Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your OVERCOATS

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are my two latest winter overcoats:

A very heavy green wool overcoat with a heavy pile on a herringbone weave:
Sydney-Heath-1_zps9ba14f52.jpg

Sydney-Heath-2_zps11f63317.jpg

Sydney-Heath-3_zps5e03b0da.jpg

This is much more interesting. It's by Issac Walton, a British tailoring company. It has peaked lapels and raglan sleeves. It is very full on the body. The interior pockets are heavily slanted. I'm thinking it's 1920s. It was a bargain at £20 from ebay. It was advertised as being perfect for Volkssturm re-enactors!!! Why they thought it was a good idea to suggest a 1920s British overcoat was ideal for dressing up as the German equivalent of 'The Home Guard' is beyond my understanding. I hadn't spotte dthe advert but it was thanks to Baron Kurtz that I discovered it. Cheers.
1920s-1_zps295b44e8.jpg

1920s-4_zpse0c3c24c.jpg

1920s-2_zps5a715c27.jpg

With regard to the date of the coat, the coat on the right of the following 1931 advert has raglan sleeves and a similar lapel shape:
1931b_zpsdc94c2e4.jpg

And this 1923 coat has a similar shape and similar lapels (but no raglan sleeves):
1927b_zps849ba654.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, a very difficult coat to date as there are lots of similarities between 20s coats and late 50s-mid 60s coats.

the label, lining, pocket linings, buttons and other small details might be the deciding factor in dating it.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
TT, although I have handled only a few 1920s garments I believe that the nap of the fabric and general feel of it is a good indicator of 1920s (including, I guess, early-mid 30s) fabrics versus more recent fabrics, of course only in addition to the factors that HBK mentioned. I agree with HBK that the cut is too generic for dating purposes.
The fabric on your coat looks early to me; the heathered cloth seems to have a short, very dry nap, if dry is the word I want.

I'm not saying that 20s fabrics are always so special as to make them recognizable as such, but some of the 20s fabrics I've seen have a nap and feel unlike anything I've handled in later fabrics.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I did mean to post the label but accidentally missed it out:
1920s-3_zps0fdc395c.jpg

One of the reasons I thought it was early is that the fit is very different to later period raglan sleeve overcoats I have owned. On this one the shoulders are much narrower whilst the coat has a greater flare to it. 1950s raglan sleeve coats are usually more generous on the shoulders and the cut of the body is like a tube.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman: They are fantastic. The Alpaca is a wonderfully stylish coat. And the fur lined coat is amazing (although it would be far too warm to wear here in the UK these days). If that fur lining was detachable it would be pretty much my dream coat.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
true TT even up here in North Derbyshire on the edge of the Peak District it's rarely really cold and the last two Christmas days we've had little flies hatching out it's been that warm! hoping it's going to be a bit cooler this year as the ginger tweed number is being worn!
cracking coats guys by the way...the WIS-GAR-CO is a peach!

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
The union label is nearly unreadable on this handsome heavy overcoat so I can't tell if it says 1936 or 1939 but I'm thinking it is from the 1940s. Please can someone tell me the purpose of the ribbon-like strap on the inner chest area? It is only sewn down on each end. Thanks!

P1080367.jpg P1080360.JPG P1080361.JPG navyovercoat1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24