Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

warbird

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Let's not forget the difference between cover and concealment.

You know, the more I participate in cover exercises, the less I am comfortable with them. :)

Modern ammo can get through so many things you can almost never be comfortable in a house clearing or home defense situation hiding behind a corner, a refrigerator or most other things. Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't use them, course I would. Something is better than nothing. But I sure wouldn't be feeling too comfortable about it. I think the best you hope for is that they never see you until it is too late or that their aim isn't good if they shoot before you have a chance. Or that they have an inferior cartridge weapon.

Warbird, this is also part of why my defense-plans for my eventual home are built around exploiting my light-sensitive eyes plus using superior technology to ensure that I get the element of surprise. Near-blackout conditions inside, RFID tags in everyone's keycards to act as IFF transponders, IR trackers in every room creating a 3d realtime data-model of who's where with a computer then adding a "No Shoot" marker to friendlies and transmitting the relevant data to a Head Up Display mounted on my rifle, or once imaging technology evolves far enough projected right onto my eyeglass lenses.

BTW, PM about flight-training with light-sensitive eyes incoming sometime soon.

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
Gentlemen, can I pop in here?! I've enjoyed seeing all the sidekicks you have, here's one of my own.

2e079a73.jpg

c6b53762-2.jpg

It's a S&W .38 special, snubby, airweight.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As you all have mentioned, having a red-dot or holo is good for CQC, and the ACOG is good for 50 to 300 yards (and more, etc). So what if you married the two?

I'm considering an ACOG with the DOC (Doctor Optic) Red Dot sight that sits just on top of the ACOG. They're one piece (or at least as best I can tell) and the price is not dramatically different than the regular ACOG. I apologize that I hadn't mentioned that previously.

Now if I could only HANDLE one of these things...

My local Scheels said they could possibly get a hold of one special order, but they couldn't even guarantee which one. Bass Pro Shop referred me to Scheels. I have yet to hit my Sportsmans Warehouse. Any other suggestions? [huh]

Story

I'll Lock Up
PrairieSunrise said:
Gentlemen, can I pop in here?! I've enjoyed seeing all the sidekicks you have, here's one of my own. It's a S&W .38 special, snubby, airweight.

Needs pink bullets, too. :eusa_clap Welcome to FL.

MKL

A-List Customer
PrairieSunrise said:
Gentlemen, can I pop in here?! I've enjoyed seeing all the sidekicks you have, here's one of my own.

2e079a73.jpg

c6b53762-2.jpg

It's a S&W .38 special, snubby, airweight.

PrairieSunrise,

Is it a 5 or 6 chambered pistol?

Very nice. Have you shot it much?

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
MKL said:
PrairieSunrise,

Is it a 5 or 6 chambered pistol?

Very nice. Have you shot it much?

It's a 5 chamber. I haven't shot it a lot, I've only put around 20 practice rounds threw it. I can't afford to shoot it for sport right now with ammo costing what it does! I typically carry hollow points.

I prefer my Dad's .22 revolver for fun shooting.... much easier on the pocket book!

WH1

Practically Family
Undertow said:
As you all have mentioned, having a red-dot or holo is good for CQC, and the ACOG is good for 50 to 300 yards (and more, etc). So what if you married the two?

I'm considering an ACOG with the DOC (Doctor Optic) Red Dot sight that sits just on top of the ACOG. They're one piece (or at least as best I can tell) and the price is not dramatically different than the regular ACOG. I apologize that I hadn't mentioned that previously.

A lot of MARSOC operators in Afghanistan are using the acog with the Trijicon Mini Reflex sight mounted on top. It is a good setup for the varied terrains and distances of engagements in the AO. The ACOG has proven to be an excellent sight, just don't run it over with an MATV;)

I have been reading up on the new Burris 332 as a possible for the next M4 varient I build. Anyone have any experience with it yet? Substantially small investment compared to the ACOG or EOTech.

Undertow

WH1 said:
I have been reading up on the new Burris 332 as a possible for the next M4 varient I build. Anyone have any experience with it yet? Substantially small investment compared to the ACOG or EOTech.

I haven't had experience with that particular scope, although it looks pretty sharp. I did, however, mount a Burris Fullfield II 4.5x-14x-42mm on my Remy 700 .30-06 and I can say it's pretty darn nice. Dependable and rugged, although I can't say I've been dropping it often. ;)

I am really impressed with Burris and I think for the money, it's well worth a try. About how much is the 332?

JimWagner

Practically Family
warbird said:
Modern ammo can get through so many things you can almost never be comfortable in a house clearing or home defense situation hiding behind a corner, a refrigerator or most other things.

I was watching a tv program the other night (Best Defense, I think) where they were firing different weapons, from 9mm on up to 12 ga side to side, through and through water jugs inside a fridge at a target on the far side.

If I ever thought a refrigerator provided any cover protection I was quickly stripped of that idea.

Undertow

I suppose it makes sense, a bullet penetrating a refrigerator, as there is really very little for it to go through. I'm just surprised it doesn't shimmy off into another direction. [huh]

warbird

One Too Many
Undertow said:

Now if I could only HANDLE one of these things...

My local Scheels said they could possibly get a hold of one special order, but they couldn't even guarantee which one. Bass Pro Shop referred me to Scheels. I have yet to hit my Sportsmans Warehouse. Any other suggestions? [huh]

I used a set up with a very similar config this weekend. It wasn't an ACOG, but another similar Trij with an unmagnified reflex mounted at a 45 degree angle off to one side of the sight. It works very well. You simply turn the gun to a slight angle and look down that sight. It still allows for two eye open shooting and has excellent wide view of your surroundings. The 556 is a perfect round for this type of shooting. A rifle with more recoil such as a 6.8 might not be so easy.

My next build will likely be a 6.8 piston driven upper.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Well, since the door has been opened to high-tech....

LMT.jpg

Not set up for personal or home defense. This rig is for 4-legged varmits at 400-500 yards. LMT AR 15 with Leupold 6x-20x AO scope.

Doublegun

Practically Family
And something a little more befitting the FL. This is an early Griffin & Howe custom rifle built on a Springfield action and chambered in 7mm Mauser. The Lyman 48 peep sight is remarkably accurate even with my aging eyes:

GH7mm.jpg

GH7mm2.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
Whoa Doublegun!:eusa_clap My hands would shake if I held that gun.:)

I have a similar sight on a FN Commercial Mauser. It always amazes me, how accurate a simple peep can be. The FN is on top.
DSC00683.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Thanks, Rumblefish. G&H made their rifles to be used and I'll put mine to work this fall (although weather conditions will be determinative). In spite of the big glass I have on my LMT, I usually opt for simple low power scopes on most of my rifles. My go-to deer rifle is a M70 with a Leupold 4x scope. That's enough glass for any deer sized game at 3006 ranges.

You are right about peeps, though. Off hand I can shoot the G&H with the Lyman as well as I can the M70 out to about 75-yards. Mauser's are great actions. Interesting trigger on the middle rifle. Is it two-stage?

WH1

Practically Family
THe Griffin & Howe rifles are beautiful. I have never been fortunate enough to own one but have always greatly admired them. Their stocks always have the nicest color.

Rumblefish the middle rifle, the Mannlicher, what is its caliber. I have a particular weakness for the full stock and the butter knife bolt handle. I had a 6.5x54 with the double set triggers many years ago and have always regretted letting it go. I purchased it from a very nice little old lady who's husband had captured it during World War II. She also had a pair of drillings and a JP Sauer 16 gauge which I coveted greatly but was never able to purchase from her.

rumblefish

One Too Many
The middle gun is a Mannlicher Shoenauer 52 in 30-06. It's a single trigger, but it's trigger guard has a bit of metal that rounds out the the hole. That rifle has a swing away Lyman peep itself. As rudimentary and basic that sight is, it really does make for accurate shooting. An inside "window' swings out of the outer frame of the sight leaving a wider hole to look through for low light shooting. I've used the low-light setting in the field and been happy with the results. The 52 is distinguished from the 50 by the swept-back bolt handle.

The MS below was my fathers, a 56 in .243 Win. I believe this model was the last from MS before the MCA came out. My father had Griffin & Howe install their side scope mount with dove tail mounts instead of rings to accommodate the Hensolt Wetzlar Diavari 1.5-6 scope he bought for it. This rifle does have the double set triggers. The 56 is distinguished from the 52 by the high comb and no blueing on the the bolt handle.
DSC00870.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy