Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Oh my GOSH...what's the pattern number?? That dress is awesome, Goldwyn Girl! And totally reminds me of a dress I wore to a Christmas dance in the mid 80's. It was one of those 80's does 40's numbers, and I was soooo excited when I found it. Even then I had a thing for that era....although it doesn't quite go with my huge winged hair and bushy eyebrows. :) Oh well. I've always wanted to make a more authentic version of that dress. I gave it away years ago, as it was a juniors size 5/6. :)
Those were the days......

100_4231.jpg
40sknockoff.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I cant comment on GG because she always looks super awesome :)

I made up the panties from my pattern.

nyp1828.jpg
front-5.jpg

They are out of silk satin, and I did thread button loops o the side. I also liked the crotch in cotton. I like 'em.

detail-2.jpg

LD

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:

nyp1828.jpg
front-5.jpg

They are out of silk satin, and I did thread button loops o the side. I also liked the crotch in cotton. I like 'em.

detail-2.jpg

LD

Holy moly LD, I love these! Now I need to go find me a pattern for panties!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto all that Inky says!
Goldywn Girl,lovely!
Lady Day, those are GREAT! You should repro them, I'm sure lots of gals would want it!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow, thanks gals.
I was really on the fence about it, but you all convinced me I should repo the pattern.
The bra is strange, well not strange, but I think a bit overly complicated. I haven't made it yet but its in my pile :D
Its amazing how little stuff like this takes almost as much time as a blouse or pants!

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LD,they look beautiful but how are they to wear? I'm assuming they won't work under trousers, yes? Are they comfortable? As for the bra, have you ever made a regular (not leisure) bra? If not, just know this, it generally takes 3-4 muslins to get the fit right, but once it's right they generally only take about 2 hours to make. If you make a repro, I'd love the bra also.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh they are *very* comfy. They are tap pants so you feel like you are wearing air :rolleyes:
I dont see why they wouldnt work under trousers.
Im a tightie whities gal, so I couldnt see myself wearing these for everyday, but I could see these for an evening with your man friend ;)

Thanks for the tips on the bra. It just has a lot of pieces, and most are bias cut. I KNOW Im gonna have to adjust the cup size. The bra has deep notches in the back cut for elastic. Very clever.

LD

analiebe

A-List Customer
BRAVA!!!! lady day...
these are simply beautiful... did you use a blind-hem foot to get a clean hem on the panty leg openings?

Lady Day said:

nyp1828.jpg
front-5.jpg

detail-2.jpg

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you, Analiebe.
I dont have a blind hem foot :eek: Id prolly end up doing it by hand anyway. The edges are a simple straight stitch. I think they lay so well because I used 100% cotton thread on these. I think Im spoiled by that thread now.

The original plan was the trim them in a vintage lace, but I couldnt find some that I liked. These were a tester pair anyway. I may sell them as such.

LD

cecil

A-List Customer
deadpandiva said:
Adorable Apron Miss Sis. I love your dress Goldwyn Girl. I have that pattern and know that I see how cute it looks I think I shall make it.

Here's a dress I made a few months ago. I love the collar and sweetheart neckline.
e54994a78260.jpg
0ef5cd763ae3.jpg

This is absolutely darling, DPD. I love it!

cecil

A-List Customer
Lady Day, those are SO GREAT. I have a pattern for some but I only have beginner sewing skills so I haven't made them yet. I really want some!! I've been meaning to buy some vintage ones :)

analiebe

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Thank you, Analiebe.
I dont have a blind hem foot :eek: Id prolly end up doing it by hand anyway. The edges are a simple straight stitch. I think they lay so well because I used 100% cotton thread on these. I think Im spoiled by that thread now.

The original plan was the trim them in a vintage lace, but I couldnt find some that I liked. These were a tester pair anyway. I may sell them as such.

LD

the finish on them looks just perfect - which is why i asked lady day - it speaks volumes to your talent!
and yes - cotton thread is a lovely thing indeed... they certainly would look gorgeous with a lace trim but i really love the simple elegance of them just as they are!!!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
my Victorian looks

Last weekend our family went to the West Coast Ragtime Festival. The time frame was 1890-1920. I had made 2 late 1880s blouse and skirt costumes for an xmas play in 2006, just had to do some serious alterations to have them fit me (I was much heavier then). Here is one of the outfits, the navy blue velvet blouse was from Macys. I just did lots of changes to make it more period;, including narrowing the sleeves, replacing buttons, and taking in the back and sides. The navy and red skirt of upholstery weight fabric is from a recreation of a late 1880s pattern from Past Patterns.

Worn Friday at the Festival:
378518031.jpg

Newly made just for the Festival. I had a lovely chocolate brown bridal lace corset already, that I made large satin sleeves for and sewed them and sleeve heads into the armholes, added drapery trim with large pendant glass beading trim all around the neckline. Used the same skirt pattern again for the matching satin skirt with faux fur trim around the bottom.

Worn Saturday evening:
378540912.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo