Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
SarahB said:
Hi Fleur! :) I've been wanting to do exactly the same thing. I am so bored of the black and would like a lovely chocolate brown. I have been to a few salons and they have quoted me about £150-200 (!!) which would involve stripping the black (numerous times if need be), bleach and then a brown dye. It's a long process and pretty much fries your hair. Black permanent dye is just the worst thing to try and get rid of. However, my boyfriend's sister actually got rid of her black by using those pre-lightening kits which Boots etc sell. I've read the packets and they apparently remove even dark dye from hair so I'm very tempted to have a go!

So basically no, the brown dye will do nothing to the black. Also I have enquired about this process at trainee/model nights and they all wouldn't do it and advised a more senior hairdresser.

In the past I have dyed my roots the dark, deep brown....so it blended
a bit with the black. It took some time for the total growth of the new hair
with the dyed brown to grow out, but to me it was a much nicer process in getting out of the 'boxed in" black hair color. I would just continue touching up the roots and eventually I had a nice deep dark brown blending in with the black. It actually looked really good to my surprise.
AGAIN...this is coloring the roots brown, not the entire head of hair.

The bravest girl would have to probably do this process for some length of time until the brown was at ear or shoulder level and then eventually cut off the remaining length with the black in it.

Just another method ~ May not be for all, however it is another way.

Ohairas has a lot of great advice below, and I would indeed take in all that she has said
before taking any action.

Cheers xo

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Jazzbaby, that is indeed another great option. Esp. if they were to pull it through the cap first and get out "some" of the black.
Also a very good idea if you are a natural blond or dishwater color, and need to grow out the black. Again, use only semi permanant, and as she said, only the regrowth. (Unless the old highlights need to be recovered if they'd faded). If need be, you can use a lighter brown each time until the black is finally gone.

The reverse rolls with a french roll or chignon in back will disquise the dark ends while growing out too.

Nikki

ladyk

Familiar Face
This is the exact problem I'm having too. I've let about 4 inches grow out (thankfully my hair grows quite quickly) but the grey is driving me insane, I look like pepe le pui! I've been going grey since I was 17, so I'm used to dying my hair constantly.

I'm going from black to red, so my hairdresser has recommended that I go to one of the colouring schools they have in London where they teach stylists to strip hair. Shes fantastic so I have no doubt shes on the right track. Cheaper too, much nicer than spending £200!

If you want the details she has given me, drop me a line. I don't have them to hand at the moment.

Nina

New in Town
thanks everyone.
hadley, my best mate made the shirt, she is pretty amazing.

the thing with my hair is that i mananged to do the rolls as the longest parts of my hair is at the front, but the rest is quite short and there are layers cut underneath the long parts. at the back my hair is really quite short as i don't like having to figure out what to do with it so i'd rather not see it. 2 inches at the most and shorter near the hairline. don't think i could get a curler round those parts. oh well, looks like i've got some growing to do, i've been considering growing it back to my previous length but hate the mid length stage. now i've got the vintage look i don't think i have that problem any more

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Okay, I have a hair question that's been plaguing me for awhile now. How can I get volume at my roots in the way the ever-so-lovely Dita von Teese does in this picture?:

ditahair.jpg

I got a lot of hair, that's pretty thick, but it doesn't have much volume to it. I've used volumizing mousses before, but I'm not quite sure how to use them, what effect they'll give and which brands are good. Every time I've used one it didn't really do anything.

Also, any good "patterns" for rollers or tips to get waves like that?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi Pigeon~
I would suggest a volumizing mousse such as Paul Mitchell's extra body foam. Be sure to work through roots well, thru to ends. For more body at the crown and roots, roll curlers all the way down in these areas, not just a few rollers around the perimeter of your head, if that makes sense? Say you are parting your hair to the right. When you bring up a section of hair along this part, you want to roll that section down and to your right.. however, before you start rolling, push/comb the section towards the left side of the head. This is called over directing the section. Then when you roll it all the way down you'll have more lift there. Go ahead and roll the front section under, and crown sections back. For more lift you may even want to roll all rollers back, and then brush well and part after set is removed.

Curls and waves will turn out better and more uniform if you are able to keep the section of hair straight across and even while rolling on curler. This means ends of the hair must go on the roller first. If you spiral the hair on the roller, or say, put the curler against your strand of hair in the middle and then "twist" hair around till it's wound, your curls will be a bit more frizzy "looking", even tho they're not, and they will separate and hang more in tendrils. I hope that makes sense to everyone!

I also want to add that this is more for those with thick, heavy, and more one length hair. If it's shorter and layered, it will be so full you probably will want to wash it out. Either way, be prepared to give it a good brushing or two!

Nikki

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thanks so much for the tips! I actually fooled around with the mousse a bit more and got it to work out nicely! I think I was being a little too heavy handed before and it managed to weigh my hair down.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
WOW i am so impressed with all those do's there are some crackers in that lot!
really loved all of them.
picture424ln3.jpg

Here is my first offering....it took me three weeks to figure it out and i am still not 100% happy with it ! But will perfect it ...i must ....i must.....:p

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I want this EXACT same hairstyle, only a little shorter a la Jean Arthur!! I love this!! I don't know why this photo never struck me until now [huh]

shepkatt

Familiar Face
Hi gals.. Just found this site and this thread.. I am growing out my hair and right now only have a few styles that I do..

1377778768_l.jpg

l_a8b0cde6e7fd11be6713f74e1de21cba.jpg

l_5202987b8e3e3742f4eaae0a044e72a4.jpg

l_85e0806e9e175a38cc638455502cb59d.jpg

Anyway.. that's about all I got for doing my hair.. Hope to learn more in the future!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Two Days/Two Styles

Two Days/Two Styles

Day One. Brushed through the curls with my fingers only. Pinned up one side.
003hairb01.jpg

Day Two. Used a brush to brush the curls and wore two rolls.
003hairc04.jpg

003hairc03.jpg

Christine

New in Town
Aw all of you ladies are so pretty! I was wondering if any of you have naturally curly hair? I have naturally curly hair and when it dries forms into tight spiral curls. Common sense tells me I don't need to particularlyfuss with pin curls? Also, how long would a piece of hair have to be to form a really good reverse roll? I'm recovering from a horrid haircut (that will take a year to grow out :rage: ) and it seems as if it isn't long enough to be able to do it (about 5-6 inches).

Yeah, i'm full of questions but you ladies are very knowledgable and I have learned more here than from other sites I have run across. :)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Lolita, I near had heart failure when I saw your hair, just spectular, see how that thickness works for you. I am so jealous!!!!

Christine, I have naturally curly hair. I set it on magnetic rollers, the larger the better after washing. Then when its dry I reset or pin curl, depending on the style I want or perhaps I'll leave it straight. Time also being a factor. 2 to 3 hours being my normal wash to ready time. When I'm in humidity, lots of hairspray, although at times it does'nt help. If I allowed my hair to dry naturally its tight spiral frizz. Curly hair is a lot of work and I hated mine for years but learn't to work with it, but what I wouldn't give to have straight hair even for just a little while.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I have super straight hair. There's not even a hint of curl. Needless to say my hair doesn't hold curl well. Anyway, I've found that hot rollers - lots of hairspray or pin curls - setting lotion keep curl in my hair.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
LolitaHaze said:
Two Days/Two Styles

Day One. Brushed through the curls with my fingers only. Pinned up one side.
003hairb01.jpg

Day Two. Used a brush to brush the curls and wore two rolls.
003hairc04.jpg

003hairc03.jpg

Lolita, you and your hair - gorgeous!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
I am finding, I am having the hardest time with vintage hair styles, specifically the 40s, because I have about 4958637272 layers to my hair from a bad hair do about 2 years ago :(
Its so hard to curl and stuff with all those layers. anyone else have that prob??[huh]

pretty faythe

One Too Many
exquisitebones said:
I am finding, I am having the hardest time with vintage hair styles, specifically the 40s, because I have about 4958637272 layers to my hair from a bad hair do about 2 years ago :(
Its so hard to curl and stuff with all those layers. anyone else have that prob??[huh]

My layers are from a bad hair cut a few months ago. My arms get a little tired in the morning when I do my hair cuz I have to redo redo redo. but I fing that bobby pins and hair spray are my best friends. Also, if I have rolled my hair the night berore, it is also easier to tame the front into rolls.

Christine

New in Town
goldwyn girl said:
Lolita, I near had heart failure when I saw your hair, just spectular, see how that thickness works for you. I am so jealous!!!!

Christine, I have naturally curly hair. I set it on magnetic rollers, the larger the better after washing. Then when its dry I reset or pin curl, depending on the style I want or perhaps I'll leave it straight. Time also being a factor. 2 to 3 hours being my normal wash to ready time. When I'm in humidity, lots of hairspray, although at times it does'nt help. If I allowed my hair to dry naturally its tight spiral frizz. Curly hair is a lot of work and I hated mine for years but learn't to work with it, but what I wouldn't give to have straight hair even for just a little while.

I know what you mean! I pretty much lied to myself for over a year and a half by wearing my hair straight everyday. Now i'm learning to work with it, not against it. All about buying the right products, I guess. Thanks for your reply. I tried a set of hot rollers but they didn't turn out to be very good in the end. I will give the magnetic rollers a shot though and see what happens.

Christine

New in Town
exquisitebones said:

:eek: Don't feel too bad, i'm having the same problem as you are. The 'hairstylist' cut my hair into layers that make no sense at all. They don't even blend and one side is longer than the other. I'm betting you don't have an almost perfectly round fro like I do. lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany