Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

MikePotts

Practically Family
Yes, yes it is Bob - but I do see a couple of fedoras. Even so I buried it here in the 'guns' thread [huh] so as not to upset the more sensitive....

KilroyCD

One Too Many
A year and a half ago I posted about a Snider-Enfield I got through IMA: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...s-your-Guns!&p=1521871&viewfull=1#post1521871
I've had the pleasure of shooting it a number of times times since then, but nothing gave me greater pleasure than what happened at our club's Antique Rifle Match yesterday. We had three of our Youth Air Rifle League shooters come out to the Antique Match, and one of them wanted to try my Snider. I had the pleasure of being trounced by one of the girls I coach in the Air Rifle League. Here is 13-year-old Kelly shooting a .577 caliber Snider-Enfield that is only a few inches shorter than she is tall. She more than doubled my score, using my rifle.

rjb1

Practically Family
Young eyes can give a marvelous sight-picture. The fact that she knows about breathing and trigger pull to go long with the proper use of the sights gave her a triple advantage.
Good for you for getting young people involved in shooting.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
We have room for you here....:p

Need a job and a house.

Really, to have a gun I have to:
-pay to a club (so they can add me to the federation)
-pay to a medic (so he/she certifies me that I'm capable of shooting a gun without ever shooting one)
-pay to a federation (so they can send me a card that allow me to get a gun permit)
-pay to the police (for lessons, exams and the gun permit)

Can only use it hunting or on target practice areas (and there are none here). This is not cheap. If I stop paying the club or the federation, the police can take my gun away... and sell it if I don't start paying the other two.
Then I find funny that when I bought a CO2 lever action gun, everyone stated "the CO2 is a rent"...

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Young eyes can give a marvelous sight-picture.

Especially 13-year-old eyes not looking through a set of bifocals...

The fact that she knows about breathing and trigger pull to go long with the proper use of the sights gave her a triple advantage.
Absolutely. In the Air Gun League we stress all of the above. She is also one of our tournament shooters, so I expected her to do well despite never having fired a 140-year-old black powder cartridge rifle before.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Need a job and a house.

-pay to a medic (so he/she certifies me that I'm capable of shooting a gun without ever shooting one)
-pay to a federation (so they can send me a card that allow me to get a gun permit)

Can only use it hunting or on target practice areas (and there are none here). This is not cheap. If I stop paying the club or the federation, the police can take my gun away... and sell it if I don't start paying the other two.
Then I find funny that when I bought a CO2 lever action gun, everyone stated "the CO2 is a rent"...

I'm really not laughing or trying to 'rub it in' Joao - I immigrated to the U.S. myself many years ago, mainly due to the onerous gun laws in the U.K. - all I had to do for this one:

P1010519_zpsb0526f2d.jpg

was hand over some money and show a Texas Drivers License!

There has to be a way......

MP

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I'm really not laughing or trying to 'rub it in' Joao - I immigrated to the U.S. myself many years ago, mainly due to the onerous gun laws in the U.K. - all I had to do for this one:

P1010519_zpsb0526f2d.jpg

was hand over some money and show a Texas Drivers License!

There has to be a way......

MP
That gun is impossible to own legally in Portugal.
The more I read the legislation, the more I realize it's near impossible to own a firearm "just to shoot".
Not even with a firearm shooting federation... very bullet shot must be accounted for. You have 1 bullet that mismatch the registration and you're screwed.
Someone will count the bullets spent and register that on a book!

Renault

One Too Many
Ok, I know how much Joao appreciates lever guns. Here's the 1894 Winchester I picked up a week or two back. Someone who had it before me really messed up the dovetail where the magazine band holds the mag to the barrel. If you do not know, these dovetails are cut on a radius and in order to remove them properly you twist the band 90 degrees to remove it. Do NOT wale away on ot with a hammer to try to get it out. Whoever had it before me did a decent job of covering up the botch job. So here is what I did. I "buttoned" the magazine tube. Used a rounded mag plug off a model 64. Milled a new hole for the mag plug retainer screw in the bottom flat of the barrel. And migged up the old dovetail.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Wow! That's crazy. You should live out here in the west then. Plenty of gun owners and plenty of reasons for owning them. Lots of game and varmints that sometimes need to be dealt with.
If you have any experience in the oil industry or geology or some related field I bet you could find a job easily. Rent a place until you are established enough to buy a house if you wish.
I just can't imagine living without guns. :(
Need a job and a house.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
You're lucky then, having all that tasty meat running around for the picking. I see where those feral hogs are really quite a nuisance all over the south, so why not make bacon and hams out of them? :) It's a win/win situation then, hunters bring home the bacon, and country clubs are rid of the varmints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou