Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
That is a beautiful suit. Perfect for rambling in the country this fall and winter.

Tweed suits are wonderful; they're soft and comfortable, toasty warm on chilly days, and they look just as good when they're rumpled from a long trip. When they develop worn spots on the elbows, collar, etc., you just patch them with soft leather and they look even better.

I've owned several, loved every one and wore them until they literally fell apart.

A tweed suit will take well to a variety of accessories: a suede leather waistcoat, argyle pullover, bow ties, ascots, suede brogans, tweed caps, etc. Please show us the ensemble(s) you choose for this exceptional suit.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comments and tips, gents. I can't wait to wear it. It's so heavy weight that I nearly died of heat just trying it on. I forgot to say that I paid $60 for it.

I thought I'd show you another piece I picked up at the same place as the above suit.

It has a '36 union tag and is my first vintage belted back. The fit of this thing is amazing, even the arms are long enough for me! :eek: I paid $26.

At first before I really examined it I thought it was a 1970s jacket, though they don't have such angled chest pockets or pleated backs. The fabric is great. It's solid dark blue but there is a woven glen plaid pattern to it. I think I captured it well in a couple pictures.

So, is this an orphaned suit jacket or an honest sports coat?

beltedbackjacket36uniontag001.jpg

beltedbackjacket36uniontag002.jpg

beltedbackjacket36uniontag003.jpg

beltedbackjacket36uniontag004.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Picked up this U.S. Navy uniform for a song.

Jacket is in good condition, has an anchor patch. Don't really know if the patch is Navy issue or just added afterwards. What do you think, keep it or cut it?
Also seems the buttons were replace at on point with some cheap smooth ones. I'll replace them somewhere down the road.
It's fully lined, fabric is gabardine. Nice lazy peaked lapels. Need to take the arms down (how I hate that).

The trousers have a hole in one leg and a fade line where it's been hanging on a wire hanger forever, so they aren't wearable. But the jacket will look nice with some khaki trousers.

Navyuniform001.jpg

Lapels:
Navyuniform003.jpg

Navyuniform002.jpg

Navyuniform004.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:

I like the slim cut of the jacket. It would look great with white, wide-leg cotton trousers. The jacket is a bit short on you, by modern standards, but this length was very typical of attire on private yachts in the late '30s - early '40s.

That anchor design is neither US navy nor UK navy; nor is it the merchant marine of either country. My guess is that it was worn by the crew of a private vessel.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Wolfmanjack said:
That anchor design is neither US navy nor UK navy; nor is it the merchant marine of either country. My guess is that it was worn by the crew of a private vessel.

Thanks for confirming about that patch, I was thinking a private boating patch as well. The backing is made of leather so it does appear to be rather old.

Here's the U.S. Navy Patch:
Navyuniform005.jpg

And each button has one of these behind it. They say 'Dyno' on them:
Navyuniform006.jpg

It would seem that the buttons are removable, much like the WW2 U.S. officer's summer tunic.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Nic Trousers!

Thanks, Tomasso, they are indeed. Superbly high-waisted with beautiful drape.

And I take back what I said about them being unwearable. Turns out the 'fade' line was just some dirt and came out with a good brushing. I stitched the small hole up as well. (Almost) good as new!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
Turns out the 'fade' line was just some dirt and came out with a good brushing. I stitched the small hole up as well. (Almost) good as new!

Congratulations! Now you're ready to join businessman and philanthropist Sir Thomas Lipton (1850 - 1931) on board his yacht the Erin.
lipton.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
GrangerGangster said:
After what has seemed like a long time, I've finally come up with morning dress of which I'm pleased, and for a relatively inexpensive amount. Enjoy.

John

IMG_3119.jpg

Fantastic, John. But please, tell us more about how you achieved this elegant morning ensemble "for a relatively inexpensive amount."

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
GrangerGangster said:
After what has seemed like a long time, I've finally come up with morning dress of which I'm pleased, and for a relatively inexpensive amount. Enjoy.

John

IMG_3119.jpg

I do hope you wear that about town. Turn quite a few heads!

GrangerGangster

New in Town
How I did it:

First, I must explain that I am a college student with an incurable and hopelessly romantic hobby and interest in vintage menswear, so naturally, I had to get my hands on morning dress, a look that's always interested me, but without breaking the bank, and yet still looking smart and proper. I have to thank everyone at the Fedora Lounge, which has served as entertainment for countless hours, for allowing me to read up on what the rules are. I'm glad I learned that some things just aren't done. I guess we'll start from the bottom up. Basic, sturdy, fairly high-quality, plain black captoe oxfords of Johnston & Murphy that I got at Jos. A. Bank. They're very nice. Yes, Balmoral boots, or some type of canvas-topped button boot would be nice, but those are pretty rare in good condition, and to get them made today would be expensive. Here, I can use these shoes with all my suits, and I think they fit the parameters of morning dress footwear pretty well, at least, better than some God-awful blucher or square-toed shoe or something. Next, we see where this look becomes my own, not the stereotypical look, and where I saved a good amount. The trousers were a part of a suit that I "acquired" from my dad's closet. They were gray and had white pinstripes, so I made them work for the time being. Perhaps I will get a vintage pair of morning trousers with the more traditional wedding stripe some day, but as many of you know, there were plenty of variations in trouser patterns in the old days, so I think these do fine for now. I did have to make my own alterations to them though: first, they had cuffs at the bottom, a no-no, so I turned them up into the leg and sewed them in place, thereby also shortening the trousers to my leg, because my dad's legs are longer than mine. I also added suspender buttons to the waistline, and I think the trousers work nicely. The shirt was a bit of an expense, because I bought it from across the pond from the Vintage Shirt Co. It's their standard white tunic shirt, collarless, and with double cuffs. I have attached to that, one of their 2.5" high Imperial collars (while I have several different collar styles, I just happened to choose that one to wear). The waistcoat and tailcoat came together from eBay. The waistcoat is a charcoal gray, almost black, 6-button, single-breasted number, lacking lapels, and with a grosgrain braid around the front. I noticed the existence of what I learned were waistcoat slips a couple of years ago, and really liked the look. I've always been creative, and after realizing that it would be very difficult to find a vintage one by itself, I decided to make my own. Perhaps you could use this idea yourself for an inexpensive addition to waistcoats, if you don't think it's too childish. All I did was take an old, white button-down shirt, and took a seam-ripper to the buttonhole placket. Then I cut the buttons off the other side, sewed them to the inside of the waistcoat, and buttoned the placket to the buttons. You might be laughing at this ghetto mod, but I bet most of you thought it was a real waistcoat slip, and would never have known, had I not told you. Anyway, moving on to the tailcoat. As I said, I got it with the waistcoat off of eBay. Unfortunately, I don't remember how much I paid for the two, probably serving as a testament to their inexpensiveness. It is also the dark charcoal gray, and also has the grosgrain trim. Peak lapels would be nice, but as this coat is from the 30's, I know that notch lapels were around then, and I have seen fashion plates and other things which show men in notch lapel morning tailcoats. It has a single-button closure, and features 3 buttons at the cuffs. The sleeve lining was in poor condition, which contributed to it's diminished value, but no one will know anymore. The lapel has a buttonhole in it, so I added a flower for a splash of color, and I also have a square-folded pocket handkerchief to round things out. I think that about covers the coat. The necktie is just a regular necktie I had in my closet, which I just tied on with a four-in-hand knot. The top hat was one of the most expensive things in the look, but I just had to splurge on a good hat, as anything less would be undesirable to me. It's a vintage black silk pop-up hat, virtually flawless on the outside; worse off on the inside, from where the supports tore the lining when the hat was compressed. I was able to get it off of eBay as well for somewhere around $100. This particular type of hat is probably more evening-wear-kosher, but it's a hell of a lot better than practically anything else you can get today, certainly better than those horrible wool felt pieces of crap you get from most places. Plus, this one hat complements my full dress attire as well, so its versatility was a bonus. Accessories include a pocket watch, the chain of which you can see, a cane, and gloves. The gloves are cheap...they are just gray cotton costume-quality gloves with the three welts on the back. For me, something like gloves seemed a trivial expense for which to go all the way. Yes, it would be nice to have a pair of chamois or kid gloves or something, but I didn't see the need. I hope that you can sympathize, and see my point of view; I feel that Fedora Lounge members would let a cheap pair of gloves slide, much easier than if I skimped on one of the necessary parts of the dress. Such as, if I had this photo taken with some horrible "cutaway tuxedo jacket" from a rental shop, etc. Overall, I'm pleased with the look, and I would estimate that it cost me well under $400. I think that covers pretty much everything. I hope you can all take pride and consider me a product of your knowledgeable posts and activity on this site, and know that there is at least one member of the younger generation (I'm 19) who can still appreciate style. Feel free to ask other questions.

John

Oh, I also wanted to say that I am wearing sock garters in the photo as well, something I got on a whim for more of that vintage feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats