• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Show us your weird and unusual stuff.

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by dh66, Aug 8, 2015.

1. That's a cool ride 2Jakes. I found the rat rod bikes site about the time I got my Murray monterray a few months ago. Some seriously cool stuff on there. Glad to know there's other cruiser fans around here.

Harv, I hope you keep those where they'd be handy in case of a break-in.

2. :rofl:

3. 2Jakes! Young son was contract project archaeologist on the acequia last year.

4. The site was on the east side of the Alamo. Closer to the freeway by a Deny’s diner.

It’s a shame that the water way was demolished. This was part of the system that Santa Anna’s soldiers
    tried to block passage to the Alamo. A well was made inside the grounds to supply water to the men of the Alamo.
    There are acequias on the far south side by the old missions that are still standing.
    I recently discovered that the missions originally were very colorful with tiles of all colors on the exteriors.
    There is a tiny remnant of such examples at San Jose.

San Jose Mission today as is:
    [​IMG]

Back then....
    [​IMG]
    I only had enough tiles for the side ..but you get the picture !

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. That's the one! It was also used as a dump by the city of San Antonio in the 1870's and 80's. So there was lots of stuff! I think the old Hemisfair plaza was in some of it to. Correct??? Heck I have been down in that area in years.

6. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

That's a nice piece!
    Difficult to see the upper left quadrant character, but it seems to be a name, but I can't make out if it's the artists name, or a manufacturers name. Got a clearer pic?

7. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

My hand carved wooden masks from South Africa.
    CIMG0414.JPG

8. Very nice!! I knew you had the goods squirreled away up there, boots. Those are exceptional looking masks.

https://youtu.be/ypGHvr0Dlb8
    Banana daiquiri time!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. Hey Bama, those are SMOKIN..!!

10. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Dig em boots

11. Wire9Vintage

Wire9Vintage A-List Customer

Are you In these parts?? I was a tour guide at San Jose--I love the acequias something fierce. They may be ditches to the uninformed, but we know better!

12. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

HD and Dale, thanks. I somehow knew Dale would be the only one to make a Tsetse fly reference.

13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Mikespens, thank you, sir.

14. Here my contribution to the hand carved mask exhibit. Mexican, not African, though. I believe it was made down around Oaxaca.
    [​IMG]
    It has real goat horns.

Not hand carved, but fun, and also from south of the border.
    [​IMG]

15. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Nice, a little Diablo and "Nacho Libre" together. Very cool.

16. Thanks, Bama.

Bushman - if you're out there - am I remembering right that you are a mask collector, and that they might be a good fit for this thread?

17. Hey! Those jackalopes gotta lot of meat on em !!

And delicious too!!

But they really don't taste like chicken.

18. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

Renault;
    shoot one for supper
    [​IMG]

19. Thanks! I'll make a copy!!! LOL!

20. Yes. The Mission Espada still has the original acequias from centuries ago.
    I managed to save a stone from the one near the Alamo before the demolition crew wiped it out
    to make way for a new hotel or parking lot.