Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Out of interest, what do they charge for refurbishment? The company I get my shoes from (Joseph Cheaney) used to charge £35 about four or five years ago. They now charge nearly £100. It's still worthwhile, but it just seems so expensive compared to the old price.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
What does arefurbishment consist of? Just new soles, or new inners as well? Is it a complete rebuild?

This is from the Cheaney website:

"On arrival, the shoes are carefully assessed and placed on the original lasts. The soles and heels are removed, along with the welts and, if necessary, insoles.

With skill and care, our craftsmen rebuild the shoe, using genuine components and reconstruct it to its original specifications. It takes around six working weeks to refurbish a pair of Cheaney shoes undergoing, as they do, many of the same process as when they were first made.

New leather or rubber soles are fitted and stitched, using the traditional Goodyear welted process or Veldtschoen construction where applicable, prior to the heel being attached.

Finally, the shoes are re-finished before being returned to you.

We are only able to accept shoes for refurbishment that have not been previously repaired elsewhere."
http://www.cheaney.co.uk/refurbishment.php

To be honest, reading that I realise that the price isn't too steep at all!

One of the semi-retired blokes from the factory, John (who has worked for them since the 1950s), does demonstrations of refurbishment down in London sometimes. I'll try to find out when he's next doing one and maybe we should go along. The demonstrations are supposed to be a good way of getting a fuller understanding of shoe construction.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Hmm I'd be tempted TT if I wasn't off on jollydays next week!.......Here's a recent find of mine;
i3yu7c.jpg
2s16ob5.jpg

112er2u.jpg
taq3bm.jpg

2qx2a6r.jpg

They don't really need much if anything at all doing though I might get rubber heels put on?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Out of interest, what do they charge for refurbishment? The company I get my shoes from (Joseph Cheaney) used to charge £35 about four or five years ago. They now charge nearly £100. It's still worthwhile, but it just seems so expensive compared to the old price.

The prices from Allen Edmonds range from $50 for replacing the heels to $125 for "complete recrafting" and $150 for the "Prestige Package."

Re-crafting consists of the following:

- Replace Soles
- Replace Heels
- Replace Welting
- Replace Cork layer under insoles
- Replace Laces
- Refinish the Uppers

If you opt for the $150 option, they also do more hand finishing/polishing once the refinishing is done and send you new cedar shoe trees, flannel shoe bags, and include an assortment of shoe care products.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I might do that once on a higher end Edmonds but if you do it twice, you end up paying for a brand new pair of shoes. :p

Actually, the third time would be the one to do it, unless you're talking sale prices. I've heard of people scoring lightly worn AEs at thrift stores for a few bucks then sending them in for recrafting. That way the end up with a essentially new pair $160-175.

Actually, the third time would be the one to do it, unless you're talking sale prices. I've heard of people scoring lightly worn AEs at thrift stores for a few bucks then sending them in for recrafting. That way the end up with a essentially new pair $160-175.
You can get a pair for under $300. $150 twice is more than a new pair. :p I already got a pair for $10 and had my local cobbler do the same stuff for only $85---way ahead of the game there. :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
. I believe that they won't refurbish the shoes when someone puts nails in the heels.
Yep and some makers have a set number of times they will refurbish a pair while others will reject a pair if the leather uppers are too worn or cracking; as EG did to a pair of mine on the fourth go around.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My local cobbler will and has refurbished anything. :p I really should have bought a new pair of boots but those were comfortable. :p
Yeah, I had my cobbler (who is considered to be one of the best in the US) resole them using a generic last. He did an excellent job but the results would have been much better had he had acsess to the original lasts. There's really no comparison between the two.

Yeah, I had my cobbler (who is considered to be one of the best in the US) resole them using a generic last. He did an excellent job but the results would have been much better had he had acsess to the original lasts. There's really no comparison between the two.
I'll take the cobbler. I can't tell the difference aside from the brand name on the sole.....

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've had one pair of boots re-soled three times by Joseph Cheaney. Even with the price of the original purchase (from the factory), it has still been cheaper than replacing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters