Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
You can't get ATF approval for any gun made before 1898 because they don't have jurisdiction. By law anything of that vintage isn't a firearm, it's an antique and should be imported with the word "antiques" on the Customs form. I know, I've tried. The ATF was sympathetic but couldn't help. Unfortunately, if you are importing from the UK, the British government doesn't accept the pre-1898 classification. It's things like that that are forcing me to go for the full scale FFL.

JeffOYB

Vendor
I have a fair number of firearms, but here are a couple of pics of the one that I use the most and have shot the most game with (pardon the recent field repair). It's period correct and it was my grampa's...

singleshot_sm.jpg

turkey_tableau_sm.jpg

JeffOYB

Vendor
Speaking of "Display Cases," my wife let me do the following last year. I've since added a couple framed vintage magazine covers to the upper left and right...

jp_wall_decor_sm.jpg

JeffOYB

Vendor
I used to be very biased toward wood. OK, I still am, but I'll accept a camo-imprinted plastic on stainless. But nice wood is best of all.

I'm really into folk art guns these days -- home-carved and decorated guns. I wish I had the nerve to whittle on one! Someday!

As an aside, since it's offtopic because I don't own one, but a Marble's Gamegetter would really be something to have. I also really like the idea of modifying guns with a view to packability -- a pack gun that fits in a holster with folding stock seems wonderful. Make it a combo-gun with rifle and shotgun barrels and I'm in heaven, but I admit I don't actually have an in-field need. It could happen... So a Savage M24 might be in my future, but something that I'd call an American-style drilling in .22, .243, and 20-ga would make me faint. But, off "gun talk" and back to reality...

I enjoy the wood on a few of my guns. What I most enjoy is when nice wood shows up on pedestrian guns (which all of mine are). Here's a little something you don't often see...

View attachment 237

View attachment 238

Last edited:

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Randooch and Stearmen, can we please try to keep things civil? This thread has lasted nearly 300 pages, please don't cause it to be shut down when there are so many who actually want to see and talk about GUNS...
dillenger.jpg

If you really must have at each other, please do so via PM, or start your own threads that can be shut down by the mods. thank you.

I have a Kimber Pro CDP, also. Sharp looking gun, shoots easily and is very accurate and carries well.

DB, I've heard descriptions of Kimbers as you've said: sharp, easy shooters that are accurate and enjoyable to carry... others have said "they're just for show, the extra $$ is just for the finishing coat...." What do you think? Are they worth it? My brother just bought a set of Kimber Customs as an engagement gift to his fiance,
387384_10150495385517022_798982021_8610157_1684435349_n.jpg

(she said she'd rather a gun than a ring, so he inscribed the trigger guard with a "typical" engagement inscription...)
396054_10150495389322022_798982021_8610206_211170413_n.jpg

but I don't think I could justify spending $,$$$ for a brand name when I'd be happy with a tuned up good ol' MilSurp WWII gun for $$$...

on another note I finally found a guy (Director of the "Ministry of National History & Culture") who'll at least look into the laws for me on this side, see if I can't get an old C&R type rifle, possibly like this one
k98_sniper-3.jpg

or if not a rifle, a Turkish shotgun like this DeHaan
dehaan1.jpg

Still waiting to hear from ATF re private import for private use...

JeFoyb, nice den!

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The ATF isn't one of the Fed's speediest agencies. If you correctly fill out a Form 6 it will take about six weeks to get back to you. If you screw up one section, add six more.:D However, so long as the weapon is a genuine sporting piece, especially if its a C&R, it really isn't a problem. My first import was a Greener 'African Game Park Warden' model, made in the late '30's in .318 WR. Recently I brought in a Jeffrey SLE with 2.5" chambers and a Martini action .22 match rifle. It just takes patience.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I have a Kimber Pro CDP, also. Sharp looking gun, shoots easily and is very accurate and carries well.
DB, I've heard descriptions of Kimbers as you've said: sharp, easy shooters that are accurate and enjoyable to carry... others have said "they're just for show, the extra $$ is just for the finishing coat...." What do you think? Are they worth it? My brother just bought a set of Kimber Customs as an engagement gift to his fiance

I have one of the earlier ultra carry models. It's the plain one, alloy frame for weight reduction, all black, no dehorning ect.

One thing about it though, it's a shooter. I can hit with it almost as well as with my Colt Gold Cup, or the Kimber match model I have, cannot remember the exact model name, they have so many and it's in the safe right now. It has been totally reliable with Win 230 gr ball, 185 gr ball and my reloads. The only downside is that the compact size uses a special recoil spring system which makes take down for cleaning a bit trickier.

Doublegun

Practically Family
There are so many Kimber models that you can get one that is eye candy or one that is combat ready and built for wet work but which ever you chose you can expect out of the box accuracy that is probably unrivaled. The only drawback of the shorter barrelled Kimbers is putting them back together after cleaning. It is a PITA and it doesn't get that much easier with practice. Are Kimbers worth the price? Pretty subjective topic and impossible for me to answer.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Randooch and Stearmen, can we please try to keep things civil? This thread has lasted nearly 300 pages, please don't cause it to be shut down when there are so many who actually want to see and talk about
I guess my humour was a little to low brow for this group! I thought enough of you had gone through basic training and would understand the joke. You know, "this is my rifle, this is my gun....!"

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I thought enough of you had gone through basic training and would understand the joke. You know, "this is my rifle, this is my gun....!"

Pff, basic training? Only need to watch "Full Metal Jacket" to catch the tongue-in-cheek tone of your comment. ;)

MKL

A-List Customer
A couple I picked up a couple weeks ago

My son and I picked up these two guns recently. He got the rifle and I got the pistol. The rifle is a Mosin Nagant (year 1943) and the pistol is a Walther P99 compact (9mm).

mkl

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo