Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I'd have to say I agree, if I had an old house, it would be completely decked out in antiques. I am kind of doing the opposite in mine, my apartment is newer (midcentury, built in '51), but inside you would think you would have stepped in to the 1930's.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Big Man said:
I wouldn't consider the kitchen "lovely", as it's just an old "country kitchen". But, since you asked, here are some pictures ...

This is looking from the dining room into the kitchen. The stove is a Hotpoint from about 1948. My Mother and Dad started housekeeping with this stove and when they got a "new stove", brought this one to my Grandmother's house. She didn't like the thought of an electric stove, so it sat on the back porch for several years before she finally consented to let it replace her wood cookstove (which sat in about the same place). The little plate on the wall above the stove was my Dad's "baby plate" from 1924, and has a Little Red Riding Hood theme painted on the plate. The refrigerator is the most modern appliance in the house (it's only about 30 years old). The first "refrigerator" (ice box) sat out on the back porch. There is still a hole in the porch floor where the drain from that old ice box was.

Kitchen-2.jpg

Behind this curtain is a pass-through window into the pantry (that has a door that opens in the Dining room). The window is not anything really practical, and serves only to allow cold air to come in the kitchen during the winter. The kitchen table is the same table that's been in the house since at least 1917.

Kitchen-1.jpg

And last but not least is the kitchen sink (excuse the dishes in the drying rack). :eek: The door to the right of the sink is the back door that opens onto a large screened-in porch.

DSC01463.jpg

So, there you have it. Nothing fancy, just a country kitchen.

Now, that's a kitchen! If you had a vintage refrigerator of the Monitor top variety, that would really synch it I think... and that's all it really needs... oh maybe an older radio then you'd be set! Just two items and you're there pal!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
:rolleyes:
My opinion only remember but, to see such an old house, then look so contemporary inside... [huh] I don't understand, it's done everyday.

Can you really call an old home with a completely new interior vintage?

You did not read where Kevin says that its not an old home at all, merely one built in a semi bungalowesque style.

Thus he is decorating according to his taste and what -he- likes.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
:rolleyes:
My opinion only remember but, to see such an old house, then look so contemporary inside... [huh] I don't understand, it's done everyday.

Can you really call an old home with a completely new interior vintage?

I'm glad you assumed the house was old, at least - it was built in 2004. :)

As a result, it's not as detailed as the genuinely old houses surrounding it - so a more mid-century style, which I'm gone for in many ways, is a nice bridge and fits the house better. The interior colors are all Mid Century, as are several pieces of furniture and decor - with other things at least mid-century inspired.

The exterior looked awful before, and I've brought it in line now with the more Arts & Crafts homes around it.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Atomic Glee said:
I'm glad you assumed the house was old, at least - it was built in 2004. :)

As a result, it's not as detailed as the genuinely old houses surrounding it - so a more mid-century style, which I'm gone for in many ways, is a nice bridge and fits the house better. The interior colors are all Mid Century, as are several pieces of furniture and decor - with other things at least mid-century inspired.

The exterior looked awful before, and I've brought it in line now with the more Arts & Crafts homes around it.

Yes, the outside of the house looks as if it were built in the 20s... no joke!

In the light of it being new, your work is well done; however, my tastes do not match yours. But we're not all here to be the same.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Kevin, Thanks for sharing your home with us. From inception onward it has been fascinating to follow. I'm glad to see that you've followed your inner muse and achieved a home that reflects your style. To do this with a house built in 2004 and make it blend with a much more vintage neighborhood is no small feat. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
You did not read where Kevin says that its not an old home at all, merely one built in a semi bungalowesque style.

Thus he is decorating according to his taste and what -he- likes.

It looks uber modern to me, (no offence Kevin) these are two photos of my friend Darin's place... he wanted to decorate mid-century so, he did.

darinshousecx2.jpg

darinshouse2ma2.jpg

If Kevin's home isn't vintage, should it be in this thread? I really don't mean to offend anyone; I'm just asking if modern mingled with old is what most people consider vintage? If so, I'm going to have to disagree. I would call that an eclectic decorating trend that is very mainstream.

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
wow

Whether it's period-appropriate or not for this forum, your friend's place is incredibly chic. I love the lamps and the coffee table. Incredibly envious here.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
It looks uber modern to me, (no offence Kevin) these are two photos of my friend Darin's place... he wanted to decorate mid-century so, he did.

darinshousecx2.jpg

darinshouse2ma2.jpg

If Kevin's home isn't vintage, should it be in this thread? I really don't mean to offend anyone; I'm just asking if modern mingled with old is what most people want here? If so, I'll just leave you guys alone.

I have said this in many other threads..I will say it again here.

There is room for all at the inn.

People here, enjoy the entire gamut of 'vintage', from merely appreciating it, to wanting to live in what for others is a 'museum' with nothing modern at all.

If someone does not want to see the entire gamut of interpretations, and only wants -their- particular version reflected here, then yes, it is the wrong place for them.

But if they would like to share the -love- of things vintage, and maybe, just maybe by sharing that love...help some other people inch towards a more vintage lifestyle by showing things in a 'here is what i did' and not a 'oh dear god, you don't have vintage plugs on that, I am aghast, its not vintage -enough-' way, the welcome mat is out.

No ones home is vintage enough to be in this thread if you get right down to it. No one here (that I am aware of anyhow) lives in a Living History Museum.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
My pal Darin is one swell guy! He loves the late 40s and early to mid 50s... he wanted to decorate period and he didn't want the typical "Malt Shop" or "bubble Gum" 50s... or something that wasn't what people would connect with a time period.

I hope he doesn't mind me sharing those photos... lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I have said this in many other threads..I will say it again here.

There is room for all at the inn.

People here, enjoy the entire gamut of 'vintage', from merely appreciating it, to wanting to live in what for others is a 'museum' with nothing modern at all.

If someone does not want to see the entire gamut of interpretations, and only wants -their- particular version reflected here, then yes, it is the wrong place for them.

But if they would like to share the -love- of things vintage, and maybe, just maybe by sharing that love...help some other people inch towards a more vintage lifestyle by showing things in a 'here is what i did' and not a 'oh dear god, you don't have vintage plugs on that, I am aghast, its not vintage -enough-' way, the welcome mat is out.

No ones home is vintage enough to be in this thread if you get right down to it. No one here (that I am aware of anyhow) lives in a Living History Museum.

Do we really have to do this? I mean, really? If Kevin feels I'm attacking him, he can tell me, he's a big boy.

I don't know why I bother about all this! I have helped LOTS of people learn things about periods; I haven't said anyting bad, I just stated an obvious observation... Lay off already!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Drool!!

Forgotten Man ...As a lover of mid century style, please tell your friend Darin that MaryDeluxe says he did an AMAZING job with his place! Care to share some more pictures???:D

I like my mid-century with a little bit of kitsch!!

2660172112_5ed558199d_m.jpg

2659341843_0bdcde984a_m.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Now, I will have to tell my friend that you appreciate his effort!

I do have to say, your interiors are just amazing too! I have my tastes and are a little more earlier but, a true 50s pad... that is something I appreciate! I think it's the effort that goes into making a room or home into a specific time period I really admire because, it's not easy, it takes time, patience, discipline, some money but, mostly love to complete the transformation. Also I must say that lighting is a very key ingredient and your lighting is inviting... CFL bulbs (which many use) are horrid things to light a house with. One should have warm soft lighting to make a living space soft and inviting. More wattage isn't always better. You can save just as much energy buy using lower watts then using CFL.

PS: That living room... I can just picture a family sitting around a blond wood cabinet TV watching Ed Sullivan!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why wouldn't your friend's home be considered vintage, Forgotten Man? 50's is definitely vintage...and I think early 60's are starting to creep in to the fringes of "vintage" in a lot of people's mind. Of course, my cousin's 15 year old thinks Madonna's a vintage singer and really OLD and must've sung for troops during the Civil War. ;)

But I think, considering the 50's are well over 50 years old now, it's definitely fair on a vintage post.

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
MaryDeluxe said:
Forgotten Man ...As a lover of mid century style, please tell your friend Darin that MaryDeluxe says he did an AMAZING job with his place! Care to share some more pictures???:D

I like my mid-century with a little bit of kitsch!!

2660172112_5ed558199d_m.jpg

2659341843_0bdcde984a_m.jpg

Mary Deluxe:
What is that thing over your couch? I like the space-age star kind of shape. And that green is of such a period. Great eye!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually, a lot of the things we think of as characteristically 50's can be found in some of the trendier homes of the 40's, so the hard and fast distinctions are a lot more moot than is generally believed.
Be that as it may, both these 50's-esque homes are really neat. I also have been striving for a slightly earlier style, but I think these homes definitely get blue ribbons for their front doors.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
Why wouldn't your friend's home be considered vintage, Forgotten Man? 50's is definitely vintage...and I think early 60's are starting to creep in to the fringes of "vintage" in a lot of people's mind. Of course, my cousin's 15 year old thinks Madonna's a vintage singer and really OLD and must've sung for troops during the Civil War. ;)

But I think, considering the 50's are well over 50 years old now, it's definitely fair on a vintage post.

I think a wire was crossed.

Kevin's home didn't strike me as being vintage... my friend Darin's home is very authentic 50s vintage. Review my posts, see what I mean.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
I think the thing to remember is that in most cases people didn't have an all 30's, 40's, 50's or 60's decade look to their homes. People had a mix of things from all different time periods. Let's face it, the year 1950 didn't roll around and everyone said, Hey it's the 50's let's get rid of all our 40's stuff and get new stuff from the 50's! lol lol

I collect things I like and I specifically wanted to create what I consider a kitsch, late 40's/50's mid-century modern look. A little over the top for some people I'm sure but I just can't help myself! :D

ForgottenMan...it's funny you should mention lighting as an important design element...I couldn't agree with you more about that. No matter what your style choice, lighting can make or break a room!

Miles...This is a vintage atomic shadow box I found at an auction.
2659223486_28a59dc5b8_m.jpg

As for Kevin's Home...I love your color choices, most definitely 50's! Yes, he does have modern things but I also noticed vintage and vintage inspired things in the mix. I think he's headed in the right direction.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
Now, that's a kitchen! If you had a vintage refrigerator of the Monitor top variety, that would really synch it I think... and that's all it really needs... oh maybe an older radio then you'd be set! Just two items and you're there pal!

That old refrigerator is almost "vintage" itself. :) I believe it was bought about 1975 or 78. It replaced an old Frigidaire (about a 1950 model) that had a tiny freezer section that had to be defrosted on a regular basis.

What I'd really like to do is to find a new refrigerator that is disguised as an old ice box. My grandmother's ice box sat on the back porch, and that's where I'd put the thing. I know they make them like that, but the price ... :eusa_doh:

As to the radio, another "almost vintage" piece that's probabally older than you are. :D That radio has sat on top of the refrigerator for as long as I can remember. Probably because the only electric outlet in the room is the one behind the refrigerator. [huh] But you are right, if my objective was to decorate in a particular vintage style, I should change out the refrigerator and the radio.

What I really need to "get it back to the 1930's" is a wood stove and ice box ...:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo