Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
I just bought these, I'm so excited ^_^

dresspatt3.jpg
dresspatt2.jpg
dresspatt1.jpg

:eusa_clap

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
I have grand plans for these patterns!!!

If they're still in any kind of usable condition when I'm done, you can have them.

oooo they're on their wayyyyyyy.

I don't get out much, can you tell???!!!!!! lol

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
So I decided to get some new old patterns so I can do some great everyday clothes.... This is what I got:

I´m truely lacking blouses with a good fit, so.....

19638409_o.jpg

And some simple dresses - I hope they´ll be simple to make, too...

34_1.JPG

0b23_1.JPG

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Beware the crotch...

kamikat said:
vfl_104_cover.jpg

Ok, so my pattern is a 28" waist and I need a 26". I figured no problem, slight alteration, not a major rework of the pattern itself. So I make up the pants taking them in 2" in the waist...I'm quite excited to finish them because the plackets were lining up nice and everything was fitting together without major complications. I get ready to do the final fit up for the hem and miner sizing, when I realize the crotch is about 4" too long. :rage: :mad:

I have many vintage slacks with longer than modern crotches, but this is insane. The end of the crotch is half way to my knees. I could see it if the pattern was 4" larger, but I didn't think 2" would make a difference in the crotch like this. UGH.

Oh well, I guess it's not my first waste of fabric, at least the fabric was cheap.:(

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Miss Dexeter said:
I have grand plans for these patterns!!!

If they're still in any kind of usable condition when I'm done, you can have them.

oooo they're on their wayyyyyyy.

I don't get out much, can you tell???!!!!!! lol

Haha lol Sounds like me.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I am completely clueless when it comes to sewing - my home ec teacher walked me through my project back in high school! My mom, however, can sew clothes quite well, but she sold her sewing machine awhile ago.

Here's my question. How hard would it be to make this dress? I saw this pattern and fell in LOVE with it!

summer.jpg

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
pennyseranade said:
I get ready to do the final fit up for the hem and miner sizing, when I realize the crotch is about 4" too long. :rage: :mad:

I have many vintage slacks with longer than modern crotches, but this is insane. The end of the crotch is half way to my knees. I could see it if the pattern was 4" larger, but I didn't think 2" would make a difference in the crotch like this. UGH.

Oh well, I guess it's not my first waste of fabric, at least the fabric was cheap.:(

penny, i have a pair of vintage pants with the same problem! they're such a cute pattern, but the crotch is SO LONG. and i'm totally used to the longness of 40s crotches, but these are ridiculous! i wonder if they were made from that pattern! lol

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
AmateisGal said:
I am completely clueless when it comes to sewing - my home ec teacher walked me through my project back in high school! My mom, however, can sew clothes quite well, but she sold her sewing machine awhile ago.

Here's my question. How hard would it be to make this dress? I saw this pattern and fell in LOVE with it!

summer.jpg

It looks pretty easy to me and I'm no expert at sewing. I guess it just depends on what you consider difficult. I used to be afraid of button holes and now they're no sweat but zippers still kill me!

Neany73

New in Town
AmateisGal said:

I think with patience you could probably do it. I wouldn't say it's the easiest, but falling in love with something can often be the inspiration to finish something and do it properly.

I'm with Pink on zips though, I've been sewing for donkeys years and I still hate doing zips. I do them, but I hate it and rush it. Stupid really!

Snookie

Practically Family
pennyseranade said:
Ok, so my pattern is a 28" waist and I need a 26". I figured no problem, slight alteration, not a major rework of the pattern itself. So I make up the pants taking them in 2" in the waist...I'm quite excited to finish them because the plackets were lining up nice and everything was fitting together without major complications. I get ready to do the final fit up for the hem and miner sizing, when I realize the crotch is about 4" too long. :rage: :mad:

Sorry to hear this pattern didn't work out! I appreciate the tip though - I was considering getting that pattern, but I think I'll skip it. Not much you can do do to fix it now, but I'm glad you didn't waste expensive fabric.

Snookie

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:

summer.jpg

Very cute pattern, I'm looking for a similar jumper pattern myself right now.

If you have someone around to help you, it should be feasible, esp. if you're patient and not too picky. If you use a lightweight cotton it'll be easier - it won't drape quite as well, but far easier to sew than something slinkier. Consider starting with the bolero, then seeing if you have the steam to keep going.

The bolero and a matching skirt would be cute with a store-bought blouse, too.

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
AmateisGal said:

summer.jpg

When I make something for the first time I do a mock up using canvas, then I can make any necessary alterations etc. The fabric is cheap & so I don't care too much about the waste, as I will end up with the perfect finish.

In theory.

That's my tip anyway :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
pennyseranade said:
I get ready to do the final fit up for the hem and miner sizing, when I realize the crotch is about 4" too long. :rage: :mad:

Being tight on money, I'm not giving up! I took up a 1/2in fold through the crotch area on the pattern itself, before cutting. I have since trimmed off another 1/2in off the top edge. I think I need to trim off another 1/2in, then it will be good. However, at this point, I'll need a much narrower hem and will need to redo the darts at the back waist. While my tester fabric was cheap, it's a nice, dark denim that will be wearable if I get it right. With each little adjustment, they are looking better and better. I'm surprised at how good I look in full pants, now that they fit. I've tried full pants in the past and felt like a whale. BTW, the pattern says it's a 28 waist, but it fits me like a dream (except crotch length) and I have a 31 waist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80