Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

GrangerGangster said:
IMG_0589.jpg

Can you give me some info about this one? Something about it is giving me an "excellent repro" rather than "original 30s" vibe. maybe the lapels? A great suit.

bk

StanleyVanBuren

Went to a wedding last weekend; here is a shot of me w/ the groom, a friend and former housemate from undergrad:

n8503920_31001254_9187.jpg

May be hard to tell but the shirt is an OCBD; button-down collar. Tie knot is a windsor.

And I really really need to get a better watch. [huh]

StanleyVanBuren

Baron Kurtz said:
p.s. That knot looks nice and small. A Windsor, you say?

Yep! With a couple exceptions, none of my ties come out right in length if I tie them in a 4IH. Must have something to do with my small neck. So, when I want a smaller knot, I just tie a Windsor instead of the half-Windsor.

And if I want a really really big knot, there's always the dou... well, nevermind. ;)

GrangerGangster

New in Town
Thanks so much for the positive comments!

Baron, you are correct. I didn't want to go right out and say it; I thought I'd see if someone could catch it. Although my being 18, this suit might be considered "vintage" from my point of view, it is certainly not vintage in the eyes of the Fedora Lounge, aka it is not from the 30's as you pointed out. I actually got that 3 piece grey suit from my father's closet and really took to it, because it was the first time I had seen a three piece in person. I would say that it is from the late 70's - early 80's, but I figured I could at least make it pass to the untrained eye as an older look by combining it with the spectator wingtips, the small tie, the attachable collar, and the boater hat. I think I did an ok job. In terms of getting these ensembles together, I would say that eBay has provided the bulk of the purchases. Other things I have been fortunate to dig up from my father's closet, and a few things I have purchased new from haberdasheries, department stores, and formal wear outlets, among other things. Add in there my discerning eye, developed from watching old movies, or movies set in the Classic Era, and my creativity, and I have been able to assemble a modest "vintage" collection. To be more specific, for example: the full evening dress ("white tie") is almost exclusively eBay, with the exception of the shoes, the cane, gloves, and the collar. However, the grey suit ensemble was put together from finds at home, minus the boater, which is from eBay. If anyone has any more questions, please feel free to direct them here. Once again, thank you for your support and gracious comments.

John

GrangerGangster

New in Town
I agree, and I think that I might be in for that because I am going to be a music performance major when I start college in the fall, and white tie is appropriate dress for recitals. I am a little apprehensive though, because the suit is 100% wool, and the shirt, while cotton, is heavily starched, so that sort of rules out breathing of the material, so under bright stage lights, while exerting myself, I might get really hot. At least I'll faint looking good though.

John

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
GrangerGangster said:
I agree, and I think that I might be in for that because I am going to be a music performance major when I start college in the fall, and white tie is appropriate dress for recitals. I am a little apprehensive though, because the suit is 100% wool, and the shirt, while cotton, is heavily starched, so that sort of rules out breathing of the material, so under bright stage lights, while exerting myself, I might get really hot. At least I'll faint looking good though.

John

You'll be in good company with leagues of performers who have gone before you, all properly turned out for the stage. :)

You should pick up a morning coat for those daytime performances, too.

GrangerGangster

New in Town
Definitely, in fact it has been a long-time desire of mine to have a full set of morning dress. My first priority when I knew that I wanted to own my own formal wear was the white tie ensemble. Now that I have all that, I want to move on to morning dress. Being a poor student, I have once again been resorting to eBay, so I will have to keep looking. If you have any suggestions for morning dress, please give them to me.

John

metropd

One Too Many
The top hat looks like exactley what I am looking for, since I can't pm you would you be willing to sell it, you name the price? If so could you send pictures and measurments?If not you look great in it including the white tie and other ensembles and I think those were one of the best posts to ever be posted at the lounge. YOU LOOK GREAT.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
GrangerGangster said:
Thanks so much for the positive comments!

Baron, you are correct. I didn't want to go right out and say it; I thought I'd see if someone could catch it. Although my being 18, this suit might be considered "vintage" from my point of view, it is certainly not vintage in the eyes of the Fedora Lounge, aka it is not from the 30's as you pointed out. I actually got that 3 piece grey suit from my father's closet and really took to it, because it was the first time I had seen a three piece in person. I would say that it is from the late 70's - early 80's, but I figured I could at least make it pass to the untrained eye as an older look by combining it with the spectator wingtips, the small tie, the attachable collar, and the boater hat. I think I did an ok job. In terms of getting these ensembles together, I would say that eBay has provided the bulk of the purchases. Other things I have been fortunate to dig up from my father's closet, and a few things I have purchased new from haberdasheries, department stores, and formal wear outlets, among other things. Add in there my discerning eye, developed from watching old movies, or movies set in the Classic Era, and my creativity, and I have been able to assemble a modest "vintage" collection. To be more specific, for example: the full evening dress ("white tie") is almost exclusively eBay, with the exception of the shoes, the cane, gloves, and the collar. However, the grey suit ensemble was put together from finds at home, minus the boater, which is from eBay. If anyone has any more questions, please feel free to direct them here. Once again, thank you for your support and gracious comments.

John

I think you pull off all the ensembles very well, including the grey suit/boater outfit. The wing collar is particularly handsome; may I ask how high it is? At a guess, I should say certainly higher that 2" (which is as high as modern collars get, 1 3/4" being more typical), and probably closer to 3"?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
GrangerGangster said:
Definitely, in fact it has been a long-time desire of mine to have a full set of morning dress. My first priority when I knew that I wanted to own my own formal wear was the white tie ensemble. Now that I have all that, I want to move on to morning dress. Being a poor student, I have once again been resorting to eBay, so I will have to keep looking. If you have any suggestions for morning dress, please give them to me.

John

John,

Since you don't have PM ability yet, send me an email at jeff [dot] cavanaugh [at] gmail [dot] com

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
StanleyVanBuren said:
Went to a wedding last weekend; here is a shot of me w/ the groom, a friend and former housemate from undergrad:

n8503920_31001254_9187.jpg

May be hard to tell but the shirt is an OCBD; button-down collar. Tie knot is a windsor.

And I really really need to get a better watch. [huh]

Not bad, Stanley! The tie knot feels in proportion....I still agree with others about the shirt collar, but that's a little bit more difficult to solve.

Btw, where's the handkerchief?

GrangerGangster

New in Town
Baron, correct again. The collar is the largest one I've seen anywhere and is 2.5 inches tall. For some reason, I was just drawn to the tall-standing collar, so I bought that one, since I think it was the same price as the 1.5 and 2 inch wing collars as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats