Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Fifty150

One Too Many
Surveillance clearly shows the thief approaching the vending machine, with a purposeful stride and malice aforethought. And he can clearly be seen balling up his fist to strike the machine's coin lock mechanism. Suspect last seen in a tan raincoat, tweed jacket, blue turtleneck, and carrying 6 Swanson's frozen dinners.

10414643_751986834859621_8806943339452430083_n.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-19 23.42.53.png

ErWeSa

Familiar Face
Just found this nice thread looking for a place where I could post some of my coats. I am sorry that the pictures are sideways - I don't know why this happened and hope that this is the right place to post them.

The coat in the first picture is in almost mint condition - must be some 100 years old. The one in the second picture is not in such a good shape - particularly the velvet collar is quite worn. Should have that fixed/fix it myself (have been thinking of doing this for ages meanwhile - bought some nice velvet for it long ago). This coat seems to be even older than the first one and was made by the Viennese tailor F(ritz). Jungwirth, Dreihackengasse 12, Wien 9. Next one is a British Aquascutum made of silk. The last one is a "heavy duty coat" for Austrian railroad-men, worn in winter time when this time of the year still was really cold. It can be closed tight at the neck with hook and eye.

Then there are some tan Burberry's, single and double breasted and one single breasted one in blue - nothing special and still quite common so I didn't take pictures of these.

All the coats (but for the blue Burberry's) came from flea markets for very little money - in the 1990s people obviously didn't care for quality and gave all these beauties away (and I am sure more even threw them away to save the "work" to bring them to the parishes who organized most of the flea markets I used to go to then).

EDIT: just saw that the order the pictures were in was changed, too - sorry! You will know thich coat is which.

Attachments

• 20240410_180314.jpg
    20240410_180314.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240410_180300.jpg
    20240410_180300.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240410_180229.jpg
    20240410_180229.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240410_174230.jpg
    20240410_174230.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240410_174222.jpg
    20240410_174222.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240410_174201.jpg
    20240410_174201.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240410_173413.jpg
    20240410_173413.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240410_173325.jpg
    20240410_173325.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240410_171202.jpg
    20240410_171202.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
this coat has too many pockets!

View attachment 393124

Interesting look - I've never seen one like it before. I wonder was it a special order, or just an unusual OTR?

From a practical pov, I could see it making sense for a man who spent a lot of time out of doors in very cold weather, and wanted access to certain things (wallet, keys, notebook, pen?) out of doors on a regular basis, without having to open up his coat and let in the chill.

I've been wearing this one all Winter:

1712767662970.jpeg

It's a dress uniform greatcoat as worn by the British Guards Regiments in cold weather. Mine came via eBay, and was (by the buttons, the only thing that differs with regiment) worn by a member of the Scots Guards. Having rather aged past the days when I would regularly be seen sporting military dress tunics atop my bondage trousers, I slipped off all those button and spent a Sunday afternoon last October sewing on some nicer, much more subtle, civilian buttons, with a waxed red thread for a touch of flourish. The coat proved very welcome across the cold days in Paris, London, and against the biting winds and rain of my first trip to the Old Country for my mother's birthday last November. Hanging on the back of the door currently, it now needs carefully stowed away for the Summer.

The design is probably not much changed since the late Victorian era; I love the swoop it has. It certainly also served me well travelling to and from graduation ceremonies in one of my kilts in January.

Photos were taken on the morning of 14th February past, on what we didn't then know was to be our beloved Mimi's last long walk. (The little lady passed in her sleep at the age of approx 14, closing in on 15 in the early hours of the 16th). At some point I must get some shots with her successor in the role of Hound of the Marlowes, young master Bertrand Russell 'Bertie' Marlowe.

Backdrop is the Cable Street Mural, just off Cable Street, where in 1936 the East End turned out to prevent the London Police forcing through a march of Oswald Moseley's British Union of Fascists, occasioning a riot, in which the police and the fascists were soundly driven back. This event ultimately led to the still in force legislation which banned the wearing of political uniforms in the UK. The front of the same building carries a plaque commemorating locals who joined the International Brigades fighting against Franco that same year.

1712768413470.jpeg

As can be seen here, the sleeves are perhaps an inch or two longer than would be absolutely *perfect* on me. I did consider having them shortened, but that would have very quickly started to eat into the whole point of buying a military surplus overcoat - i.e. to have something suitable for the Winter at as low a price as possible. In the end, when the coldest weather hit I actually found it very welcome that I could slip my hands up inside against the elements!

ErWeSa

Familiar Face

Attachments

• 20240410_193354[1].jpg
    20240410_193354[1].jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240410_193336[1].jpg
    20240410_193336[1].jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15

Edward

Bartender
In the booklet from the early 1950s I have this coat is called "Sportulster" (fig. b) and doesn't seem to have been particularly rare. Sorry for the pictures which are sideways again!

The 'Sport' prefix would certainly suggest practical outdoorsy usage... perhaps for the groundsman / gamekeeper / anyone with a need for extra pockets for dog-biscuits and shotgun shells while outside for long periods? hunting is, of course, much more practical and comes without the class-signifiers in the US, but one would presume actual wild hunting as distinct from "country sports" would occasion the need of a different style of wardrobe? I'm not up on where this would fit in in the German speaking countries, though.

Edward

Bartender

Of the lot this is my favourite. I wonder how old it was at that point - looks like a late 40s / early 50s design; certainly conceivable he could have bought it new then and still been wearing it in the 80s if it was something for 'occasional wear' rather than worn hard all Winter for a number of years.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Interesting look - I've never seen one like it before. I wonder was it a special order, or just an unusual OTR?

From a practical pov, I could see it making sense for a man who spent a lot of time out of doors in very cold weather, and wanted access to certain things (wallet, keys, notebook, pen?) out of doors on a regular basis, without having to open up his coat and let in the chill.

I've been wearing this one all Winter:

View attachment 605772

It's a dress uniform greatcoat as worn by the British Guards Regiments in cold weather. Mine came via eBay, and was (by the buttons, the only thing that differs with regiment) worn by a member of the Scots Guards. Having rather aged past the days when I would regularly be seen sporting military dress tunics atop my bondage trousers, I slipped off all those button and spent a Sunday afternoon last October sewing on some nicer, much more subtle, civilian buttons, with a waxed red thread for a touch of flourish. The coat proved very welcome across the cold days in Paris, London, and against the biting winds and rain of my first trip to the Old Country for my mother's birthday last November. Hanging on the back of the door currently, it now needs carefully stowed away for the Summer.

The design is probably not much changed since the late Victorian era; I love the swoop it has. It certainly also served me well travelling to and from graduation ceremonies in one of my kilts in January.

Photos were taken on the morning of 14th February past, on what we didn't then know was to be our beloved Mimi's last long walk. (The little lady passed in her sleep at the age of approx 14, closing in on 15 in the early hours of the 16th). At some point I must get some shots with her successor in the role of Hound of the Marlowes, young master Bertrand Russell 'Bertie' Marlowe.

Backdrop is the Cable Street Mural, just off Cable Street, where in 1936 the East End turned out to prevent the London Police forcing through a march of Oswald Moseley's British Union of Fascists, occasioning a riot, in which the police and the fascists were soundly driven back. This event ultimately led to the still in force legislation which banned the wearing of political uniforms in the UK. The front of the same building carries a plaque commemorating locals who joined the International Brigades fighting against Franco that same year.

View attachment 605778

As can be seen here, the sleeves are perhaps an inch or two longer than would be absolutely *perfect* on me. I did consider having them shortened, but that would have very quickly started to eat into the whole point of buying a military surplus overcoat - i.e. to have something suitable for the Winter at as low a price as possible. In the end, when the coldest weather hit I actually found it very welcome that I could slip my hands up inside against the elements!
edward.jpeg
The is an enviable greatcoat Edward. Every time I find that one of that style it's always too small. My lady to the rescue. She has a future project:
greatcoat.jpg

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 605945
The is an enviable greatcoat Edward. Every time I find that one of that style it's always too small. My lady to the rescue. She has a future project:
View attachment 605946

Looks like a great pattern. I love the length especially - great flare as you walk along when worn open, and really keeps the warm air in when worn closed. Just have to be careful with stairs. Specifically, I've found mine's fine going down stairs, but going up you have to be careful not to stand on your own coattails. I often hold it up with both hands, or just take the lift on the way up. no problem going down stairs, though!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a great pattern. I love the length especially - great flare as you walk along when worn open, and really keeps the warm air in when worn closed. Just have to be careful with stairs. Specifically, I've found mine's fine going down stairs, but going up you have to be careful not to stand on your own coattails. I often hold it up with both hands, or just take the lift on the way up. no problem going down stairs, though!
Your quip about the stairs resonated Edward, I have to lift my baggy trousers in much the same way in order to avoid tripping up.
It is, as you say, a great pattern, although I would prefer it with the collar matching the coat rather than the fur collar shown in the photo. In the meantime I came across this fine looking coat.
Brown-Coat.jpg Brown-Coat1.jpg
The pleated detail at the back is very appealing but
the colour of the coat is not for me. I much prefer the
military style air force blue of your rather grand coat.

Edward

Bartender
Your quip about the stairs resonated Edward, I have to lift my baggy trousers in much the same way in order to avoid tripping up.
It is, as you say, a great pattern, although I would prefer it with the collar matching the coat rather than the fur collar shown in the photo. In the meantime I came across this fine looking coat.
View attachment 606453 View attachment 606455
The pleated detail at the back is very appealing but
the colour of the coat is not for me. I much prefer the
military style air force blue of your rather grand coat.

This reminds me a lot of the one David Tennant wore during his first run as Doctor Who! Would look great with a darker brown db suit, or earthtoned tweeds...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It was advertised as being made to measure. Maybe someone took a photo or video of David Tennant, in the Dr. Who role, and asked a tailor to make one like it. I did something similar having a suit with wide lapels made for my wedding, copied from a photo, the subject of whom is lost in the mists of time.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up

I've got one of those and yeah it's a beastie. Mine is a bit snug now around my midsection, for some unknown reason. I got lucky and got one that was slashed by a supply sergeant (which most have been) but only under one of the shoulder straps so it doesn't affect the appearance or wearability of the coat. Mine has a shadow on the lower sleeve where a senior NCO's badge had been removed, and there's a wear spot under the left armpit where a pacing stick was habitually held. An excellent garment. Nicer and more practical than the officer's coats, despite the extra flair of the latter's double-breasted styling.

I also have one of those big red sleeved capes/greatcoats worn by the Household Cav, but that's a different animal.

Edward

Bartender
I've got one of those and yeah it's a beastie. Mine is a bit snug now around my midsection, for some unknown reason. I got lucky and got one that was slashed by a supply sergeant (which most have been) but only under one of the shoulder straps so it doesn't affect the appearance or wearability of the coat. Mine has a shadow on the lower sleeve where a senior NCO's badge had been removed, and there's a wear spot under the left armpit where a pacing stick was habitually held. An excellent garment. Nicer and more practical than the officer's coats, despite the extra flair of the latter's double-breasted styling.

I also have one of those big red sleeved capes/greatcoats worn by the Household Cav, but that's a different animal.

The only damage mine came with was the lining of one of the sleeves cut in half, no damage to the shell, though. That fortunately was easily sorted - I just had my dry cleaner reline the sleeve. Otherwise not sure whether it had been worn. I know unissued they come without the buttons attached (I did buy one in that state years ago, but grew out of it), but I'm guessing some of them must get issued, have buttons attached, and then not get worn much or at all... I'm very much a fan of DB, but there's something about this SB version, maybe it's the cut, but it almost feels more like a sleeved cloak... I like how, fully buttoned, it also has a bit of an Uncle Fester look to it. Doubtless that will be put into use some Halloween...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner