Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Marty M.

Vendor
Thumbs up.

Baron Kurtz said:
CambridgeCothing1.jpg

I had to move the fastening buttons on this one at least 1/2 inch towards the pocket to get them back to where they were intended to be. They were also slightly out of alignment with their counterparts on the left side. unfortunately i have no "before" picture.

bk
Great look Baron. The whole outfit looks smashing. Bravo.
Marty Mathis

Marcus

A-List Customer
Mr. Rover said:
Welcome and beautiful suit! That gray stripe double breasted is THE quintessential, yet very elusive, 40s style suit. It is great fit on you, although you can choose to have the sleeves taken up a little bit to show a sliver of cuff (but it doesn't look terrible as it is..it'd be very minor...maybe 1/4-1/2"). Does it feel tight in the chest or waist? It looks like there is a bit of bunching, but it may just need to be pressed.
You look like you stepped right out of a film noir- very dapper! :eusa_clap

Thanks all. The trousers fit perfectly. The coat is slightly snug in the midsection, but nothing I can't live with...just need to watch what eat!

benstephens

Practically Family
That is a lovely suit Baron, is it english or American (Pardon me if you have already stated!)

Paddy, they are a couple of really nice suits, the first one looks very good on, and the colour is quite striking.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Rooster

Practically Family
Thw wearin' of the Shark

Here's what I wore to church today. Dated 1968 made for Walter Somebodyoranother. Fits like a 42L. 2 1/4" lapels, 4 1/2" side vents. Pretty high armholes, infact this is a very comfortable suit to wear, the sleeves don't creep up at all when driving. It's a maroon color that shimmers to green when the sun hits it. The pants are high waisted, the zipper is forever long.
I've wanted a sharkskin suit ever since I was a kid, now I have one! I couldn't decide what lid to wear with this so I didn't. I only have a silverbelly OR and a brown Akubra squatter, niether of those seemed right. I think a black stingy brim might have looked pretty sharp. Oh, the tie is an old one, probably about as old as the suit. it's 2 3/4" wide and a very slick polyester. Gold tie bar that you can't see, but you can see the collar bar.
I'm diggin' this suit!
OOOPS, forgot the picture....
theshark.jpg
[/IMG]
theshark1.jpg
[/IMG]

Edward

Bartender
Orgetorix said:
Yes, it does make sense and I think that's a great deal of it. Also a factor is the way the cut of SB waistcoats has changed.

Sharp suit, Rooster. It screams "Connery" to me, so perchance a British-style Trilby with wider / narrower brim (I've seem them up to 2") as suits yourself? Definitely black with that suit...though if you were able to find a slip of ribbon for the hat that would be a close match for the suit and have that same shimmer effect....!

Anthony Jordan said:
Alan,
Edward, thanks - if memory serves, the first pair of trousers are 1956 Hope Bros, Regent Street, and the second pair unknown maker and vintage but probably c.1950s as well. Both came from a vintage emporium here in Cardiff.

Nice. I have in mind to pick up a couple of pairs of repros in a similar look - I really like how they have the appearance of a "reverse" colouration on a classic pinstripe - lighter main colour, darker stripes - great for a more dandified casual look! :)

Rooster

Practically Family
Hello Baron. What would you call the fabric on that suit? A glen plaid? I picked up a mint 49 dated suit of that same fabric not long ago. Fairly heavy fabric in the same pattern and color as yours. Who is tha maker on yours?
I guess I ought to get some pictures of mine and get them posted.
Mine is way too small for me, something like a 40R, I don't recall. It was so perfect I just couldn't let it go. I figure somebody will have to have it!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Rooster said:
Here's what I wore to church today. Dated 1968 made for Walter Somebodyoranother. Fits like a 42L. 2 1/4" lapels, 4 1/2" side vents. Pretty high armholes, infact this is a very comfortable suit to wear, the sleeves don't creep up at all when driving. It's a maroon color that shimmers to green when the sun hits it. The pants are high waisted, the zipper is forever long.
I've wanted a sharkskin suit ever since I was a kid, now I have one! I couldn't decide what lid to wear with this so I didn't. I only have a silverbelly OR and a brown Akubra squatter, niether of those seemed right. I think a black stingy brim might have looked pretty sharp. Oh, the tie is an old one, probably about as old as the suit. it's 2 3/4" wide and a very slick polyester. Gold tie bar that you can't see, but you can see the collar bar.
I'm diggin' this suit!
OOOPS, forgot the picture....
theshark.jpg
[/IMG]
theshark1.jpg
[/IMG]

Great suit! And I don't think I hve seen a better fit on this lounge of experts. Excellent. Did you have it tailored, or did it belong to your twin?

Rooster said:
Hello Baron. What would you call the fabric on that suit? A glen plaid? I picked up a mint 49 dated suit of that same fabric not long ago. Fairly heavy fabric in the same pattern and color as yours. Who is tha maker on yours?
I guess I ought to get some pictures of mine and get them posted.
Mine is way too small for me, something like a 40R, I don't recall. It was so perfect I just couldn't let it go. I figure somebody will have to have it!

errrm, i'm calling it Glenurquhart check with overcheck. It's not really a Prince of Wales check (the overcheck is a bit too elaborate).

It was made by Hart, Schaffner and Marx. One of their hand tailored line. Perhaps the highest quality suit made for sale in the stores in the 40s. If you haven't beheld a 30s or 40s HSM suit, you haven't seen how good MTM and OTR can be! This suit is that much better than every other non-bespoke vintage suit in my wardrobe. It is truly a fantastic piece of architecture.

bk

Rooster

Practically Family
OK, after being inspired by the Baron's fabulous suit I took the time to photogragh mine. I'd model this one, but it's way too small for me. It measures 40 at the pits, what is that? A 38?
Anyway, I was surprised to see this fully lined. Is that somewhat unusual for a suit of this vintage? It also has a nifty little interior pocket in the pants I've never seen before...comments? Supper stout thread on the buttons too, is this common?
This is one of the nicest quality suits that have been through my hands, on par with my late 40's brown Hart Schaffner and Marx
plaid1.jpg
[/IMG]
plaid2.jpg
[/IMG]
plaid3.jpg
[/IMG]
plaid4.jpg
[/IMG]
plaid5.jpg
[/IMG]
plaid6.jpg
[/IMG]
plaid7.jpg
[/IMG]
plaid8.jpg
[/IMG]
plaid9.jpg
[/IMG]

Rooster

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
Great suit! And I don't think I hve seen a better fit on this lounge of experts. Excellent. Did you have it tailored, or did it belong to your twin?
Like others on this board I seem to have a Doppleganger....;) This is how the suit was right out of goodwill. I had it cleaned and that was it. I'll probably wear it for the premier of "Mad Men" on AMC. Just a nifty suit that keeps me humming old Beatles tunes when I have it on.lol

Rooster said:

Now that, i believe, is a Prince of Wales check.

See, those custom jobs are usually going to end up higher quality than the standard vintage suit . . . A very typical late 40s/early 50s button stance there, too. lovely suit. I particularly like the back pocket flap. An interesting feature . . .

Full lining isn't too uncommon for custom made of the era.

bk

Rooster

Practically Family
Jovan said:
I'm liking these '50s and '60s suits popping up around here. :)

Rooster: Ooh, ooh, sell it to me!
The 49 dated suit will pop up on ebay soon.
There have been quite a few late 50's and early 60's suits turning up in my area in the last few months, most of them dated. And, in my size too. None of them quite as nice as the shark skin though.

GrangerGangster

New in Town
Going back to talk of morning dress and the stroller look, I wanted to comment on the white pique slip waistcoat that is visible in some of the vintage catalog illustrations. I think it is a very elegant and neat look, and I wondered if anyone knew if they are still made or if they can be found anywhere, just out of curiosity.

John

Rooster

Practically Family
Here's one of the suits I recently snagged at the goodwill store. I got 5 of them for $30. Three of them are Brooks Bros. This is one of the Brooks bros. This is in a black,grey, white glenplaid with a light blue stipe running through it. Old 40's tie, one of my fav's.
glenplaid.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats