Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Forum appropriate - a FN Model 1910. The grips are ivory and appear to be handmade. They aren't quite the same on both sides, but lovely nonetheless.

I can't say how old this one is - but it is old. I'd guess the '20s to '40s as it came from an ancestor of my father-in-law and he was born in '23. These were made until the early '80s though.

Last edited:

jhe888

One of the Regulars
And you might not know it, but this is also period appropriate. It is a Weatherby from '49 or '50. This is from when Weatherby used Mauser actions, and the serial number puts it back to those years.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
And one that is a little outside the range, but a Smith pre-model 27. I haven't checked the age of serial number, but this one is, I think, from the middle to late '50s.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Me. :eusa_doh: And then the blasted thing was mighty hard to remove too. A bit of filing and a dremel tool can go a long way towards fixing that issue though. It's been said that the Russians intended that the bayonet stay on most of the time. I tend to think that might have been true.
How many have poked their ceiling with a Mosin-Nagant bayonet because you just had to fix the bayonet to "see how it looked" ?

Matt

rjb1

Practically Family
Very good looking S&W. A pre-Mod 27 goes back to earlier than 1957, which is when S&W started assigning Model numbers. The fact that it is a 5-screw model means it is even earlier, pre-1955.

rjb1

Practically Family
Before spending the money on a factory letter you might want to get a book called "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson". It has a huge amount of S&W information in it. You could probably estimate your pistol's age within a year or so just from the information in there. It also has lots of material about the history of S&W and the early models (pre-Civil War).

Colt .32 Police Positive. Dated this one circa 1948.

20140507_152153_resized.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
I've resurrected a few rust buckets. But nothing quite that bad. Worst was a Remington 1100 that had been underwater for several weeks. As well as that Model 81 Remington I post pics of here. It was rusted shut. I got both firearms operational. Shot them both!

Btw, stuck a vintage scope on a vintage rifle today. My Remington 721 30/06 mfg in '49. Scope is a Norman & Ford "Texan" 2x

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks Mike. I feel vintage rifles deserve vintage optics or sights. Have several fitted with old receiver sights. I can see them. I'm not into the "long range" sniper game. When I hunt, I like to do just that, hunt! Stalk and snoop. (Mebbe even take a nap).

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Yup. Hunting in Africa is kind of like that. Up before dawn, spot and stalk all morning, eat lunch out of the back of the Cruiser, sleep for an hour or so on the grass, back to hunting, hit camp after sunset, shower and change for dinner then sit around the campfire until you drop off. Start over again the next morning. And I never took a shot over 125 yards. Gawd, I miss that . . .

And I agree. Vintage rifles need vintage sights. Personally I'm a great fan of peeps but if I ever did decide to scope the .318 I'd want something pre-war. A Zeiss, perhaps . . .

Renault

One Too Many
Walter, that .318 needs a rigby style peep that is fitted to a dovetail and silver soldered in place on the cocking piece of the bolt. Classic look. And on a Mauser action you simply remove cocking piece and replace with a new one with the sight in place! Keep the original piece, original!

Like this!

http://www.gun-shop.biz/id44.html

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Sigh! If only I had known about those cocking piece sights ten or so years ago . . . Instead I replaced the express sights with a vintage, all-steel Williams peep. It works a treat and is true to the period even if it isn't all original.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Jfk

shamelessly stole this from another (The Truth About Guns) site, where they had it as a caption contest:

550x706xUdNMCYo1_jpg_pagespeed_ic_XNCa3UPZ3R_zpsc52ab8a2.jpg

My favourite so far was, " It took a young Lee Harvey Oswald a little time but eventually he figured it out"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou