Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Etienne

A-List Customer
JitterbugDoll and DecoDoll, where DO you find such cute shoes?? Do you ever see them in size 9's?? Really, really pretty shoes, ladies!! BTW, I saw some vintage looking shoes at Urban Outfitters the other day--very cute!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I find most of mine on eBay. I have found them in local shops, but you usually find a much larger size selection on the Web!

It's taken me about four years to build up my collection though; I have about 30 pairs or so of 1940s-50s shoes.

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks, Etienne! Most of mine are from ebay and this woman that had a huge stock of deadstock shoes from the 30's and 40's that used to come to the Vintage and Deco sales. She had tons...she must have bought a whole warehouse or store full at some point. I do see larger sizes now and again on ebay. I'll pm you if I see anything particularly cute in a size 9. :) A size 9 would be 10 1/2 inches heel to toe, right?

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Here's my most recent purchase:

wht1.jpg
wht4.jpg

Caledonia--I searched for the designer of the your new suit--didn't turn up anything, but the search did produce a number of French Web sites. Perhaps it's a French piece?

Those are quite cute, Jitterbugdoll!! I've been looking for a cute pair of solid white or cream 40's heels. I have some 30's white granny heels, but they only really work with earlier 30's styles for some reason. I just got my new 40's reptile heels in the mail today and they fit perfectly! Yay! :D

Here they are again. :D

17_12.JPG

maisie

Practically Family
I got my pair of Remix wedges through today, and i'm so, so pleased with them! I got exactly the right size, leather is so soft and the padded soles and colour is great!! And the best part is i got them off the seller on ebay who had a batch of them and manged to get this pair for around $45!!!!

http://www.remixvintageshoes.com/red104.html

Etienne

A-List Customer
Thanks, DecoDoll! Yes, I need about 10 1/4 to 10 1/2 inches. Oddly enough, I wear a 9 in any shoes with a high heel, an 8 1/2 in shoes with a lower heel, and usually an 8 in open-toe flats or sandals. Groan...!

maisie

Practically Family
Be careful of widths in vintage shoes though and make sure you always get the measurements as sometimes it can be so annoying when shoes arrive that are just too small!:rage:

Caledonia

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Here's my most recent purchase:

wht1.jpg
wht4.jpg

Caledonia--I searched for the designer of the your new suit--didn't turn up anything, but the search did produce a number of French Web sites. Perhaps it's a French piece?

Thanks Jitterbug. I'm not turning up anything else either. I'm as sure as my gut tells me it's British. But when???? No matter, I've got a few adjustments in the off-ing which will make it a vintage "retro, repro" kind of. lol

Caledonia

Practically Family
Oh, and I forgot to add, like it needed saying :rolleyes: the shoes are to die for (or is that to kill for - I'm aware I'm developing a murderous tendency in the powder room :rage: :rage: :mad: :D :D :D :D Kiiiidiiiiinnnng!!).

And Decodoll. Yes. I'd put 10.5 inches at a 9, but yeeesh, variable. I bought a late 40s size 9 evening sandal and it is about 0.5 inches too big. I think I take an 8.5 US modern (I think) and it should only have been about 0.25 inches too big. But what the hey! An insole, a strap tightening, and a quick toe curl, and it's on! lol

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
uuuuhhhh.... cute shoes all the way!!!!! :eusa_clap

Here is my last prchase for about 4 weeks now (promised my boyfriend to make a break)- A custom made tap-pant. I´ll take it in black with a white-lining. Not bright white, but a eggshell-white.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked up a pair of NOS 1940's wedgies at Bobby From Boston's just last weekend - they were only $50 and he had two pairs in size 9. I am contemplating going back and buying the second pair. They look exactly like the Remix Gloria Open Toe Sling Wedge minus the clip-on bow but they're authentic vintage which is much better. They are SO COMFY!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Lovely dress, CherryRed!

Bella, I would pick them up--that's a good price and you'll get plenty of use out of them (even if they are the same color--it's good to have a backup pair.)

I was reading a 1946 magazine today and saw an ad with a model who was wearing a pair of wedges that looked exactly like Remix's Gloria.

Miss_Bella_Hell

jitterbugdoll said:
Lovely dress, CherryRed!

Bella, I would pick them up--that's a good price and you'll get plenty of use out of them (even if they are the same color--it's good to have a backup pair.)

I was reading a 1946 magazine today and saw an ad with a model who was wearing a pair of wedges that looked exactly like Remix's Gloria.

Yes, I think I will - and Bobby said he had a lot more 40's shoes coming in by the end of this week anyway, so I will be heading up there. As it is I won't wear the wedgies if I have to walk for too long on asphalt - don't want to ruin the leather bottoms! Incidentally, they are by Vogue.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
As it is I won't wear the wedgies if I have to walk for too long on asphalt - don't want to ruin the leather bottoms!

I have had my favorite pairs resoled on a number of occasions (plus, some pairs need a little extra TLC before you can wear them.) I roll my feet outward when I walk and tend to wear down the heels on the outside edge only, so those get replaced on a regular basis, too (it's all about proper care :))

Miss_Bella_Hell

jitterbugdoll said:
I have had my favorite pairs resoled on a number of occasions (plus, some pairs need a little extra TLC before you can wear them.) I roll my feet outward when I walk and tend to wear down the heels on the outside edge only, so those get replaced on a regular basis, too (it's all about proper care :))

I resole my favorites too, but there's nothing wrong with prolonging the inevitable! :)

decodoll

Practically Family
Almost all of my vintage shoes have been resoled. As soon as I start to get some wear to the leather soles, I have it done so I don't run the risk of it going too far and effecting the front toes or heels of the shoes.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Almost all of my vintage shoes have been resoled. As soon as I start to get some wear to the leather soles, I have it done so I don't run the risk of it going too far and effecting the front toes or heels of the shoes.

Yeah, most of mine seem to wear down very quickly, regardless of the surface I walk on. It's nice when you come across pairs that have metal heel and toe taps, which were designed to reduce wear.

ladyk

Familiar Face
jitterbugdoll said:
Yeah, most of mine seem to wear down very quickly, regardless of the surface I walk on. It's nice when you come across pairs that have metal heel and toe taps, which were designed to reduce wear.

I just bought a pair with taps, and since I wear my shoes down on the outside too they are a godsend. Plus they are the comfiest shoes I have ever worn. My feet are not happy when I try to put them into my modern repros...

xx

Caledonia

Practically Family
Mhmm, yes, taps are great. A few of mine have that. I've also done the re-sole bit before the first wearing. Just had an decision disaster today though. Pair of old deadstock 40s. Oiled and soaped, but still managed to tear me to blisters because they're so "unbroken". Should have worn socks.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats