Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Here's also photos of my wedding dress I made. There was a vintage piece that went on top for the ceremony and this is what I wore for the reception:
l_7c23e3df22c240d4aa118e5f4385b0f8.jpg

l_96a2a049b4d243b8ae719c3fd797b4e7.jpg

This is with the lace over the top, but you can see all the ruffles I did for the train
l_92a3cf3b908d4a67b14236c1e7175fac.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
I was wondering just today when you'd post wedding photos. I knew your dress would be spectacular! You're just lovely! I love the hair and veil too! Best wishes!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HollywoodPattern960.jpg

My first attempt at this pattern. A few changes I did was elongate the sleeves, add snap fasteners to the opening of the front of the dress, and line the apron.

The apron took longer than the dress. Hey, what can I say, I loves me some piping.

dressfront-1.jpg
dressnoapron.jpg
apronfront.jpg

LD

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Oh Lauren, how do you always make such lovely items?

You all make such fantastic pieces, I want to employ you all as my personal dressmakers!

:eek:fftopic: Lauren, do you mind me asking, where was your reception?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Wow! Thanks so much, everyone, for your well wishes and congrats :) I want to post wedding photos in a thread in steamer trunk, but I have to finish resizing them first. The wedding and reception were both on the Berkeley at the San Diego Maritime Museum. It's a 1890s ferry boat that went between Oakland and San Fransisco. I had never even been on the ship, but Matt found it when we were looking at wedding locations and it ended up being perfect :)

The dress was such a pain- it was a long and tedious process... I made everything Edwardian from my underwear out- including corset and petticoats and everything. The dress went through many phases of creation, but then I got this lace dress from a museum collection, got it professionally cleaned and it was too delicate to wear for dancing, so I drafted the underdress from the original silk underdress that was dying. It was originally very plain silk satin, but the color I got did not end up matching the dress once cleaned, so I added an overlay of ruffles of silk chiffon (boy, did THOSE take forever- Neecerie can attest to my constant dress episodes all spring and summer). And added sleeves, and other things that I had to drape or draft. Note to brides- don't make your dress! lol Though I am happy with how it came out :)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
HollywoodPattern960.jpg

My first attempt at this pattern. A few changes I did was elongate the sleeves, add snap fasteners to the opening of the front of the dress, and line the apron.

The apron took longer than the dress. Hey, what can I say, I loves me some piping.

dressfront-1.jpg
dressnoapron.jpg
apronfront.jpg

LD

Im Jelous! ;) ;)
Sooo cute!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Hopefully one day I'll be as good as the ladies here!! I'm just a beginner, go easy on me:

l_6615273adad74eff931df43b9e50cbb4.jpg

The waist band's a bit wonky and the hem is a bit "rolled" -- lol I'm going to unpick the hem and fix it this weekend. It's from a pattern from 1940.

l_1b247e37179e48f38bd6ebfd152cb1a7.jpg

Apron from a 50s pattern. As you can see, I cut the fabric wrong! lol But I kept on going. This was a practice project. I'm teaching myself to sew by trial and error.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
goldwyn girl said:
Lady Day, the pinny dress is cute.

Pinny dress, is that what they are called?
Thanks!

Amy your stuff looks great :) Practice is how any of us learn. I made TONS of mistakes with cutting fabric, just remember, cut on good side to good or bad side to bad. :)

LD

Lorena B

Practically Family
Lauren, your pics are awesome, beautiful dress.
LD i love the pinny dress, is too cute
Amy Jeanne, i truly think your stuff is lovely. i am currently a learner ( i have sew before but nothing too serious to mention, now i am so serious that i want to start making my own clothes).
I am still making lots of mistakes but like you and LD say is trial and error, and actually that is such a big fun!!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne - I like the things you made. I have made so many mistakes, but you are so right it is one of the best ways to learn I think! I just remind myself that even my mother, who has sewn like a pro since she was twelve, makes mistakes and then I feel better. So keep up the good work, your items are really cute!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Random thought - something that really hit home for me here recently (like during the many hours of sewing costumes over the past few weeks) - irons are really amazing friends to a sewer! I never realized how they can really help with certain sewing tasks and that they can make a novice like me have even better looking work! I now looooove my iron! Just thought I would share my random moment!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Thanks gals! I made another apron -- I made it reversible! I'm also trying to put together a pattern from Eva Dress from 1935. If it comes out ok, I'm going to use it as a nightgown because I'm not using any Interfacing in it.

Inky

One Too Many
Lauren your dress is lovely! What a beautiful heirloom it's going to be. And the Berkeley is a beautiful wedding location. I was married in San Diego too, in Mission Bay. How I miss San Diego sometimes!

LadyDay - that pinny dress is fantastic!! You are such a fast seamstress!

AmyJeanne - for a "novice" seamstress you are doing great! I love the suspender skirt - what pattern is that? I have the EvaDress suspender pants to work on next - and seeing your skirt motivates me to get to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy