Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Two killer coats there. I would wear the tweed tomorrow but as a straight caucasian I'm afraid I couldn't swing the alpaca, lovely as it is.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Two weeks ago I spent the day around Brick Lane in London searching for a duffle coat for my daughter's xmas present. Of course I was distracted and went shopping for some clothes for myself.

My first find was this belted camel overcoat. It was on a market stall for £30. I paid the full price but they threw in two nice printed cotton scarves (which I am wearing in the pictures). I like the way it is a heavy winter coat, but made in England to be sold in Bermuda. The belt is rather short (or I am too large for it) and only just buckles up, so I am considering having it altered to a half belt at the rear, which will make it rather nice.

camelcoat.jpg

camelcoat2.jpg

camellapeldetail.jpg

camelcoatlabel2.jpg

camelcoatlabel.jpg

Next I found this overcoat, which I guess dates back to the 1940s, or even the 1930s. It was on a large stall in an open air market. The man selling it mainly traded in modern Marks and Spencers rejects or out of date stock. This was rather out of place among the rest of the stock. He wanted £50 but we agreed on £35. These days it's damn rare to find large British overcoats so I couldn't turn it down. There are no maker's labels.

britishcoat.jpg

britishcoatdetail.jpg

britishcoatview.jpg

britishcoatview2.jpg

I thought that was a very succesful day's shopping!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
This is, without doubt, my new go to coat when I need one (and I often do.) The seller told me the coat was from the fifties, but I cannot really tell, the union label is... odd. I cannot find any reference to it, anyone know? It's a tweed with white flecks.

Over all view:
Screenshot2011-12-28at31443PM.png

Close up of the fabric:
Screenshot2011-12-28at31451PM.png

And the union label, seriously anyone see this sort before?
Screenshot2011-12-28at31456PM.png

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Boy, do hangers have a deleterious effect on the shoulders of raglan sleeve coats. There's no getting rid of those unsightly bumps. I've taken to folding them in storage containers for off-season/long term storage.

britishcoatview2.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Another new overcoat: Nothing special, just a plain black wool coat by 'Alexandre'. Most likely late 1960s. No moth holes and just £4 from a charity shop in Croydon. Missing one button, but I found it hiding in the pocket:

newalexandrecoat.jpg

alexandrelabel.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
This is, without doubt, my new go to coat when I need one (and I often do.) The seller told me the coat was from the fifties, but I cannot really tell, the union label is... odd. I cannot find any reference to it, anyone know? It's a tweed with white flecks.

And the union label, seriously anyone see this sort before?
Screenshot2011-12-28at31456PM.png
Looks like the 1949-1968 style label.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The label says 'Alexandre of Oxford Street' and it has a Milium lining. I have always thought this was a 1950s coat (I know milium was popular at that time) but the Alexandre label looks earlier. Also, it belonged to my grandfather who worked in London during the 1930s but was unlikely to have been shopping in London later. Does anyone know when Alexandre was operating out of Oxford Street? I have seen later Alexandre labels , but they give a Savile Row address. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

miliumlabel.jpg

i have a 1940s DB overcoat with exactly that Alexandre label (not the West of England one above it). i suspect it was in use mid 30s to mid 50s, and i agree that your coat looks mid 50s.

(sorry for the slow response time to this question !)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
i have a 1940s DB overcoat with exactly that Alexandre label (not the West of England one above it). i suspect it was in use mid 30s to mid 50s, and i agree that your coat looks mid 50s.

(sorry for the slow response time to this question !)

Cheers. I was pretty certain it was mid-50s. Someone else suggested it was from the 1960s which I was able to rule out: my grandfather retired in about 1960 and there was no way he could have afforded a nice coat like this after that time.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
i've heard of Boss of the Road... they're big with workwear collectors. i don't think 1920 is improbable. looks to me to be around 1925. i don't have any idea what they mean by 'railroad' coat though.

Agreed. It could be mid 1920s to '30s.

I think the overcoat's price is related solely to its maker. My hunch is that some Japanese collector of all things "Boss of the Road"/"Standard" saw this particular overcoat and flipped out --probably because he he'd never come across one before and/or realized that it is very, very rare.

If you're a "Boss of the Road" (or "Sweet-Orr", or "Sunset") junkie, you want everything they made in your collection -- especially if it's hard to find.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn