Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jacketandskirt.jpg

This is a suit I just finished from a vintage pattern I got. Its SO Sunday Morning! Now all I need are some pearls, white gloves, a nice blouse, black flats purse and hat. :)

LD

magneto

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
This is a suit I just finished from a vintage pattern I got. Its SO Sunday Morning! Now all I need are some pearls, white gloves, a nice blouse, black flats purse and hat. :)

LD

What a great summer suit! I love the collar and that shade of green.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi and happy 4th of July to everybody that does that! Hope you had a wonderful time. Here's my most bizarre purchase to date. I've only posted the box because the contents just photograph like dish rags. If anybody's really keen I will post the dish rags. I'd be really interested to know if anybody has used this type of thing. I keep taking it out the box but put it back because I don't make pastry very often and I think it will just go to mould. Anyway, inside is a cotton type cloth. You are supposed to coat it liberally with flour and roll it in with your rolling pin, which is encased in the cover (also supplied). The idea is that with use the flour cakes the cloth and pin cover and so in the long run you use less flour (rolling both items up in brown grease paper to preserve them till next time) and the pastry is also supposed to be better. Erm, anybody know if this actually works!

pastrycloth.jpg

colleency

One of the Regulars
Caledonia said:
I'd be really interested to know if anybody has used this type of thing. You are supposed to coat it liberally with flour and roll it in with your rolling pin, which is encased in the cover (also supplied). The idea is that with use the flour cakes the cloth and pin cover and so in the long run you use less flour (rolling both items up in brown grease paper to preserve them till next time) and the pastry is also supposed to be better. Erm, anybody know if this actually works!

They sell those here in modern stores. I *think* I may have used one a long time ago, and I *think* it worked, but for me it was just more stuff to have to keep track of. Once you've practiced with pie crust a lot, you really don't need something like that to keep it from sticking. You can look at the piecrust and tell if it needs more flour, etc.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Ah, that's what I thought. I think I might just keep it for posterity. I make pastry about twice a year, and saving a flour ridden cloth for that long, well, yech!

Etienne

A-List Customer
I have a really good rolling pin with ball bearings that my folks gave me ages ago. It came with the stockingette cover and I have used it many times. But now I prefer to just roll out pastry dough without it--less trouble, for one thing, and as I have gotten more proficient with making pasty, less necessary!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Finally figured out how to post images

:rolleyes: Took me this long! Here are some things I recently got from ebay:
New old stock silk blouse:
40sblouse.jpg

Sam & Libby wedgies (repros)
wedgies.bmp

Fun wool dress with bolero:
greendress.jpg

Caledonia

Practically Family
Love all three items, but shoes are always a winner. They are very covetable! I adore the dress with bolero look. Good purchase!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap Bella, great blouse! I love the colors, print....everything!:D
lady day, that's a great outfit also..btw: how long did it take you to learn to sew? I finally got my first sewing machine a week ago, still haven't gotten around to actually using it yet :rolleyes: :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
mysterygal said:
:eusa_clap lady day, that's a great outfit also..btw: how long did it take you to learn to sew? I finally got my first sewing machine a week ago, still haven't gotten around to actually using it yet :rolleyes: :)

Thanks,
My mother was a profesional seamstress, so I picked up tips and tricks from her. Altho she never really taught me how to sew, she made a lot of my clothes when I was younger and Id always have to come into her sewing room to try things on every twenty minutes so Id see a lot of stuff going on. :)

If you can sew a straitght stitch, and just double fold your seams (to prevent fraying) then youll be in tip top shape in less than ten minutes.
Those skirts I sewed took me less than 3 hours each. They are basic 6 pannel skirts. The most involved part to sew was the hem, and sewing in the zipper :)

Good luck, and just create a thread if you need sewing tips.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Jitterbugdoll, those shoes, particularly the polka dot ones are TOO CUTE! I really like your romper too. I was thinking of making a dress like the one on the mannequin, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav