Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

repeatclicks

Practically Family
1950s Single breasted 2 button for a song. My first vintage suit!:

327979237_o.jpg

More images on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...72822&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5219wt_1167

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Help Date This Suit

Hello,

I won this suit on e-bay. It was advertised as a 40s/50s suit, but the lapels seem to narrow for that era. I'm very happy with the suit, but I was wondering if someone could verify the decade of manufacture.

Thank you,

cgab

327680886_o.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
It's been belt-back city on eBay this week!

Not mine, sold at action this week. Caused all sorts of envy from the depths of my soul, but was bid WAY outside my budget pretty early. The fact that this has a zipper is interesting to me. If I was going to hazard a guess I'd say it was from '35-'37 from the cut, but zippers were not common at that point.

0321260586178101.jpg

0421260586197928.jpg

0711260586229850.jpg

0341260586182001.jpg

0211260586170378.jpg

0611260586213099.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
Just won three suits on ebay for under 30 dollars each (one was 9 dollars, one was 10, one was 16 originally but some fool bumped it to 30). I'm quite pleased with all of them, i will post pictures of them as soon as i get the last one tailored properly.

anon`

One Too Many
Guttersnipe said:
Not mine, sold at action this week. Caused all sorts of envy from the depths of my soul, but was bid WAY outside my budget pretty early. The fact that this has a zipper is interesting to me. If I was going to hazard a guess I'd say it was from '35-'37 from the cut, but zippers were not common at that point.

0321260586178101.jpg
This auction caused much pain and angst.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
This auction caused much pain and angst

You bet it did! that suit is perfect! it would have fitted my husband perfectly too, but was way out of my budget...what does it take to be able to afford anything that beautiful in this life?!! sorry guys, i'm rather bitter :(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
crazydaisy said:
...what does it take to be able to afford anything that beautiful in this life?!!

It takes luck, knowledge, skill, time and effort. 1930s belted-back suits like that one have been found for $75 at U.S. vintage clothing stores: I personally know of three such suits. (For some reason, $75 was the magic price for each of them. Go figure. [huh])

Estate sales are even better. The same suit could be found at an estate for, say, $25. Seek hard, seek long, and ye shall find.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
cgab1 said:
Hello,

I won this suit on e-bay. It was advertised as a 40s/50s suit, but the lapels seem to narrow for that era. I'm very happy with the suit, but I was wondering if someone could verify the decade of manufacture.

Thank you,

cgab

327680886_o.jpg

The narrow lapels and the boxy shape suggest to me that this as a late '50s or early '60s "Ivy League" suit.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
...hm, i wonder how it works with the estate sales in the uk...it is not the first time i think about it, but this has made me determined! it seems the only way to find satisfaction within my budget :) thanks marc

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You're very welcome! Unfortunately, I only know about U.S. estate sales. In the UK, try the adverts section of the local newspapers. If you find an estate sale listed in your area, try to go and see the outside of the estate --usually a house-- in advance of the sale. It will give you an idea of what might be inside. Aim for estates in older, wealthier neighborhoods.

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi,

Yes they do have estate sales in the UK, but as far as I am aware they are not the same as the ones in the US. The ones I have seen are big estates of landed families. Nice vintage clothing does turn up a lot at these, as well as luggage etc. They are worth going to, but a lot of dealers also go, so prices can actually be quite high.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Guttersnipe said:
If I was going to hazard a guess I'd say it was from '35-'37 from the cut, but zippers were not common at that point.

0321260586178101.jpg

Well, yes and no. I've seen zippers on pockets ONLY on some pants from the late 20s! Zippers only on the pockets... the fly was button! lol That suit is from around 1936-38 or so... right around there.

By the mid 30s you'd see zippers on flies. I have seen it on a beautiful electric blue with cream chalk stripe double breasted dated 1935! It was long enough for me but, too thin for my build. :mad: Had caramel colored buttons and such... amazing! Only reason why buttons lasted so long on pants was due to the fact that it wasn't as expensive as a zipper at the time and also there were men who liked buttons better. Seen a pair of cream yellow Hollywood waisted pants from the 50s with a button fly! You never know what you'll see some times.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
And it ain't over yet! ;)

I'm seriously thinking about selling this one on eBay: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=299418&postcount=1

Marc, don't do it... that suit is so amazing. If I found a suit like that, I'd never sell it... not even for $1,000! I find too much pleasure out of wearing these clothes than I could ever get out of money.

Hold on to that Marc, sell stuff that don't fit ya! ;) One day these things wont be around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy