Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
1940’s 50s’s Mexican-Weave Oxfords. Size 8E

Here is a wonderful type of casual shoe that is relatively hard to find. Mexican-weaved shoes were available in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. They may have been available before and after those decades but I do not know as that goes beyond my area of interest. Anyone? I am guessing these ones date to the late 40’s or early 50’s. I have included advertisements from 1940, 1942 and 1953, just to give you an idea of variations throughout the years. Anyone have a pair to share?
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg
IMG_2611.jpg
IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2615.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg
53Sears.jpg
42Sears.jpg
40Sears.jpg

Trombone

Familiar Face
I have a pair of those shoes, modern made, that have a velcro strap to close with Crepe soles like the ones in the bottom ad. One tip with these shoes is, do NOT wear these if it is dusty or walking through sand because it will find its way into the shoe. But they are great shoes for the hot weather where if you were wearing dress socks and tight lased shoes your foot would be swimming in sweat. Have to find the camera for a pic, though

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I have a pair of those shoes, modern made, that have a velcro strap to close with Crepe soles like the ones in the bottom ad. One tip with these shoes is, do NOT wear these if it is dusty or walking through sand because it will find its way into the shoe. But they are great shoes for the hot weather where if you were wearing dress socks and tight lased shoes your foot would be swimming in sweat. Have to find the camera for a pic, though

I agree completely with not wearing them around dirt or sand. In fact, I think this is a good rule of thumb for any vintage shoes. I only wear my vintage pairs when I am absolutely positive that I will not be stepping through water, dirt or heavy gravel. Why take the chance?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
EXCELLENT contribution, friend! A rare vintage style, top condition, Great photography + the proper ads to put them in perspective. BRAVO!

Here is a wonderful type of casual shoe that is relatively hard to find. Mexican-weaved shoes were available in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. They may have been available before and after those decades but I do not know as that goes beyond my area of interest. Anyone? I am guessing these ones date to the late 40’s or early 50’s. I have included advertisements from 1940, 1942 and 1953, just to give you an idea of variations throughout the years. Anyone have a pair to share?
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg
IMG_2611.jpg
IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2615.jpg
IMG_2617.jpg
53Sears.jpg
42Sears.jpg
40Sears.jpg

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Are you keeping them? If not, that 8E is enticing!
Sorry, they are my exact size! Glad you like them! They were NOS when I bought them a few years back and I have only worn them twice. I really hate to put wear on such a great vintage pair but I am only willing to wear them on rare occasions.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, they are my exact size! Glad you like them! They were NOS when I bought them a few years back and I have only worn them twice. I really hate to put wear on such a great vintage pair but I am only willing to wear them on rare occasions.

Shoes are meant to be worn even sparingly for classic vintage otherwise they just become members of the trophy cabinet to be admired from time to time. That, of course , has never happened in my case LOL!

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
THIS is the reason why you need AT LEAST 50 pairs of Great Vintage Shoes... no more waiting for "Special Occasions"!!!
I completely agree. Rotation, rotation, rotation! But... until I have 50 pairs of great vintage shoes in my closet (and believe me... I will), I don't want to wear out the ones I have. Unfortunately, vintage shoes (and clothing) are not appropriate for the work I do. So, I'm afraid that most of my vintage pieces are special occasion only... at least for the moment. ;)

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Got these 8 1/2(UK) Florsheim's recently, anyone got an idea when they were made? I think they are of recent manufacture but are in very good almost unworn condition though they have'nt been stored to well as heel areas are a little mishapen, having said that they were cheap enough;
nxjgcx.jpg
1fzb6b.jpg

t7j3o5.jpg
v6tc.jpg
2lnb7uq.jpg

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Got these 8 1/2(UK) Florsheim's recently, anyone got an idea when they were made? I think they are of recent manufacture but are in very good almost unworn condition though they haven't been stored too well as heel areas are a little mishapen, having said that they were cheap enough:
http://i42.tinypic.com/nxjgcx.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/1fzb6b.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/t7j3o5.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/v6tc.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2lnb7uq.jpg

The construction seems decent, but the upper is a little too shiny to my eye to be full grain leather, especially with those creases. The shoes look good overall, but I wonder whether it would really be worth getting them resoled when the time comes.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
In the 1920's, there were Shoemaking Competitions in the US. The level of skill was extremely high, and I believe the "Holy Grail" of stitching was actually in the neighborhood of 64 per inch. Not necessarily wearable, but definitely showcases the maker's skills. Here are 2 entries from a similar competition that took place in the U.S. in the 1920's. Rather than shoe construction, the focus here was coming up with the most beautiful Re-Sole possible. First the shoe, then the soles. WOW!

1) Gorgeous work

KGrHqJHJBcE63Vgy76LBO0P75K9g60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqVHJCkE63YKimkpBO0P8chsf60_12.jpg

KGrHqVHJCkE63YKimkpBO0P807NZQ60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqZHJCEE63UScHEBO0P8kPk1w60_12-1.jpg

2) This pair was un-frigging-believable

KGrHqRHJC4E7BcvhWyTBO033LRSQg60_3.jpg

KGrHqZHJBEE63St-2NCBO03234Juw60_3.jpg

KGrHqRHJBEE63St9m3lBO0339BgRQ60_3.jpg

KGrHqZHJBkE63VtkvRHBO034N5OWg60_3.jpg

KGrHqVHJDME63ZMWGmEBO034p0DBw60_3.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
you said it. i take it that the gold dots are all shoe-tacks ?
seems such a crazy amount of work for something that is going to be walked on.

You forget that this was a "Showcasing of Skills", rather than meant-to-wear shoes. The Unbelievable 64 stitches per inch shoes can't really be worn... there is so little leather left between the stitches that the connections aren't hardy enough. This just gives you an idea of what US shoemakers were capable of during the height of the industry.

ALSO, keep in mind that the sole treatments of Top Modern Shoes have become a war of sorts. Edward Green's soles were always considered nice, but now Gaziano & Girling, Saint Crispins, Lattanzi & others have all stepped up their game. "Lickable Soles' is what it's referred to as, and while it seems such a shame to walk on them, they SCREAM luxury & handmade beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran