Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
decodoll said:
All of your purchases are wonderful!!

That hat, Lauren, is gorgeous!!!

Tickeration, I'd love to see a picture of your tree all done up.

Vanessa, I love the bottom McCall pattern!

Lizzie, All your finds are super cute!

Here is a picture of one of my latest purchases :) :
dressing_gown.jpg

Deco Doll--that is spectacular. Simply spectacular.

maisie

Practically Family
65_12_sb1.jpg
41_12_sb1.jpg
f0_12_sb1.jpg

I got this set in the post today it is so lovely! Apparantly the lady who owned it was a pilots wife, and was very tall at 5'10" which is great which means its long enough!:D
I'm hoping to wear it with a black skirt from one of my suits, but i could also wear it with black swing pants or a long black skirt to make it in to a evening outfit!!:D

Caledonia

Practically Family
Love it Maisie! And the other new purchases from everybody. Spectacular. I'm going to have a photofest tonight and get some more pics for posting, but meanwhile a quick question. Got a blue worsted suit with beaded shoulders from my mother-in-law who found it in a charity shop. Maker, Remaur, and I think that's British. Anybody heard of them? I'm trying to date the suit and it could be 48-50 given the lack of skirt lining, side metal zip, very, very nipped in waist (and strengthened to that effect too, but not the virtual corset of Dior), sloping shoulder rather than military, and the beading. But then again, it could be a dire late 70's early 80s. The Remaur label looks older though but they're not coming up on google for me to find out when they were about. I'll try and get a picture that works. Oh the other thing. The skirt is bizarre. The front panel is narrower than the back panel. Lay the skirt out flat and the side seams lie about an 1 in towards the front. For a lady of more ample rear proportions perhaps?

Vanessa

One Too Many
Continuing on in my quest to not carry a purse, I picked this up on ebay last week. It's about 2.5 inches wide, maybe 4 inches long when folded up and has two loops that connect onto the button of your garter and it sits against leg inside the top of your stocking.

hideaway.jpg

hideaway2.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Lovely find, Maisie!

The front panel is narrower than the back panel. Lay the skirt out flat and the side seams lie about an 1 in towards the front. For a lady of more ample rear proportions perhaps?

That style of skirt often creates a back that is longer then the front, or gives the skirt an almost trumpet appearance. I've seen it used in modern bridal wear to create a sweep train without altering the narrowness of the skirt.

Metal zippers generally indicate a garment is pre-1960 (though this isn't a sure way to date age, of course.)

Vanessa--those are quite handy items! I watched a number of women attempt to dance while holding on to their purses at a show last week--needless to say that doesn't work very well :)

Rosie

One Too Many
Vanessa said:
Continuing on in my quest to not carry a purse, I picked this up on ebay last week. It's about 2.5 inches wide, maybe 4 inches long when folded up and has two loops that connect onto the button of your garter and it sits against leg inside the top of your stocking.

hideaway.jpg

hideaway2.jpg

My mom was telling me about these. She said she wore one when she would go dancing when she was younger, I think she got it from her mom but lost it or threw it away or something. Neat to see it here.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That's cool! I love it!

I got my hat in the mail from Deco Doll yesterday. It's AMAZING and sooo soft. My kitty likes it too, as this morning I found it on the floor with the feather next to it (darn cats). lol but the feather was unharmed so I put it right back in place- poor kitty thought he was a lion or something and has a dreadful feather addiction. I'll try to post pics when I set my hair and all!

waingirl

One of the Regulars
64_1_b.jpg
18_2.jpg

Recent purchases thanks to Ebay. I hope to make the blue one on the right for my sister as a bridesmaids dress for my wedding next year. We'll see how it goes.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Vanessa, that garter purse is great. I saw a 50s bra version recently. Same idea but attached to a convenient place on your strap, I guess to sit under your arm possibly. And that dress is gorgeous Waingirl. Here's the jacket of the suit I was talking about.

jacket.jpg

jacketbeading.jpg

jacketlabel.jpg

And you can see the emphasised waist curve in this one. The more I study it the more I think 48/49.

jacketcurve.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
That's cool! I love it!

I got my hat in the mail from Deco Doll yesterday. It's AMAZING and sooo soft. My kitty likes it too, as this morning I found it on the floor with the feather next to it (darn cats). lol but the feather was unharmed so I put it right back in place- poor kitty thought he was a lion or something and has a dreadful feather addiction. I'll try to post pics when I set my hair and all!

Oh good, I'm glad to hear it got to you and that you like it. :) Cats do like feathers. I always have to make sure I put everything out of their reach when I'm finished working. I can't wait to see a picture of you in it!

maisie

Practically Family
Caledonia said:
Vanessa, that garter purse is great. I saw a 50s bra version recently. Same idea but attached to a convenient place on your strap, I guess to sit under your arm possibly. And that dress is gorgeous Waingirl. Here's the jacket of the suit I was talking about.

jacket.jpg

jacketbeading.jpg

jacketlabel.jpg

And you can see the emphasised waist curve in this one. The more I study it the more I think 48/49.

jacketcurve.jpg

I'm thinking its more late 50's maybe 60's, especially if its British, as clothing was still rations till the beginning of the 50's so this much beading probably wounld have been allowed till later, and probably not thelate 40's like in the US.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Thanks Maisie. You could be right about the 50s. Checked my patterns and books and the nipped in waist was still going on well into the mid-50s. By the end and into the 60s though the lines were getting quite boxy. Not sure how much beading was rationed, but you've sparked my interest. Will check it out. Already got plans to make it a definite circa 50s look! :)

And that is lovely RMS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats