Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
One of my recent ebay acquisitions.

IMAG0519-1.jpg

I have a question for you chaps in the know. What colour and pattern of vest would go well with this?
Good shirt/tie colour combination with that suit.

Grey (mid to light) or tan waistcoat would work well in my opinion.

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
Good shirt/tie colour combination with that suit.

Grey (mid to light) or tan waistcoat would work well in my opinion.

Thank you sir!

Here is another of my suits, also acquired from the bay. Had this one for quite some time. Label in the jacket pocket shows "Individually tailored for Mario de Cute." Dated 10/74. The pants were enormously flared when I got it but I had a tailor change that to a straighter leg.

S8002301.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Thank you sir!

Here is another of my suits, also acquired from the bay. Had this one for quite some time. Label in the jacket pocket shows "Individually tailored for Mario de Cute." Dated 10/74. The pants were enormously flared when I got it but I had a tailor change that to a straighter leg.

Wolfen, I really like this suit; I recently made inquiries about that particular waistcoat/jacket lapel combination, the shawl lapel waistcoat with the peaked lapel jacket, because I felt it was absolutely awesome and wanted to be sure I wasn't out to lunch in liking it. I ordered a made-to-measure suit in navy wool gabardine from a tailor in Hong Kong with exactly that style, the only difference being that the vest is to be a single breasted rather than double. Seeing your excellent suit makes me even more excited for mine to arrive! :D

My only suggestion is that your tailor should shorten up your jacket cuffs slightly, as it appears from the photo that your shirtsleeves are the correct length, but you aren't showing any linen under them. You should aim to see about 1/2 inch of your shirt cuff poking out beyond the jacket sleeve. I note that you're wearing french cuffs, and you want everyone to notice your cufflinks!

William Stratford

A-List Customer
I have a question for you chaps in the know. What colour and pattern of vest would go well with this?

Darker beiges would probably go well...also, that tie clashes a tad against the blue - perhaps a terracotta straight tie, with blue highlights to match the jacket?

That is a first rate suit that blends wonderfully together! Although I agree with G&T on the need to lose about an inch on the sleeves, which should be a very straightforward job for your tailor. Very nice suit though! :)

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Wolfen,

That suit with the yellow bowtie...Those jacket-cuffs are a titch long, as Tonics has pointed out. Otherwise I think it's rather becoming. I'd suggest a dark cobalt, or possibly navy blue waistcoat to go with that.

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
G&T, William Stratford and Shangas, thank you for your feedback gentlemen. I will be taking your advice on the sleeves as soon as I have the necessary funds.

I do love the grey one, quite possibly my favourite suit. In the colder months I usually wear it with my Blue Label Lee fedora.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
graysuit.jpg

Currently one of only two suits I own. The second one is at the tailor being altered. I actually got this suit for free from a thrift store. It was marked as 10 bucks, but when I went to buy it the cashier said green tags were on sale for 50c. As I didn't have 50c in my pocket, the lady beside me in line just gave me two quarters and said it was her good deed for the day; I thought that was very kind of her.

The suit features sham button holes on the sleeves and a 3 roll to 2 button configuration. The trousers are pleated and have a cuff at the bottom.

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Thank you sir!

You should have kept the pants flared, would make it look more 1930s.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Hmm does my suit look 60's? I figured with the wider lapels it couldn't possibly be. I thought the 60's was all body-hugging with ultra skinny lapels and such.

I got a haircut today and wore that same suit with a white shirt, but same tie, and the wife said, "You look kinda 1920's...is that what you're going for?" I said, "I'd prefer 1890's, but 1920 is a lot closer than 2012, so I'll take it as a compliment!"

alsendk

A-List Customer
AllanLasVegas.jpg
[/IMG]

Having had 3 chinese suits for years, I felt like having something special this time, so I ordered a Giorgio Armany tailored suit.
Not exactly cheep, but sitting much more comfortably than any of my chinese taylored suits.
In a small indian silk tie shop in Copenhagen I asked the sweet young owner if she could draw me a doubble bass on a black silk tie. She didn`t knew what this was looking like, so I made a hasty draw on a piece of paper, and she ended up making my draw on my tie freehanded to my pleasant surprise, more precise than I made it.
The Picture is taken in some playing hall in Las Vegas around 07, attending the big car exibition that year, waiting for some italian MOMO salesmen to pick me and my friend up for having a wonderful dinner on their account.
The next day it was some germans to invite us out. All in all a lovely week,in a very lively town.

Going to a fotoshop with my Sema badge, showing my name in english - Alan Iverson -almost killed the foto staff in she shop. They were all laughing seing a small european pale man, with the height of 173cm - 68,1 inches.
Much later I found out about my name brother :O)

You can just about see one of the legs from the Eifel tower behind me....any idea about the name of the hotel where we were dining outside ?

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Trust me, I wish I had them! Or better yet, a collar-bar! But I'm not so lucky...

The cheap plastic ones work fairly well considering their price. I bought a package of something like 50 of them of various sizes for about $3.50. Even the really fancy brass ones are only about 8-10 bucks for a box of 20 or something.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
I like how we have gone all 60s.

Not intentionally in my case! It turns out with some careful looking into the inner pocket seams, the union tag on my recent tan-&-green number was the post-'62 tag with the (R) on it. :eusa_doh: Shoulda looked closer before I let myself believe it was an unusual '50s jacket, rather than a getup from a time period I'm not too fond of. Sorry if you like the '60s, but it's not my cup of tea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran