Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The coat on the left recently sold for £20,400. The one on the right is one I sold last winter for less than a 100th of that.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...dinary-bout-bidding-fever-sweeps-auction.html
http://vintagehaberdashers.com/2012/05/23/1930s1940s-lapinlece-timme-tuft-stadium-coat-overcoat/

60768_373236142753635_122324562_n.jpg

Chowderhouse

One of the Regulars
What a couple of morons....

It's a fair bet that those two bidders know each other, hate each other, and like to hurt each other. For some reason, the coat auction was the fuse which lit them that day. Each man's goal was not to win the coat, but to make his rival win it -- at the highest cost possible. In other words, a game of 'chicken', except that the loser is the one who jumps out last.

In short, the unlucky winning bidder is the true loser. The other guy is laughing his hind off, because his pocketbook is 100% intact.

Last edited:

Chowderhouse

One of the Regulars
It could have been a soup can, for all they cared. The coat was a means, not an end. My hunch is that one guy placed the first bid in the hope that his 'enemy' would make a counter bid. The 'enemy' certainly did, and that's when they began to play the game of chicken.

By the way, this happens on eBay too.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The £20,000 moth-eaten 'Teddy Bear' coat is crazy! There was an almost perfect version for sale by 'Savvy Row' earlier this year. They had it priced at about £250, but couldn't find a buyer for months.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
003321_01.jpg

Just acquired this little beauty today and I absolutely love it! It's got panache to spare, it's toasty warm, lots of inside pockets, very very nice finishing details inside and out, and I got it brand new for only $174! The material is 80% wool, 20% nylon, presumably for water shedding properties, but you'd swear it was Harris Tweed to touch it. I especially love the black velvet contrast collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn