I supposed to sew the seam closed before putting in a zipper?

In regards to the other posts, I do have a metal zipper foot and I think I will look into these invisible zippers.

Yes, you need to sew the seam closed first (machine baste with a long stitch), then lay the zipper face down over the seam allowance (on the inside), and stitch around it. Then open your seam with your seam ripper. See here http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00168.asp or check out the instructions that come in the zipper package -- they're actually remarkably good instructions, even if they look dated! (don't worry, I've talked to many other people who didn't realize to sew the seam closed - that's why I thought to ask - I was lucky and had 2 great women to show me the ropes, I can't imagine trying to figure it out myself!)

You need an invisible zipper foot to apply invisible zippers, and a regular zipper foot for all others. Using the right foot makes all the difference.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Pink, I am so impressed with your sewing. I am going to try and teach myself this year and your work is so inspirational.

What did you start on?

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i am working on a lovely full skirt from teh 40s, I will have it done today and post it.

But i wanted to tell you guys about a website I found with cheap fabric, and they have the CUTEST seersucker prints.
www.denverfabrics.com

just incase you were wondering :)
oh and They have taffeta and rayons too.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Denver Fabrics

Good call!
I bought a lot of stuff from them when they change ownership. It looks like they still get some of the same items they used to, but they don't sell swatches anymore- too bad!
I ordered some black 100% rayon gabardine recently, it should arrive soon. I'll let you know if it's up-to-par or not.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:
Pink, I am so impressed with your sewing. I am going to try and teach myself this year and your work is so inspirational.

What did you start on?

Aw thanks! :eek:

I actually started with a vintage pattern and Butterick 4790. I worked on them at the same time.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I made this a looooooooong time ago but this is the first time I've worn it. Blame the 3 inch belt buckle. It was damn near impossible to find!

l_77a24da1b1be3a9223b25e1cc1b0a28c.jpg

It's just a simple circle skirt. :)

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
Pink Dahlia said:
I'm not trying to be obnoxious I swear! Anyway this dress is not super. I managed to sew on the most hideous looking zipper ever. Not that the zipper's ugly just the way I sewed it. Grr zippers! Anyone interested in coming over and sewing zippers on for me? I'll give you a cookie.

l_24f0702961e27ce57616cb81d983652e.jpg

1950s pattern:
l_3190110b4f76375efe2179aa671218a8.jpg

Pink, I started this same dress some time ago and never finished it. I have been sewing for some time and don't think I did anything wrong the so far product is just a little screwy. I will have to break it out again and figure out what went wrong!

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
by chance, do you know the pattern number

swingtimegal said:
McCall's has a new high-waisted skirt pattern that doesn't look too difficult:

M5590.jpg

It's still pretty basic, and darts aren't too scary if you practice them on a mockup first.

...lovely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats