Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
ON the note of a white belt, surfacing in the ranks of comments here.....hey, I do one one....but it is a elastic weaved belt, that sports light brown leather on both the buckle and "hole" ends for fastening it. It is not too bright a white, and really how else can you get your light blue pants to stay up with not wearing a small token to Pat Boone? Now if you are wearing bright white shoes, and light colored trousers and jacket, if you go with any wider white belts (not tossing out any patent leather in this decor), you then acquire the Paul Lund party look.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
IMG_7503.jpg

IMG_7493.jpg

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Iish, The quality and condition of the shoes you find are just amazing! Most of the 1930s/1940s spectator shoes that go up on ebay are pretty worn and the one's you find are almost prestine. Congrats!

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I've got little issue with my Weyenberg Massagics that I posted here a while back. It's not that serious, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get expert advice.

Three very small cracks have appeared on the rear of the shoes, one on the left shoe and two on the right. They possibly arose from my reckless and stupid attempt to hurriedly put them on without a shoehorn in the dressing room at Macy's.
IMGP1228.jpg IMGP1232.jpg
Putting the shoes on or taking them off doesn't seem to cause the cracks to get any worse, and that part of the shoes doesn't see much action when I walk. I've taken very good care of the shoes, kept them on shoe trees and conditioned them frequently with more than one type of conditioner. The rest of the shoes are in excellent condition.

Is this sort of thing normal or to be expected with vintage shoes? What, if anything should I do about it? These are my favorite pair of shoes and presently my only pair of vintage shoes, so I'd hate to ruin them with my own ignorance.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I've got little issue with my Weyenberg Massagics that I posted here a while back. It's not that serious, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get expert advice.

Three very small cracks have appeared on the rear of the shoes, one on the left shoe and two on the right. They possibly arose from my reckless and stupid attempt to hurriedly put them on without a shoehorn in the dressing room at Macy's.
View attachment 2508 View attachment 2509
Putting the shoes on or taking them off doesn't seem to cause the cracks to get any worse, and that part of the shoes doesn't see much action when I walk. I've taken very good care of the shoes, kept them on shoe trees and conditioned them frequently with more than one type of conditioner. The rest of the shoes are in excellent condition.

Is this sort of thing normal or to be expected with vintage shoes? What, if anything should I do about it? These are my favorite pair of shoes and presently my only pair of vintage shoes, so I'd hate to ruin them with my own ignorance.

Best advice I can muster up for you, is to soak those shoes with some leather conditioner, not just rub some on that area of the shoe, but soak them. Thin conditioner (Cadillac) take a bottle of it, pour it in the shoes, elevate the shoes "toes up" and "heels down" so that a pool of the conditioner sits as much as possible on that area of the shoes. I would do that for several days in a row, not wearing the shoes but soaking them. Apply the same thin conditioner on the outsides as well. The last day you soak them, rub the conditioner on that area with your finger, but be a bit gentle to just work the conditioner in a bit. Let them sit a day or so after you condition them before you use a rag to wipe any excess conditioner off the inside before you wear the shoes again. A split in the leather as small as what you have is not too bad, as long as the inside heel counter is not fractured.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Thin conditioner (Cadillac) take a bottle of it, pour it in the shoes, elevate the shoes "toes up" and "heels down" so that a pool of the conditioner sits as much as possible on that area of the shoes.

I don't know how I could pour leather conditioner in the shoe and it get on those spots without pouring out, especially the right shoe, since the splits are exclusively on the outside of the shoe.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 2508 View attachment 2509

You are not Robinson Crusoe on making that mistake! Do what LMH2 suggests but the back up is to line the inner heel cup with a thin leather membrane and overstitch the membrane on the existing outside heel thread to disguise the fix.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
This look alright?

IMGP1238.jpg

The conditioner I use is "Leather Saver" from Talas, which is made for antique book covers, but it seems to work great for shoes and sweatbands.

EDIT: After this soaked in/evaporated, I gave the shoes a thick all-around coat of conditioner and wrapped the affected areas with conditioner soaked paper towels in hopes of keeping the conditioner on those areas for longer, though I don't know if it'll help.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Anyone ever had a pair of Allen Edmonds re-crafted?

These brown cap toes have been staples of both my business and leisure (i.e., vintage) wardrobe for about five years. I use shoe trees and regularly apply shoe cream and polish. Yet years of multiple wearings per week, tons of walking, and lots of (mis)adventure on the S.F. Municipal Rallway had them looking a bit rundown. I sent these to the Allen Edmonds factory in Wisconsin for re-crafting and they turned out looking as good as new!

Before:

After:

If you have a pair of old Allen Edmonds that you're think of replacing, I'd definitely recommend sending them in for re-crafting. The cost is significantly less than a new pair.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
They did a great job. Just goes to show the value of buying from a maker who offers a refurbishment service. These brands are usually on the pricey side but they pay off in the final analysis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara