Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I know how much Joao appreciates lever guns. Here's the 1894 Winchester I picked up a week or two back. Someone who had it before me really messed up the dovetail where the magazine band holds the mag to the barrel. If you do not know, these dovetails are cut on a radius and in order to remove them properly you twist the band 90 degrees to remove it. Do NOT wale away on ot with a hammer to try to get it out. Whoever had it before me did a decent job of covering up the botch job. So here is what I did. I "buttoned" the magazine tube. Used a rounded mag plug off a model 64. Milled a new hole for the mag plug retainer screw in the bottom flat of the barrel. And migged up the old dovetail.
Nice 1894. Wish I could own one. I would also like to be able to repair guns.

Wow! That's crazy. You should live out here in the west then. Plenty of gun owners and plenty of reasons for owning them. Lots of game and varmints that sometimes need to be dealt with.
If you have any experience in the oil industry or geology or some related field I bet you could find a job easily. Rent a place until you are established enough to buy a house if you wish.
I just can't imagine living without guns. :(
Sadly I'm not in that area, but I do learn easily. The employment market in Portugal doesn't "allow" me to work on another area because no one is accepting "newbies", everyone wants people with experience.
I work on graphic arts (I'm not a designer, I'm the one that fix bad designers work), use a digital printing press, do some manual finishing work (today I've been manually collate and stapling magazines).

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Well, we've got plenty of jobs in California in the various graphic arts fields. Heck, we've got plenty of jobs for anyone who can handle CAD or CAM. Digital is where it's at. Yes, I know, California has a 'terrible' reputation for gun laws but if you're a legal resident and take a hunter safety class (1 weekend!) and can wait ten days, buying a rifle or shotgun is no problem. A handgun takes, I think, 2 weekends. So some of it a nuisance but it's liveable. Oh, and the governor is a gun owner.

And we've been killing feral hog for 250 years . . .

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Right. One of those porkers equals 2 hams, 2 tenderloins, 2 sides of bacon, 2 racks of ribs,...sausage,..and one Christmas Boar's Head. Enough meat to last a month or two depending upon the beast's size and one's rate of consumption. I'd love to travel south for a hog safari some time.
That's right. I've been hunting them over 30 years. However I'm not one to shoot more than I can handle at one time. That seems to be the norm with many "hunters".

Renault

One Too Many
Horace, my rule of thumb is never shoot one that you can't carry with one hand! Know it sounds cruel, but the absolute best eating ones are around 30-40 pounds, dressed. Or smaller. I will split them down the middle and throw them on the pit.

Now when we make sausage. That's a different story. And there are several of us around to handle a bigger critter. Not wanting to hijack the thread. Here's the obligatory gun photo to get us back on track. Dunno if I e posted this one in a while or not. My Colt 1917 New Service with accoutrements;

Renault

One Too Many
My coworker used a 1917 ( or Mebbe it was a smith 25-2?) in some kind of combat shooting competition. And he used 1/2 moon clips. He has some kinda rig made out of a 2x4 and a nail to load and unload clips. I only saw it once and really don't remember what it looked like or how it worked.

Renault

One Too Many
Walter, you just don't see em much anymore. Either smiths or Colts. Last ones we had thru were reblued beaters! However we do have a Rinaldo A Carr inspected Martial Colt 1878/04 that walked in the other day. It's not the greatest, but it functions!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Speaking of Smith and Wesson model 1917s, one of my coworkers just picked up a Brazilian contract one for right at 500. I too would love to get my hands on one.

Last edited:

forestranger

New in Town
Not vintage but three of my favorites.

Attachments

• FA 023 (2).jpg
    FA 023 (2).jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 185

forestranger

New in Town
No the carbine is 357 magnum. The Colt Commander 45 ACP and the Ruger is 45 Colt. I have a Ruger 357 "50th Anniversary" Blackhawk and a couple of S&W 357s to go with the carbine if needed. Most of my truly vintage firearms aren't shot much due to difficulty getting them repaired if something breaks. That Buffalo Bore 180 gr bullet chronographed at nearly 1900fps out the 16" barrel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters