Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Elizabeth.F said:
I'm currently knitting a sweater from 1914 (not golden era I know) and yesterday I finished a pair of golf stockings from 1915 (still not golden era!) But my next project will be the Three Hour Sweater from the 1930s:
http://www.lrvictor.bravepages.com/Free/3-HOUR.htm
I think I remember somewhere in the Fedora Lounge a knit-a-long for it...
Are you on Ravelry? This is a very popular pattern there and there are tons of finished sweaters and discussions of this pattern.

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Mine!

Well I thought I would share one of mine. It’s my second attempt (well third if I include my odd sock…. don’t ask!:eek: ).
This took an age to knit too- I started knitting it last September, did two months then gave up for the making of Christmas presents and then took it up again on and off in the New Year to finish the fronts and back and part sleeve. I manage to finish all the pieces in the summer time- in reality it only took about 4/5 months out of the year- but like many of my projects they are started with gusto then I loose the will to live with it and start something new.:eek:
Anyway it’s from a 1940’s pattern and has the best shoulders ever! It should have pockets but I wanted to save the leftover for a matching beret- it should also have buttons with loopy bits but I haven’t got round to that yet or rather my mum hasn’t (I cant crochet). I don’t think the fastening is urgent as I wear it often with just the belt.
Hope you like it

P1010045.jpg

Hats x

Btw Miss Sis your stocking stitch is sooo neat. Mine is getting worse- I blame it on my hate for purl rows and the fact I’m a lefty (Please don’t say you’re one too- it will shatter me!). I also like the idea of wearing a tie with a collared jumper like that too; I often wear cravats, but never thought of ties- thanks! You did a great job on that- I certainly don’t envy you on the making up with the inverted pleat and all.;)

Lauren your sweater is so cute. I bet that was dream to knit (I love cables) and it’s in a colour I have been looking for in a 4ply for an age, no luck yet!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Miss Hattie said:
Well I thought I would share one of mine. It’s my second attempt (well third if I include my odd sock…. don’t ask!:eek: ).
This took an age to knit too- I started knitting it last September, did two months then gave up for the making of Christmas presents and then took it up again on and off in the New Year to finish the fronts and back and part sleeve. I manage to finish all the pieces in the summer time- in reality it only took about 4/5 months out of the year- but like many of my projects they are started with gusto then I lose the will to live with it and start something new.:eek:

Hats x

Btw Miss Sis your stocking stitch is sooo neat. Mine is getting worse- I blame it on my hate for purl rows and the fact I’m a lefty (Please don’t say you’re one too- it will shatter me!).

lol Boy do I know the feeling - the 'Oh my goodness, WHY did I start this! Will I EVER finish it?!?!' then starting something else instead. I have one jumper that is so nearly finished, I think I started it about five or six years ago? I can't even remember. I think I might *try* to finish it over Christmas. (probably a vain hope...)

And no, I'm not a Lefty, although lots of my family are. My mother is and she is a very neat knitter, sorry! I've just been lucky that I'm an even knitter. Never had any problems in that department, but if you do, tip: do a patterned stitch - it will disguise any uneven knitting. :)

Ladies, keep up the good work! It's not quick or easy but it's WORTH it. And I am really glad to see lots of young women can still knit, sew and crochet.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Elizabeth.F said:
I'm currently knitting a sweater from 1914 (not golden era I know) and yesterday I finished a pair of golf stockings from 1915 (still not golden era!) But my next project will be the Three Hour Sweater from the 1930s:
http://www.lrvictor.bravepages.com/Free/3-HOUR.htm
I think I remember somewhere in the Fedora Lounge a knit-a-long for it...

I've just printed this pattern off (thanks for posting the link), but I'm already encountering a problem!
The wool needed is listed as "Germantown Zephyr", and escribed as "a 4-fold yarn (4 twisted strands) of high quality virgin wool"... ummmm, what yarn/wool should I use considering the knitting vocabulary is limited to: 2-ply, 3-ply, 4-ply, double-knit & chunky !!!

I love everyone's knitting, you've persuaded me to finish my garter-stitch bag :)

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
Are you on Ravelry? This is a very popular pattern there and there are tons of finished sweaters and discussions of this pattern.

I'm doing the 3-hour, too! And so far it's taken me almost 3 hours to finish the back piece lol

I'm on ravelry, too-- maggiethespy is my user name.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Aurora said:
I've just printed this pattern off (thanks for posting the link), but I'm already encountering a problem!
The wool needed is listed as "Germantown Zephyr", and escribed as "a 4-fold yarn (4 twisted strands) of high quality virgin wool"... ummmm, what yarn/wool should I use considering the knitting vocabulary is limited to: 2-ply, 3-ply, 4-ply, double-knit & chunky !!!

I love everyone's knitting, you've persuaded me to finish my garter-stitch bag :)

Ravelry is a good place to start, if your on there. I'm using Caron Simply Soft because I'm allergic to wool, and It's what I had on hand-- I get gauge with it. A few others have used it as well. Another popular one is Lion Brand Wool Ease and Cascade 220.

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Aurora said:

Wow I don’t even own 10mm needles :eek: (old English size 000!) Gosh are they big or what- I only usually knit with no.14- 8’s. Seeing as it says 4 stitches to and inch (which will mean using the larger of the needles) For us British I would imagine that the yarn would be like a chunky dk or Arran…. Cant be sure though as I’ve lost my gauge.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
I didn't even see the "4 sts = 1 inch" !! It's been a long day :eek:

I just don't buy wool by the make, I need to know ply - Which is why I'm always so irate ate knitting magazine patterns (they know who they are!) - I've got a bag of wool, I'll have a rummage tomorrow afternoon.

I'm going in for the 3 hour challenge... I'll be back with you in a few days! :D

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Miss Sis said:
And no, I'm not a Lefty, although lots of my family are. My mother is and she is a very neat knitter, sorry! I've just been lucky that I'm an even knitter. Never had any problems in that department, but if you do, tip: do a patterned stitch - it will disguise any uneven knitting. :)

QUOTE]

Bother! My excuse will no longer work- some days it’s perfect others it’s rubbish. Like you said stick to patterns, which I do, not just because of my dodgy stocking stitch but because I get bored if I don’t have something that gives my brain the old work out.

No doubt I will post more pictures in the up and coming weeks of my ‘to be’ newly finished stockings and bathing costume. :rolleyes:

p.s I've just done a count up of unfinished knitting projects......6 at the moment- oops:eek:

Hattie x

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Aurora said:
I didn't even see the "4 sts = 1 inch" !! It's been a long day :eek:

I just don't buy wool by the make, I need to know ply - Which is why I'm always so irate ate knitting magazine patterns (they know who they are!) - I've got a bag of wool, I'll have a rummage tomorrow afternoon.

I'm going in for the 3 hour challenge... I'll be back with you in a few days! :D

Haha I think it should be the Fedora Lounge challenge to see if anyone can do it!

I say…
Stop watches at the ready!

Don’t get me started with modern knitting patterns- they make me all confuzzed (haha spell checker would hate my version!) I’ll stick to the old’uns.

all the best
Hats

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
retrogirl1941 said:
For all of us not in the UK its a size 15 needle! Whew! That is a large needle!:eek: Thank you Miss Hattie!

Samantha
No wonder it's called a 3-hr sweater! I've never knitted with a 15. I didn't think they used needles that big back then. I'm gonna have to give this pattern a shot. Anyone here familiar with Brown Sheep's cotton fleece? Would that work for this pattern?

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I've seen cotton fleece used, but Lamb's Pride is more comprable with other yarns used for this project. Really, you could use whatever yarn you like as long as you change the needles and tension to get gauge...

Good luck with your 3-hour sweaters, ladies! I'm off to watch Desk Set and see if I can finish mine.

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
kamikat said:

Yes I am on Ravelry. My name on there is Paddington. I found the pattern about a year ago though Google, though.

Just as a side note for anybody who wants to do the 3-hour sweater: The 4 stitches to the inch is referring to the ribbing on the bottom NOT to the stockinette stitch on the body! If you work 4 stitches to the inch on the body you will have a 27-inch chest! What you should be working the body at is about 3 stitches to the inch, which will give a 36-inch chest.

I thought that the germantown on size 15s is a bit big, so I'm knitting it in Cascade 220 doubled on size 15s.

It might be fun to do a knit-a-long to see how long everybody takes!

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
maggiethespy said:
I've seen cotton fleece used, but Lamb's Pride is more comprable with other yarns used for this project. Really, you could use whatever yarn you like as long as you change the needles and tension to get gauge...

Good luck with your 3-hour sweaters, ladies! I'm off to watch Desk Set and see if I can finish mine.

:eek:fftopic: , but I simply LOVE Desk Set. Sorry for the interruption in the thread:eek: . I really love all the beautiful things you ladies have made :eusa_clap. Thanks to the inspiration gained from this thread, I am going to attempt to teach myself to knit :eek: . We'll see how it goes. Keep up the good work ladies.
Sarah

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
maggiethespy said:
I've seen cotton fleece used, but Lamb's Pride is more comprable with other yarns used for this project. Really, you could use whatever yarn you like as long as you change the needles and tension to get gauge....

I'm allergic to wool and can't use anything that has more than 20% wool.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I'm on Raverly also....Hotrod-Elf. I think I might have to give the 3hour sweater a shot. I've only been knitting for a few months but have progressed really well and really enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21